Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Messaging HMRC

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Messaging HMRC

Postby stewamax » January 5th, 2019, 9:04 pm

If logged on via the Government Gateway it used to be possible to send messages to HMRC about my tax account - and have them answered.
DAK whether this facility was withdrawn or is it just well-hidden?
Messaging now appears to be one way only: HMRC to me.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Re: Messaging HMRC

Postby chas49 » January 5th, 2019, 9:19 pm

You can webchat or phone apparently...

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/business ... ntact-hmrc

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » January 5th, 2019, 9:49 pm

chas49 wrote:You can webchat or phone apparently...

Indeed. The problem is that Webchat is either solidly busy or unavailable, and ringing them needs patience and tolerance of a phone bill.
Either the Gateway service is secure or it isn't. And if authentication and session security (https) are adequate for a webchat, they should also be adequate for secure messaging.
But I have used such a service with HMRC in the past and I can't help thinking that it is still available but hidden in the labyrinthine detail of its websites.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 6th, 2019, 6:57 pm

A few days ago I had email from them: "you have a new message". Was too ill to follow up at the time.
Yesterday I logged in (to Self Assessessment), and after a far longer time than I should have to spend down a labyrinth of blind alleys (the worst being a "Contact HMRC" tab whose page froze my browser), I found the message. Turned out to be totally mundane and requiring no action or response. I presume I could've sent them a message from somewhere there.

Getting there became easy once I'd hit a "home" link on their service. Of course the actual label wasn't anything so intuitive as "home", and I don't recollect what it was.

When I logged out, it invited me to give feedback, so I did. Yes I had found what I was looking for, but it was much harder than it should have been.

Summary advice: try every promising-looking link EXCEPT that evil "Contact HMRC" tab.

[edit] Self Assessessment? Hmm, I kind-of like it. Anyone for banananana dakry?

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » January 7th, 2019, 2:45 pm

sending them a secure message is as others have said almost impossible to find

I have also given feedback to this effect, but as expected no notice is taken of anything remotely critical of a government postion

in addition
when asking questions bear in mind that whoever answers will not have looked at the file to check on the answer given

I asked a question on my daughters account for whom they have written consent/authority to deal with me...but was refused because it wasn't my account
no effort made to check!

that aside I find doing tax return online SO much better and easier than all that form filling!!

Return to “Does anyone know?”