Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

faulty reading on scales

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
pancake101
Lemon Pip

faulty reading on scales

Postby pancake101 » January 31st, 2019, 9:51 am

Hi

Another set of scales I cannot get to work. Both with the same problem.

The reading instead of numbers is a range of shapes some may look letters.

I changed the battery and after the initial 88888 it always settles to something like oUL2 - the L has a middle prong like an upside down F. I only have two bits to press and have tried all options- I think.

Landfill or repairable?

TIA

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: faulty reading on scales

Postby bungeejumper » January 31st, 2019, 10:23 am

Bathroom rather than kitchen scales, I assume? And do they do tricks like measuring body fat, that require a height value to be programmed in?

It doesn't sound very hopeful, TBH. Random stuff on the digital display is probably either a faulty display or a faulty source of data, such as a damaged (or half-unplugged) data ribbon. If you can get inside it, the fault might be obvious.

Of course, it might be simply a second dud battery that isn't delivering enough oomph. Maybe try one last battery change? Wouldn't be the first time, in my experience. :|

What was it Arthur Dent said? It must be Thursday. I never did get the hang of Thursdays.

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 31st, 2019, 11:17 am

Try removing batteries, cleaning contacts and replacing
If no good try a known good set of batteries as BJ suggests
Is there a reset to factory settings option (holding buttons down, sticking a pin in a wee hole etc)?
Is it VERY COLD in your bathroom ?

pancake101
Lemon Pip

Postby pancake101 » January 31st, 2019, 5:33 pm

First scales were the bathroom scales, gave up after putting new batteries and not getting anything anything different, I made sure new batteries were put in (tested them as well) the latest scales to have similar googledygook showing are the kitchen ones.

Kitchen much warmer than bathroom, no reset button or hole. Tried pressing buttons to clear, three different batteries and cannot make it work.

Did try cleaning contact this after reading it maybe what is needed but still no long .

Thank you for answering - it was worth a try.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » January 31st, 2019, 6:28 pm

pancake101 wrote:Hi
I changed the battery and after the initial 88888 it always settles to something like oUL2 - the L has a middle prong like an upside down F.
TIA

An "L" with a middle prong is a "t".

It might be fixable,

http://www.fixya.com/support/t2664350-s ... plays_out2

But the manufacturer may say not,

My scale’s display reads "Out2", what does this mean?

Out2 is displayed when too much force (i.e. overload) has affected, and potentially damaged the load cell.

https://escali.com/faq

I'm not sure what calibration weights you would need for kitchen or bathroom scales or how you would get into calibration mode (if you can). If you have or can borrow another scale, you could weigh out a jug of water, sugar, whatever to 100g, 1Kg or whatever you think you might need. A bucket may be useful for the bathroom scales.

HTH,

Julian F. G. W.

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » January 31st, 2019, 6:57 pm

As someone who has to visit the quack at least once a year, I decided three or four years ago to take our 40 year old spring balance type bathroom scales with me and place them side by side with the surgery's presumably calibrated scales and move from one to the other and compare readings. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my scales read 1kg less than the surgery scales. (66kg if you're even remotely interested). No objections were raised by the staff when I explained that it was the only way I could test them.

ten0rman

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 31st, 2019, 7:08 pm

ten0rman wrote:As someone who has to visit the quack at least once a year, I decided three or four years ago to take our 40 year old spring balance type bathroom scales with me and place them side by side with the surgery's presumably calibrated scales and move from one to the other and compare readings. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my scales read 1kg less than the surgery scales. (66kg if you're even remotely interested). No objections were raised by the staff when I explained that it was the only way I could test them.

Could you not just have weighed yourself on the control scales, and then again as quickly as possible on the one at home? Your weight would not change in between the two weighings unless you ate a meal or did a number two.

Or use something of known weight e.g. a certain volume of water?

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » January 31st, 2019, 11:07 pm

jfgw wrote:I'm not sure what calibration weights you would need for kitchen or bathroom scales or how you would get into calibration mode (if you can). If you have or can borrow another scale, you could weigh out a jug of water, sugar, whatever to 100g, 1Kg or whatever you think you might need. A bucket may be useful for the bathroom scales.

HTH,

Julian F. G. W.

Kitchen scale should be easy. If you don't have any old style weights for balance scales kicking around use a known volume of water. It shouldn't vary meaningfully from 1kg per litre even if it is out of the tap. So a trusted measuring jug, a tablespoon measure etc. In the absence of anything else a syringe shouldn't be too hard to get hold of and provide a decent measure.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 1st, 2019, 7:27 am

jfgw wrote:An "L" with a middle prong is a "t".

It might be fixable,

http://www.fixya.com/support/t2664350-s ... plays_out2

But the manufacturer may say not,

My scale’s display reads "Out2", what does this mean?

Out2 is displayed when too much force (i.e. overload) has affected, and potentially damaged the load cell.

https://escali.com/faq

You live and learn. Wow!

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 1st, 2019, 9:12 am

I did think 'fault code' but the possible 'nonsense' digit threw me (honest!)
Most of the ones I see are in hexadecimal: 2b, A7, 3c9 etc etc

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » February 1st, 2019, 9:30 am

Lootman,

I could have, but this way I was assured that everything was absolutely identical, weight wise.

ten0rman

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » February 1st, 2019, 1:29 pm

BobbyD wrote:Kitchen scale should be easy. If you don't have any old style weights for balance scales kicking around use a known volume of water. It shouldn't vary meaningfully from 1kg per litre even if it is out of the tap. So a trusted measuring jug, a tablespoon measure etc. In the absence of anything else a syringe shouldn't be too hard to get hold of and provide a decent measure.

It might run off.

I suppose you could freeze it.

Julian F. G. W.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » February 1st, 2019, 2:07 pm

jfgw wrote:
BobbyD wrote:Kitchen scale should be easy. If you don't have any old style weights for balance scales kicking around use a known volume of water. It shouldn't vary meaningfully from 1kg per litre even if it is out of the tap. So a trusted measuring jug, a tablespoon measure etc. In the absence of anything else a syringe shouldn't be too hard to get hold of and provide a decent measure.

It might run off.

I suppose you could freeze it.

It would help if you could zero during calibration ...no idea if you can, the only scales I've ever calibrated had a few more decimal places than your average kitchen scales.

Return to “Does anyone know?”