Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Dogwatching

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Arfer

Dogwatching

Postby Arfer » January 17th, 2019, 10:36 pm

Needing a system to watch our 4 dogs while out, I looked at several "Home security" camera systems with Wifi.

Our ideal camera site is near a twin power socket. We had a camera some years ago that took power and transmitted via wifi to our router thence to our phone wherever we were.

Nowadays it seems you need ethernet cable from camera to router, but this is not possible unless one could use a wifi range extender in the other of the twin mains sockets.

Any ideas from experienced fools please?

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Dogwatching

Postby servodude » January 18th, 2019, 1:01 am

We use a Maginon IPC-100 AC for this kind of thing when needed
- we picked it up from ALDI on a whim a while ago, and have used it quite regularly since (holidays, dog sitting etc)

There is an ethernet port on it that you can use for initial configuration; basically so you can tell it your Wifi info
Once setup the ethernet cable can be removed and it lives on the wifi network only
- you can use the ethernet cable if it helps but it is not required

I would think that any wifi camera would be similar (google for wireless IP camera)
- you can even get "pet-cams" that dispense treats or wave lasers (not really my thing tho)

If the issue is of wifi signal we get round this by using ethernet over power wifi extenders (TP-LINK AV500 to be precise)
I have two in different corners of the house - both using the same APN (access point name) as the router itself
- that means that there appears to be only one wireless network even though there are actually 3 places you can connect to it
- this allows us to stick the camera wherever it is needed - depending on which pets are under observation

I hope some of that might help?
Have fun
- sd

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Re: Dogwatching

Postby BobbyD » January 18th, 2019, 7:42 am

servodude wrote:- you can even get "pet-cams" that dispense treats or wave lasers (not really my thing tho)

The built in speakers are good for freaking out burglars though, and you can hurl doggy treats at them until they leave.

Return to “Does anyone know?”