Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

DPA Breach?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
RedSnapper
2 Lemon pips

DPA Breach?

Postby RedSnapper » December 1st, 2018, 1:42 pm

I have a Barclaycard. The account is in my name and my wife is an additional card holder. We've had this arrangement for many years. This week my wife noticed that this card was showing in her list of accounts on her Barclays banking app. I assumed it would relate just to transactions on her additional card, but it actually shows all transactions (they are 99.9% on my card).

I queried it with Barclays and they say she added her card to her app (she didn't) and that if I don;t want it so show in her app I need to get her to remove it. Now it's not a problem as such, we are completely open with each other about finances, but it doesn't seem right that Barclays can allow her sight of my account without my permission. It is quite clear that I am the sole account holder....if I try to add another additional card holder they make the following statement "As the primary cardholder, you're responsible for all transactions and payments on this account. For your security, we can only discuss the account with you personally." Yet they can give her full sight of my transactions?

Is this a breach of DPA (or other legislation) of am I going mad?

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: DPA Breach?

Postby richlist » December 1st, 2018, 4:09 pm

I have no idea if it's a breach of the DPA......but it certainly doesn't sound right to me.

The mistake many people make is that they think their bank(s) genuinely care about them as customers. Banks are unlikely to do anything until they are pushed into a corner and forced to take action.

I treat my bank(s) with utter contempt and expect to receive the same from them. I'm sure they see me as a means of making money......I see them as a way of obtaining some interest and getting some direct debits paid.

Dorn1

Re: DPA Breach?

Postby Dorn1 » December 24th, 2018, 10:23 am

I'd raise it with one of the consumer groups (eg. Radio 4 MoneyBox) or an useful on-line site like The register.
As a mere customer you can't get through to the people who understand these issues, it needs bad publicity to do that!
Chris

Return to “Does anyone know?”