Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

BT Scam

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
scotia
Lemon Quarter

BT Scam

Postby scotia » February 25th, 2019, 2:19 pm

We are getting frequent calls ("from BT") informing us that we will be disconnected in the next 24 hours. That's as far as the caller gets before we hang up. OK - I know its a Scam, but how does the Scam operate - what are you supposed to do, and how do they extract money from you?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: BT Scam

Postby PinkDalek » February 25th, 2019, 2:28 pm

https://www.bt.com/help/home/scams/

Scam calls

Fraudsters are known to make calls claiming to work for BT, when it's actually a scam. They may ask you for personal information, want access to your computer and in some cases, ask for your bank details. Don't be fooled, this is fraud.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 25th, 2019, 3:12 pm

scotia wrote:We are getting frequent calls ("from BT") informing us that we will be disconnected in the next 24 hours. That's as far as the caller gets before we hang up. OK - I know its a Scam, but how does the Scam operate - what are you supposed to do, and how do they extract money from you?

I've been getting those too. The last one I played along with; I regard it as a public service because if they take up their time with me then that may avoid them calling someone else. I put on my old, stupid and a bit deaf act (not so hard nowadays) and play along, spinning it out as long as possible. I was eventually led to a site and encouraged to download and install some remote control software:

AnyDesk
Moderator Message:
Link to potential malware replaced with its name to discourage anyone from inadvertently installing it! - Chris

When I asked for advice about how to install it for Linux I was called a 'f***ing idiot' and the caller hung up :D

RC

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » February 25th, 2019, 4:29 pm

scotia wrote:We are getting frequent calls ("from BT") informing us that we will be disconnected in the next 24 hours. That's as far as the caller gets before we hang up.

Are they automated messages? If so, even dodgy call centres are felling the pinch and being partly replaced by computers.

The "your internet will be disconnected" calls are now far more frequent than those from organisations who were convinced you had an car accident.

It's been suggested that it's a mistake to press the button to speak to the call centre, even to waste their time, as your number may be added to a "prospects" list and as a consequence it gets more calls.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » February 25th, 2019, 5:06 pm

AnyDesk
Moderator Message:
Link to potential malware replaced with its name to discourage anyone from inadvertently installing it! - Chris

AFAIK it's actually legitimate remote desktop software, much like TeamViewer (another favourite of the scammers). It's the use to which the scammers would put it that is illegitimate. Still, no useful purpose in linking to it. Anyone who needs remote desktop for their own purposes would already know where to look.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 25th, 2019, 5:47 pm

BT could do something about these calls but clearly doesn't. They are allowing their landline customers to be put in financial danger and generally disturbed with nuisance calls AND charging their customers for such a poor service.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 25th, 2019, 5:55 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:When I asked for advice about how to install it for Linux I was called a 'f***ing idiot' and the caller hung up :D

Nowadays, just hearing my voice seems to be enough to put them off! :P

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » February 25th, 2019, 6:08 pm

monabri wrote:BT could do something about these calls but clearly doesn't. They are allowing their landline customers to be put in financial danger and generally disturbed with nuisance calls AND charging their customers for such a poor service.

Not just BT.

Why not start with blocking all calls at source from false caller-display numbers?

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 25th, 2019, 6:39 pm

I reckon that they could install software that allows a blocking system based on

(i) have you received a call from a scam/nuisance number and then

(2) press a combination of say 4 digits to flag it up to BT (or other supplier).

If the number of 'complaints' is over 50 (or some suitable number) then the number is blocked.

The rule being that you MUST have received a call from the nuisance number to stop people blocking genuine numbers.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » February 25th, 2019, 6:45 pm

monabri wrote:I reckon that they could install software that allows a blocking system based on

(i) have you received a call from a scam/nuisance number and then

(2) press a combination of say 4 digits to flag it up to BT (or other supplier).

BT already offer this service under 1572. It's called a personal blacklist. I don't know whether they consolidate.

I reckon they could do more. When you 1471 some of these callers and try dialling back, you get the message "the number you have dialled has not been recognised". Why then cannot they not connect such a number in the first place?

But then the call centres seem to have an unlimited supply of numbers to quote to the caller id filters.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 25th, 2019, 7:16 pm

supremetwo wrote:
monabri wrote:BT could do something about these calls but clearly doesn't. They are allowing their landline customers to be put in financial danger and generally disturbed with nuisance calls AND charging their customers for such a poor service.

Not just BT.

Why not start with blocking all calls at source from false caller-display numbers?

I don't think it is as simple as that. Many scam calls originate from IP Telephony systems and there is no 'real' landline number involved. IP Telephony systems generally provide a 'Presentation Number' which is what a telephone (and you) would see as the caller ID. This could be either a genuine number to allow the receiver of such a call to have a real number to call back (my local NHS uses such as system) or a 'fake' number from a scammer. A fake caller ID can change as often as someone is prepared to type in a different number in the IP Telephony software settings.

RC

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » February 25th, 2019, 8:01 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote: Many scam calls originate from IP Telephony systems and there is no 'real' landline number involved.

My point is that if "1471" knows that it's not a real number, why cannot the call be filtered before it's put through?

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 25th, 2019, 8:27 pm

Alaric wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote: Many scam calls originate from IP Telephony systems and there is no 'real' landline number involved.

My point is that if "1471" knows that it's not a real number, why cannot the call be filtered before it's put through?

1471 doesn't 'know' anything. It just provides the caller ID and then tries to dial it when requested. In order to filter out those numbers it would first have to inspect\dial them and find out that it isn't a usable number and then block the call.

RC

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » February 25th, 2019, 9:07 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote: In order to filter out those numbers it would first have to inspect\dial them and find out that it isn't a usable number and then block the call.

So why don't BT and perhaps other telecom providers offer this service?

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » February 25th, 2019, 9:24 pm

Thanks for all of the responses - it appears that many of you are just as annoyed by these scam calls as we (myself and my wife) are. It is particularly annoying for us oldies who are a bit slow at getting up in the mornings, and who do not appreciate these alarm calls :twisted:

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 25th, 2019, 9:32 pm

Alaric wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote: In order to filter out those numbers it would first have to inspect\dial them and find out that it isn't a usable number and then block the call.

I expect that it would technically difficult, expensive, would introduce a connection delay and be prone to error (genuine but misconfigured caller ID) or to put it another way unfeasible. Also, there would be nothing to stop a scammer using someone else's real caller ID.

RC

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » February 25th, 2019, 9:46 pm

If you want to avoid receiving any nuisance calls, I suggest the simplest way to avoid them is to buy a phone with Call Guardian built in - https://shop.bt.com/blog/how-to-block-a ... l-blocker/

You can either block them or dump them to the answerphone, both without the phone ringing - your choice.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 25th, 2019, 9:50 pm

How would they know?

didds

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » February 25th, 2019, 10:58 pm

Alaric wrote:

BT Call Protect, offered free to all existing BT landline customers.

Call Protect also allows you to divert particular types of calls – those from international numbers, withheld numbers and unrecognised numbers.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... e-callers/

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » February 25th, 2019, 11:07 pm

Lanark wrote:BT Call Protect, offered free to all existing BT landline customers.

1572 - I already use it.

The problem is

You can automatically block certain types of caller. Call Protect also allows you to divert particular types of calls – those from international numbers, withheld numbers and unrecognised numbers.

Whilst blocking withheld and unrecognised numbers is a no-brainer, blocking international calls may not be.

Still it proves it can be done, it's just that the marketing of the service isn't as focused as it should be.

Return to “Does anyone know?”