Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

music video from end of the 70s (very early 80s?) query

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
didds
Lemon Half

music video from end of the 70s (very early 80s?) query

Postby didds » April 23rd, 2019, 6:16 pm

a chum asked this on FB a few days ago so I thought Id ask here to see if any of you clever lot have any ideas :-)

"Does anyone remember a song from that period that had a video of all these showroom dummies (I recall it to be). It was one that got a bit of airplay on a Saturday morning on Noel Edmund's Multi Coloured Swap Shop.

Just got these dummies in my head and they're just playing brass instruments like the trumpet"

He also then said

"It had brass instruments and these people dressed as dummies playing them."

any ideas?

didds

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: music video from end of the 70s (very early 80s?) query

Postby Itsallaguess » April 23rd, 2019, 6:31 pm

didds wrote:
It had brass instruments and these people dressed as dummies playing them."

Not sure this quite fits the bill, but it's got dummies in it and it's of roughly the same era -

Herbie Hancock - Rockit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHhD4PD75zY

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

btw - why is it that I can remember 01 811 8055, and yet can't remember my own mobile number....

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » April 24th, 2019, 4:30 pm

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » April 24th, 2019, 6:17 pm

In all likelihood he was indeed probably remembering 'Showroom Dummies' by Kraftwerk, originally released in 1977 on the album 'Trans-Europe Express', and subsequently as a single around the same time, and then again in the early 1980s.

I think Slarti inadvertently posted a link to 'The Robots', a different track entirely, so here is the correct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ9Stc9ONyY

Kraftwerk were or at least became essentially Ralf Hütter and Florian Schneider, plus two, and the former still leads the band 50 years since forming the it in 1969.

Having pioneered the creation of electronic music, they are now doing the same with the live concert experience, placing huge resources into a 3-D show.

Here is the same track from such a 3-D show (missing the 3-D effects obviously, but you'll get the idea): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pe4q2v-9KA

I'm off to Paris in July to see the 3-D performance, complete with special glasses provided at the event, in the very magnificent new philharmonic hall, and may well report back on LF after the event. Look at this for a fantastic venue: https://www.google.com/search?q=paris+p ... 48&bih=964 My seat is on the front row of the circle so the 3-D effects should work well, and 'Showroom Dummies' will undoubtedly feature.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » April 24th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Ooops, I was reading Slarti's reply and jumped right in! :lol:

Now reading the original post by didds, I'm pretty confident it wasn't 'Showroom Dummies', as Kraftwerk definitely didn't use brass instruments! Itsallaguess may well be right with his suggestion though.

Sorry, but hopefully some enjoyment may be had from looking at the Kraftwerk videos, and the very marvellous Paris Philharmonic.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » July 15th, 2019, 9:04 pm

Back in April I mentioned that I'd be seeing Kraftwerk performing their 3D show with advanced computer graphics running alongside their live musical performance. Well it was last week and a really enjoyable night out in Paris. The concert was in the architecturally interesting newish Philharmonie in Paris, and the acoustics inside were excellent. Kraftwerk completely filled the auditorium with their amazing sounds, and performed all their classic tracks as we'd hoped. Wearing lightweight 3D paper glasses was unnoticeable, and the moving images coming from a huge screen behind the band added to the overall effect and enjoyment. This was all designed to enhance the enjoyment of the music, and I concluded that it did.

The on UK performance I'm aware of this year by Kraftwerk 3D is at Bluedot this coming weekend at Jodrell Bank. Having attended in previous years to see PSB amongst others, I know it will be a great event and Kraftwerk will go down a storm. If anyone's going, you'll really enjoy it.

As a footnote, Ralf Hutter is now 72 but sang and played as well as ever, as did a 91 year old Burt Bacharach who I had the great pleasure of seeing last night at an open air event in the evening summer sunshine. I've seen Burt a few times over several decades and will miss seeing him live should he ever stop. His back catalogue of songs and movie scores always makes for a truly memorable concert.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 15th, 2019, 9:54 pm

My mate and family are off to Bluedot again. Too far for me-he's in Shropshire, I'm near Reading.
Hawkwind were good a year or two back apparently (his wife didn't agree :-) )
Plus, at my age i'm limited to one festival a year -mid August, near Exeter

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 16th, 2019, 3:17 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:My mate and family are off to Bluedot again. Too far for me-he's in Shropshire, I'm near Reading.
Hawkwind were good a year or two back apparently (his wife didn't agree :-) )
Plus, at my age i'm limited to one festival a year -mid August, near Exeter

Beautiful Days?

Paul (also in Exeter, but off to Shropshire at the weekend :)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 16th, 2019, 3:25 pm

BDs...The one and only.. Think it'll be my 12th....
It's well suited to aged festival goers like myself. Not quite as frantic as Glasto
Sadly Reading is out of the question as the average age seems to be about 18 these days (I think 2005 was my last Reading)

Enjoy Shropshire..I'm from the south of the county

Return to “Does anyone know?”