Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Manicure/pedicure

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Manicure/pedicure

Postby brightncheerful » March 11th, 2019, 11:55 am

Every 6 weeks for the past 4 years or so for the princely sum of £15 at each appointment I have had a professional manicure my fingernails and toenails, For reasons that need not concern. the professional is unable to continue so I am having to revert to doing it myself. I suppose I could find someone else, there are nail bars galore nowadays, but for reasons that need not concern, I don't want to.

Long ago when i did my own, I'd use a small pair of scissors, a razor blade to cut cuticles and a nail file. But having become used to the quality and appearance of my nails manicured properly, I don't want to revert. Doing nails oneself is also challenging: one hand and foot is ok, the other awkward to reach comfortably. At first attempt, I have managed to split a thumb nail because as I've been told I used a emery board file to cut/file the nail when I should've used clippers to cut and the file to shape, also a glass file is better apparently.

I've looked on amazon and prices for manicure sets range from about a fiver to over £100: reviews where reviews exist are mostly favourable but having spoken with the professional today I'm told that the quality of equipment that's best is not available on the 'high street' and that the file should be as soft as possible.

What do others do? And can you recommend a professional quality manicure set that will last?

tia
Bnc

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Manicure/pedicure

Postby PinkDalek » March 11th, 2019, 3:56 pm

brightncheerful wrote:What do others do?

It might well be age thing*** but at the moment I continue to use (for hands and feet) curved end nail clippers only, such as the fifth item here:

https://www.pedireviews.co.uk/best-toenail-clippers/

I can't help on your other questions as I've never used razor blades, emery boards or nail files.

*** By that I mean I can still manage to get to where is needed but as age catches up on one, it may be important to have feet checked professionally, every so often, in view of the lurgies that may lurk, ingrown toenail infections etc.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 11th, 2019, 4:18 pm

PinkDalek wrote:... at the moment I continue to use (for hands and feet) curved end nail clippers only, such as the fifth item here:

I've always found that design of clipper with the 'lift and twist' lever to fail and fall apart after heavy use.

I have a heavy-duty clipper that (to my knowledge) must be at least 40 years old. I inherited it from my late mother. It looks identical to these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASM%C2%AE-Prof ... 016SC9DME/

Eboli
Lemon Slice

Postby Eboli » March 12th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Go to Thailand where a decent manicure, pedicure, foot scrub and haircut costs 600 Baths (about £15).

When I return to the UK (spring and summer) I need 4 pedicures which the local emporium charges £20 a time and I give them £30.

I would never attempt a proper foot pedicure these days. But each to his own.

Eb.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » March 13th, 2019, 9:05 am

Eboli wrote:When I return to the UK (spring and summer) I need 4 pedicures which the local emporium charges £20 a time and I give them £30.

Four pedicures? A typing quadroped, very clever!

Eboli
Lemon Slice

Postby Eboli » March 17th, 2019, 9:50 pm

4 pedicures during the spring and summer.

Eb.

Return to “Does anyone know?”