Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

easyjet return missed

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

easyjet return missed

Postby mutantpoodle » March 4th, 2019, 3:41 pm

does anyone have any experience of how Easyjet view it if you miss the return flight having booked a return ticket?

with/without accident/good reason simply fail to make the flight...

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: easyjet return missed

Postby Dod101 » March 4th, 2019, 3:52 pm

Known as a 'no show' in airline circles. Answer I should think is too bad. You do not seriously think they would refund you do you?

If they do let me know. I took a flight on Scoot recently and they were so awful that I bought a one way ticket for the return leg on Singapore Airlines (who own Scoot) Economy both times but I was happy to lose the fare paid to Scoot for the return leg. Singapore were very much better (and a lot more expensive)

Dod

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 4th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Most airlines wont care and won't refund you either, unless you have a fully-refundable ticket AND you let them know beforehand.

One variation of this is so-called Hidden City ticketing. This is based on pricing anomalies such as the fact that flying from (say) Amsterdam to Tokyo via Heathrow on BA can be considerably cheaper than flying from Heathrow to Tokyo return, even though it is the latter that you really want.

You start out by positioning yourself in Amsterdam for the outbound flight. Then on the return you just skip the last LHR-AMS leg.

The savings can be considerable, including the saving on the punitive UK air travel tax. The airlines don't like it at all although of course it is their fault in the first place with their pricing anomalies. Lusthansa recently sued a passenger who did this although that is not common. But in theory the airlines could ask for the price difference, or even ban you from flying with them.

Good for folks flying on standby though.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » March 4th, 2019, 4:10 pm

fear not!!
I am not seeking a refund.

I was more concerned that they might hit me with the difference between a full 'late purchase' price of a single ticket for the outward leg that I had taken
on basis 'they' would claim my outward price was because it was part of a return ticket

like you I have a better option to return

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » March 4th, 2019, 4:22 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:fear not!!
I am not seeking a refund.

I was more concerned that they might hit me with the difference between a full 'late purchase' price of a single ticket for the outward leg that I had taken
on basis 'they' would claim my outward price was because it was part of a return ticket

like you I have a better option to return

? Isn't this what a written contract is for? How would random people on a discussion board know what you have agreed to?

GS

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » March 4th, 2019, 5:07 pm

which is why I asked if anyone had any experience

NOT if anyone would give me binding legal reply!

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 4th, 2019, 7:29 pm

As far as I know, easyJet don't do "returns". Every leg's a single.

Scott.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » March 4th, 2019, 9:16 pm

swill453 wrote:As far as I know, easyJet don't do "returns". Every leg's a single.

Scott.

Easyjet really don't care if you are a no show. I've done it plenty of times. Relax.

regards, dspp

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 5th, 2019, 8:05 am

Lootman wrote:One variation of this is so-called Hidden City ticketing. This is based on pricing anomalies such as the fact that flying from (say) Amsterdam to Tokyo via Heathrow on BA can be considerably cheaper than flying from Heathrow to Tokyo return, even though it is the latter that you really want.

You start out by positioning yourself in Amsterdam for the outbound flight. Then on the return you just skip the last LHR-AMS leg.

doesn't your luggage end up in AMS though?

didds

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » March 5th, 2019, 8:11 am

didds wrote:
Lootman wrote:One variation of this is so-called Hidden City ticketing. This is based on pricing anomalies such as the fact that flying from (say) Amsterdam to Tokyo via Heathrow on BA can be considerably cheaper than flying from Heathrow to Tokyo return, even though it is the latter that you really want.

didds

You go hand luggage only.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 5th, 2019, 9:53 am

possible derail here so admins pls feel free to migrate this to another separate thread...

wrt the Singapore-LHR-AMS example where one deplanes at LHR... I can see that could "work" with hand luggage only.

wrt security...

I've been on a plane where a checked in passenger didn't make it as far as the plane itself. We all had to get out of the plane and identify our luggage which had been extracted from the hold, before we could continue. This was AIUI to ID the no show luggage for security reasons .

So if hold luggage was checked Sing-AMS but one deplaned at LHR anyway... how would the crew/security know there was now potentially an insecure item aboard? Or does everybody have to get off and get back on again with fresh boarding passes at LHR for the AMS leg?

didds

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » March 5th, 2019, 10:35 am

didds wrote:possible derail here so admins pls feel free to migrate this to another separate thread...

wrt the Singapore-LHR-AMS example where one deplanes at LHR... I can see that could "work" with hand luggage only.

wrt security...

I've been on a plane where a checked in passenger didn't make it as far as the plane itself. We all had to get out of the plane and identify our luggage which had been extracted from the hold, before we could continue. This was AIUI to ID the no show luggage for security reasons .

So if hold luggage was checked Sing-AMS but one deplaned at LHR anyway... how would the crew/security know there was now potentially an insecure item aboard? Or does everybody have to get off and get back on again with fresh boarding passes at LHR for the AMS leg?

didds

The AMS-LHR aircraft will have a passenger manifest - list of people who have checked in for the flight. A hard copy of this information will be passed to the flight crew along with other information such as luggage and cargo weights.
The computer system at the gate will check passengers onto the aircraft when the boarding pass is scanned.
This effectively creates a list of passengers who have presented themselves for loading at the gate.
At T minus whatever, staff note the missing passengers, and their names go out over the tannoy.
The next step is to identify whether the missing passengers have hold luggage, and then start to task luggage handlers to remove the bags.
At a later point a decision is made to off load the bags.
If the bags are found and removed from the aircraft. The gate is then closed. If the passengers turn up after this point - tough, they aren't flying.

As a final check, once all the self loading cargo, sorry, passengers, are on the aircraft, the cabin crew do a headcount. Once the headcount on the manifest matches the number of bodies on board, then they can depart. (So if someone goes through the gate, has their boarding pass scanned, and then sneaks through a fire exit on the loading bridge, the aircraft can't take off).

If the missing passsenger(s) don't have hold luggage then, then the decision to close the gate is made on the basis of ensuring an ontime pushback.

In short - if you don't turn up ontime at the gate for your flight, and have hold luggage, it will be offloaded at the point of no-show. This may result in the passengers on the aircraft being delayed while they dig out your bag(s).
If you don't turn up at the gate ontime, and you don't have any hold bags, (and no other no-shows have hold bags), then the aircraft will leave ontime without you.

Also remember that every time your hold bag gets loaded into a ULD (one of those crate things used on long haul aircraft), or loaded loose into the hold the luggage tag barcode gets scanned. They also know where each individual ULD is located in the hold.
This means they exactly which luggage compartment or ULD position your hold bag is located in, so while offloading a single bag doesn't make a baggage handler happy, it doesn't make it an impossible task.

PochiSoldi

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » March 5th, 2019, 11:55 am

many thanks everyone for info and ideas

fao Scott

of course i dont know how Easyjet 'view' the booking
but
when i look at 'one way' for each leg its more expensive than looking at 'there and back'

but as already said i am willing to discard the return element after landing at Luton last week...what a nightmare!
Heathrow is almost a pleasure by comparison

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » March 5th, 2019, 4:27 pm

One comment I do have with regard to "no-showing" for the whole of a journey, is that where possible you should not check in for the flight at all.

Not checking in means that if the flight is overbooked, one victim of overbooking gets on the flight.
If the flight is full, then it means that someone who is "on standby" at the airport, gets to fly earlier.
If the flight is not full, it means that once the flight is 100% loaded, the doors can close earlier, the captain can request an earlier pushback, and there is the potential to get an earlier take off slot, and everyone on board has an opportunity to arrive at their destination earlier.

I personally don't think that Easyjet, Ryanair care, Southwestern in the US (who provided the EU low cost airlines with their operating model) explicitly permit throwaway segments and hidden city tactics.

PochiSoldi

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 5th, 2019, 4:32 pm

didds wrote:

As someone else mentioned this only works with carry-on bags only. Although there are some cases where your bags are returned to you at the intermediate airport, e.g. if changing between two different airlines in two different terminals. Or in the case of the United States where you always get your bags back and go through customs at your initial port of entry, even if you are flying onto a third city or country. So if London to Cleveland via New York was cheaper than London to New York, or London to Montreal via Boston was cheaper than direct, it would work with checked bags.

Note that you can only throw away the very last leg of an itinerary, as all subsequent legs of an itinerary are cancelled when you no-show.

One other thing that can go wrong is if there is a flight change. Suppose your Tokyo to London leg is cancelled. BA might put you on another OneWorld carrier e.g. JAL, FinnAir or Qatar. But they will route you to Amsterdam via somewhere else. And then you'd have to make your own way back to London.

So it's not for everyone but I've seen cases where it can save you a grand or more on a long haul flight.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 5th, 2019, 9:12 pm

Lootman wrote:Most airlines wont care and won't refund you either, unless you have a fully-refundable ticket AND you let them know beforehand.

One variation of this is so-called Hidden City ticketing. This is based on pricing anomalies such as the fact that flying from (say) Amsterdam to Tokyo via Heathrow on BA can be considerably cheaper than flying from Heathrow to Tokyo return, even though it is the latter that you really want.

The savings can be considerable, including the saving on the punitive UK air travel tax. The airlines don't like it at all although of course it is their fault in the first place with their pricing anomalies. Lusthansa recently sued a passenger who did this although that is not common. But in theory the airlines could ask for the price difference, or even ban you from flying with them.

Good for folks flying on standby though.

Crikey, this reminds me of the silly tricks we used to play with the channel ferries in the 1990s. Every year we wanted to spend approx two weeks in France and wanted to be flexible, but period returns were ridiculously expensive, whereas day-returns were dirt cheap. So my boss told me a great trick whereby I bought a day-return from a travel agent in cash (to stop any attempt at taking more from our credit card), made a small error in our car reg number and did the same coming back. After three or four years it was clear that the ferry companies were wise to this game and started introducing new rules. Once in Calais, we were told that we had to buy the day return 24 hours in advance. So we did, then proceeded to have a great time in a Formule 1 hotel with our young kids, buying up half the supermarket, my wife spending half the evening looking at shoe shops, and still spent less than a silly period return.

I hadn't heard of the Amsterdam example, but if it were me, I'd simply pretend to be extremely ill and get the airport doctor to forbid me from continuing the journey. Maybe trace it to the Lufthansa meal and get compensation as well? :-)

Steve

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » March 19th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Lootman wrote:One variation of this is so-called Hidden City ticketing.

Also known as `skiplagging'. There's a specific website that offers such flights - https://skiplagged.com/

Return to “Does anyone know?”