Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

New Mattress

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

New Mattress

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 17th, 2019, 12:58 pm

I need a new mattress - for convenience I'm probably getting one from IKEA
Double.

Narrowed it down to ;
HÖVÅG Pocket sprung mattress FIRM
HÖVÅG Pocket sprung mattress Medium firm
MORGEDAL Memory foam mattress Medium firm
MORGEDAL foam mattress FIRM

I have a history of lower back trouble, but much better these days. I'm 6', just under 13st, and always alone...

So - Firm or medium firm?
Pocket sprung or foam?
If foam , the memory foam medium firm or plain foam firm ?
Any experience of these, positive or negative?

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: New Mattress

Postby richlist » January 17th, 2019, 1:51 pm

We have a mattress with a memory foam topper attached.....it's awful.

The problem is its just to hot. It was very expensive, came with a bed from Benson's and am now looking to replace it......less than a year old and can't live with it any more.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » January 17th, 2019, 2:03 pm

richlist wrote:We have a mattress with a memory foam topper attached.....it's awful.

The problem is its just to hot. It was very expensive, came with a bed from Benson's and am now looking to replace it......less than a year old and can't live with it any more.

========

latex - such as dunlopillo - is cool .

i think memory foam is a massive con - do we really want the bed to remember our position ?

i suspect the foam in question also happens to be cheaper - and it isnt cool.

ps weve had our dunlopillo mattress's over 50 years - still fine . (the mattresses) .

:)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 17th, 2019, 4:15 pm

Some of the online reviews of the IKEA ones mention odd smells and 'outgassing'.. :shock:

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » January 17th, 2019, 4:44 pm

I favour pocket sprung mattresses (aim at the firmer end of the scale), and definitely NOT foam mattresses (memory or otherwise).

Don't be afraid to look at special mattress suppliers as opposed to IKEA.

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » January 17th, 2019, 6:25 pm

[quote]I thought the 'memory' it was to remember the original position of the foam, not the position of the sleeper?[/quote

Exactly. You sink into memory foam and it cradles you but then it returns to its original shape when you get up. After many years of back trouble I bought an expensive Tempur Memory Foam mattress and I found it substantially reduced my back issues. Whether you think memory foam or non-memory foam is 'hot' is an entirely individual experience. I never found memory foam over-warm at all, in fact in winter I found it a bit chilly to lie on initially but then it warmed up okay. It's worth saying that I'm the sort of person who goes about in mid-winter in sandals and with bare arms poking out of a gilet type padded jacket, I only resort to covering my feet and my arms when it is snowing or an exceptionally cold day. I'm making this point because of how important it is to consider your individual reaction to temperature under different circumstances. I've never personally been over-hot on a memory foam mattress even in mid-summer but my personal reaction to temperature is that as long as I am up and about I feel cold less than many people, once I'm inactive/in bed I feel the cold very badly.

The catch with memory foam is that comfortable though I always found it you do sink into it - you are supposed to sink into it - but then the catch is that to turn over you sort of have to elbow your way over. For many years I had reddened elbows which took the brunt of turning me over but it was worth it. Unfortunately due to a progressive arthritic condition, when my Tempur mattress came to the end of its life (some years after the life predicted for it) as I was getting older and more arthritic I had to decide if I could really manage the turning over on such a mattress for many more years and decided I couldn't. I still don't know if that was the right decision as the replacement mattress - one of those which comes as an online out of the box service - is a sort of combination with some memory foam and some other elements but has not proved to be entirely satisfactory from my point of view. I'm still looking for my perfect mattress.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » January 17th, 2019, 7:09 pm

I bought a spring mattress from Ikea within the last two years and am very pleased with it. I agree with others that memory foam is too hot. We had a separate foam topper which wasn't a success.

The Ikea mattress has foam edges and corners. These did smell rather bad intially. My solution was to leave the mattress in a spare room with the windows open. It took around three weeks for the smell to go.

regards

Howard

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » January 17th, 2019, 7:41 pm

My wife bought a good-quality memory foam mattress topper around 10-15 years ago and it lasted just a few nights. We hated it, very hot and sweaty.

My mum has a memory-foam bed in a spare bedroom which we use when we visit, but we also find that quite warm and don't think it is comfortable. It's a very different sensation to a normal mattress. Maybe we are just conditioned to normal mattresses, and I'm sure some prefer memory foam, but I would tread very carefully if you are thinking of having one.

--kiloran

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 17th, 2019, 9:45 pm

I've had a look at the expensive memory foam (and other) mattresses -Eve? , Emma etc and they are north of £500 for a double, so could be an expensive mistake if I don't like them. I know they do 100 day trials etc but could do without the hassle.
The IKEA ones are <£200. I'm currently minded to get the firm box spring jobbie (HÖVÅG) but still worried about the smell. I'll be going from an airbed to a mattress in my sole bedroom so 'airing' it in a spare room isn't an option

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 18th, 2019, 4:45 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:
The IKEA ones are <£200. I'm currently minded to get the firm box spring jobbie (HÖVÅG) but still worried about the smell.

I'll be going from an airbed to a mattress in my sole bedroom so 'airing' it in a spare room isn't an option

Don't let the threat of a new-matress-smell put you off anything - they'll all smell to some degree for a short while.

We got a new mattress a few months ago, and the new-mattress smell was actually stated in the mattress instructions - with a note to say not to worry, and that it'll disperse within a few days.

We had to sleep on it from the first night of installation, and whilst it did smell for a few days, it wasn't a smell that we couldn't cope with and it did indeed go away completely after a few days.

The IKEA one you're looking at was on our options list, and if we had an IKEA closer to us was the one we would have gone for. I certainly wouldn't let any concern regarding a new-mattress smell put you off - it's extremely likely to be short-lived, and will almost certainly happen with any option you might go for.

I'm another that doesn't get on well with the memory-foam mattresses, and find them far too clammy and hot. Give me a good, firm pocket-sprung one any day.....

We'll of course expect a full-report.....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

orangepekoe

Postby orangepekoe » January 18th, 2019, 8:57 am

We bought 2 single Hovag mattresses over a year ago and had no problem with smell. But maybe that's cos they replaced 15 year old mattresses in a teenager's room so the new smell was an improvement.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 18th, 2019, 9:00 am

Cheers, I'll go for the box spring HÖVÅG firm.
Got to be an improvement on an airbed with a slow puncture!

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » January 18th, 2019, 9:17 am

Quite a few top names sell mattresses. Tempura, Eve, Casper, Emma along with Silent Night, IKEA and Premier Inn (Hypnos)etc.

If you're interested a quick web search will provide details.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » January 19th, 2019, 1:01 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:Cheers, I'll go for the box spring HÖVÅG firm.

I was going to go on about how, since you say you have had lower back pains in the past, you can't be too careful and shouldn't discount the 100 day trial offers that pretty much all the "mattress in a box" sellers offer (e.g. Eve, Casper, Leesa, Emma, Otty, Bruno, Simba & Hugge). I did two 100 day tests and they are genuinely painless to return a mattress, or at least the Leesa one was which is the one I returned. Then I saw your comment about "Got to be an improvement on an airbed with a slow puncture!" so you don't seem to be setting yourself too high a bar to get over in which case you've probably made a pretty safe choice.

I think going firm is probably the best option. Being heavier you're going to sink into a mattress more than I would for instance (I'm 10 stone) so the same "firm" mattress might only feel medium-firm to you whereas it might feel rock-hard to me. You do also have the option of putting a mattress topper on top of it if it turns out too firm. Ikea also has a 90 day exchange policy on mattresses (https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/customer-ser ... rn-policy/) so you have that as a safety net as well although it's an exchange rather than a refund by the look of it; still something though.

I hope it works out. Out of interest, do you have any idea how to pronounce what you're intending to buy? That's one of the problems with Ikea - "Billy bookcase" I can manage, most of the other stuff is a bit more challenging to pronounce :)

- Julian

Arfer

Postby Arfer » January 19th, 2019, 9:04 am

Old rule : "Yet gets with yet pays for".
We ALWAYS get a good traditionally built mattress. You spend 25 to 33 percent of your life on it and it contributes greatly to the quality of your sleep.
Try a quality shop and stretch out on a £500 plus mattress and consider.
Like a wife, you should ensure sleeping together is both pleasurable and comfortable.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » January 19th, 2019, 11:09 am

Dunlopillo latex foam (not memory foam) mattresses are excellent, last around 15 years (I have owned four - not all for me!), and are - inevitably - expensive. But a good investment.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 19th, 2019, 12:04 pm

The IKEA one is arriving Monday, less than £200 so not a disaster if it's awful. I may try a Leesa, Emma, or similar if my back gets worse.I
Pronunciation?
I'm guessing it's something like Who-varg, but may be wrong.
Any Scandinavians post here? There was a Finnish chap but he seems to have stopped posting

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 19th, 2019, 12:12 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Pronunciation?
I'm guessing it's something like Who-varg, but may be wrong.

HÖVÅG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y05Y7dy098

Sounded something like hervel.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 19th, 2019, 1:12 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:The IKEA one is arriving Monday, less than £200 so not a disaster if it's awful. I may try a Leesa, Emma, or similar if my back gets worse.I
Pronunciation?

The Swedish alphabet has three additional letters compared to English.
Ö is not easy to map to a single English sound. Not far from the ou of "tour", but it's not a dipthong.
Å is an "or" or "ore", or the au of bauxite. Or since we have an ou, the ou of "four".

The consonants are OK if you just use the English values, though in some accents the final G could partly disappear.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » January 21st, 2019, 10:48 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:Cheers, I'll go for the box spring HÖVÅG firm.

That brings back memories. When we moved to this house we hadn't sold our previous one so we were spending time at both. We bought a blow up mattress to use here until we moved all our furniture. The damned thing had a leak so the first night I woke up at 4 a.m. effectively sleeping on the floor . My wife is a heavy sleeper and was still fast on so I had to find the pump and fiddle around connecting it whilst still half asleep. By the time I finished I was wide awake so decided there was no point in going back to bed.

The next night was the same. This continued for a while because the shop we had bought it from was out of stock.

Return to “Does anyone know?”