Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

UCAS applications

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
didds
Lemon Half

Re: UCAS applications

Postby didds » January 21st, 2019, 1:34 pm

Shenstone wrote: even a mediocre university wants ABB for a MEng.

Generally speaking, not about Shenstone's lad, but I'm still not getting why a "medicocre MEng" even exists if the entire industry is besotted with RG unis only ? Why would anyone stuydy for a "medicore MEng" when no employer will accept it?

didds

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » January 21st, 2019, 2:14 pm

there are many courses being studied which are of no use to employers
but
one government (??) decided that more should go to uni
so more do
obviously therefore the value of degrees is automatically downgraded

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » January 21st, 2019, 2:17 pm

didds wrote:Generally speaking, not about Shenstone's lad, but I'm still not getting why a "mediocre MEng" even exists if the entire industry is besotted with RG unis only ? Why would anyone study for a "mediocre MEng" when no employer will accept it?

I guess either the entire industry isn't actually besotted with RG Uni MEng's, or students don't realise it is, and think they'll be okay studying at a non-RG uni. It's probably somewhere in the middle. Looking at the league tables, there are certainly non-RG Unis that have a very high "Graduate Prospects" score, i.e. students getting a graduate level job, as high if not higher than RG Unis. Yes, there's probably some lies damn lies and statistics in there but still...

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 21st, 2019, 3:24 pm

UncleIan wrote:there are certainly non-RG Unis that have a very high "Graduate Prospects" score, i.e. students getting a graduate level job, as high if not higher than RG Unis. Yes, there's probably some lies damn lies and statistics in there but still...

hmmm... possibly ending up as accontants with an MEng (accountancy merely picked as an example. Id have no idea!).

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » January 21st, 2019, 3:29 pm

Hi Shenstone, I have sent you a PM with some comments from my son, who took a MEng many years ago.

Shenstone

Postby Shenstone » October 11th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Apologies RichFool. I have only just seen this. I haven't used the boards for a while.
As an update to all who contributed to the discussion, my son started at Cardiff Uni at the end of September and is loving it.
Loves the city too which from my short time there when we dropped him off I'm not surprised.

Shenstone

Return to “Does anyone know?”