Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Aga

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Aga

Postby melonfool » December 25th, 2018, 5:05 pm

Anyone know how to relight a gas Aga....... Christmas depends on it.....

Ta

Mel

:)

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Re: Aga

Postby jfgw » December 25th, 2018, 5:46 pm

Do you know where the gas valve is? There should be instructions nearby (such as on the door). I am not familiar with Agas but it may involve holding in a knob, pressing an ignition button repeatedly until the pilot lights, then waiting a few seconds before releasing the knob (otherwise it will go out again).

Julian F. G. W.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 25th, 2018, 6:26 pm

melonfool wrote:Anyone know how to relight a gas Aga....... Christmas depends on it.....

Ta

Mel

:)

Hope your Aga is now lit and you are having a good Christmas but here are some instructions:

http://www.rayburn-web.co.uk/Prodin/Uni ... 515931.pdf

RC

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 25th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Oh, sorry, panic info fail, it's oil!

No, it's not lit but even if it was it takes about twelve hours to reheat......

So, the duck is being cooked over the living room fire. Veg can be microwaved. Just lucky we weren't having turkey and the starter is ceviche. And puds are already done.

We do need to get it on for the rest of the days though. The problem is, it's very old and the usual way to relight it has failed.

Mel

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 25th, 2018, 6:42 pm

(there is no ignition)

Mel - topping up my wine glass......

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 25th, 2018, 6:46 pm

melonfool wrote:(there is no ignition)

Mel - topping up my wine glass......

Cheers! OK, instructions for an oil powered Aga.

https://www.blakeandbull.co.uk/blogs/ne ... structions

HTH

RC

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 25th, 2018, 6:53 pm

We followed those, it didn't work. Also, it's still a bit warm so not sure if we should. Hey ho

I've called the landlord, and we've called an engineer but no answer, not unreasonably.

Making pisco sours now to go with the ceviche....

At least my sister isn't crying any more.

Mel

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » December 25th, 2018, 9:15 pm

Looking on the bright side, it will be a Christmas you'll never forget ;)

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 25th, 2018, 11:27 pm

staffordian wrote:Looking on the bright side, it will be a Christmas you'll never forget ;)

That is true. But we can't forget last year cos the Aga lost temperature and the pork wouldn't crisp and could not cook roasties. This year I solved that by doing the roasties the day before, just to be warmed and fried over today.

We can't forget the year before because the beef was overcooked and same re spuds (waiting for spuds was what led the beef to be overcooked), ate about ten pm.

We can't forget the year before because we hired a house in Scotland with......an Aga. And could not cook the brisket or the spuds, and that year there were nine of us. This was our first Aga experience. We were not set up for it. And the venison was chewy.

The year before I wasn't with them all, but they had a new oven (previous house). Yay! But it but it broke on Christmas day and they had to cook the dinner on the wood burning stove.....

It would be quite nice to have an unmemorable Christmas for once!

Mel

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » December 25th, 2018, 11:58 pm

melonfool wrote:
staffordian wrote:Looking on the bright side, it will be a Christmas you'll never forget ;)

That is true. But we can't forget last year cos the Aga lost temperature and the pork wouldn't crisp and could not cook roasties. This year I solved that by doing the roasties the day before, just to be warmed and fried over today.

We can't forget the year before because the beef was overcooked and same re spuds (waiting for spuds was what led the beef to be overcooked), ate about ten pm.

We can't forget the year before because we hired a house in Scotland with......an Aga. And could not cook the brisket or the spuds, and that year there were nine of us. This was our first Aga experience. We were not set up for it. And the venison was chewy.

The year before I wasn't with them all, but they had a new oven (previous house). Yay! But it but it broke on Christmas day and they had to cook the dinner on the wood burning stove.....

It would be quite nice to have an unmemorable Christmas for once!

Mel

A microwaveable meat and two veg from M&S might be more foolproof ;)

--kiloran

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » December 26th, 2018, 7:43 am

Was the AGA out or did it go out? Relight implies the latter to me, have you checked the oil level in the tank? Obvious I know but...

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » December 26th, 2018, 8:27 am

Hi Mel,

I dunno if your oil aga is anything like the oil-fired boiler in the house we had when we were in Beds. Basically we had left it several years without a service, then suddenly we stopped being able to relit it. It just went onto a kind of fail indication. With ours (and most other oil boilers of that time), it was mainly the "nozzles" or something, and it was very cheap (>£100) to address. We were advised by the engineer that these oil boilers are tough as old boots, but should probably get them looked at every couple of years (or something like that). We did from then on, and (IIRC) he'd just show up, and change the nozzles (?) and hoover it out and that was that.....

(Wish our heating affairs were still that simple!!...)

Matt

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » December 26th, 2018, 8:37 am

If it is an old AGA it will have a vapourisng burner, wicks, not nozzles. Modern one do have a pressure jet burner I believe.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » December 26th, 2018, 8:38 am

On the XMas meal department - I was supposed to be cooking yesterday. Well I had volunteered. Thing is I was working (day job) right through to XMas Eve and was dreading the prospect of working the very next day so to speak.

So I chickened out and "suggested" (last week) we'd just to go the Local Spiceland Indian Buffet Restaurant for Chrimbo lunch. The suggestion was approved by on high, and it turned out that lunch was available there for £20/head, still a lot of Bangladeshi stuff, but also the management's take on English Traditional fare (ho ho ho!) with like roasties, chips, vegs, brussels done a-la-englishadeshi, simmered turkey and simmered lamb. And the whole experience was actually very good (alkies can bring their own booze, so that bit is v. cheap). It was amazing, as the places seats probably a good couple of hundred, to see all the people who came out of the woodwork.

And the double bonus - no washing up.

Matt

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 26th, 2018, 6:03 pm

Imbiber wrote:Was the AGA out or did it go out? Relight implies the latter to me, have you checked the oil level in the tank? Obvious I know but...

It went out. Was all fine Christmas Eve, then problems with breakfast pancakes but noone clicked what the problem was......then the duck was living true to the joke "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it needs longer in the oven", after two hours. So then we realised. It does take a long time to cool down so it's not obvious until something isn't cooking at all.

Plenty of oil, was just delivered the other day.

Mel

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 26th, 2018, 6:05 pm

Imbiber wrote:If it is an old AGA it will have a vapourisng burner, wicks, not nozzles. Modern one do have a pressure jet burner I believe.

It's very old, from the 1940's we think.

Personally I have no idea why anyone would live in a house with such an unreliable useless device.

Mel

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 26th, 2018, 6:12 pm

I'd love to go out for Christmas lunch, but sister would most definitely not countenance such an idea, plus nephew likes cooking (usually). Also, she lives in the middle of nowhere so someone would have to drive and not drink. Given how much special drink we all like (bucks fizz with breakfast, nice gins, champagne with presents, white wine with lunch, pisco sours with ceviche, St Emillion with the duck, dessert wine with pudding, port or whisky after.....oh and the odd white Russian thrown in) I can't see that working!

It is serviced regularly, she says it was done not that long ago.

We've not been able to relight it. She's going to try to get an engineer tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath.

No sausage rolls!

Mel

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 26th, 2018, 6:21 pm

melonfool wrote:
Plenty of oil, was just delivered the other day.

Could this be significant Mel?

I don't wish to sound as though I know anything at all about Aga's, but I just wanted to check if the new oil-delivery had been considered, in case it might be the cause of the problem.

If the oil ran out previously, before the new top-up, does an Aga perhaps need bleeding-through to get the new oil, or any potential air-locks, through the system?

Some threads here suggesting that this might be the case sometimes, where ignition issues then occur?

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=207&t=1116194

http://www.agacentral.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=547

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » December 26th, 2018, 6:32 pm

melonfool wrote:Given how much special drink we all like (bucks fizz with breakfast, nice gins, champagne with presents, white wine with lunch, pisco sours with ceviche, St Emillion with the duck, dessert wine with pudding, port or whisky after.....oh and the odd white Russian thrown in) I can't see that working!

Ah, I think the cause of the problem is becoming evident :D

--kiloran

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » December 26th, 2018, 7:03 pm

kiloran wrote:
melonfool wrote:Given how much special drink we all like (bucks fizz with breakfast, nice gins, champagne with presents, white wine with lunch, pisco sours with ceviche, St Emillion with the duck, dessert wine with pudding, port or whisky after.....oh and the odd white Russian thrown in) I can't see that working!

Ah, I think the cause of the problem is becoming evident :D

--kiloran

Are you blaming the odd Russians for trying to get even?

Whoops, just spotted where we are ...

Return to “Does anyone know?”