Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Gift Aid statements - when ?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Gift Aid statements - when ?

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 13th, 2019, 1:06 pm

When do charities normally send out Gift Aid statements? (OK they may all be wildly different...)
I was expecting most of them to have done this during April but not much back yet
(I moved last September, but updated my address details)

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Re: Gift Aid statements - when ?

Postby dionaeamuscipula » May 13th, 2019, 1:31 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:When do charities normally send out Gift Aid statements? (OK they may all be wildly different...)
I was expecting most of them to have done this during April but not much back yet

I don't think I have ever had a gift aid statement from a charity.

Its my responsibility to keep records of my gift aided donations. I do this somewhere on a scale from meticulously to not at all.

DM

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 13th, 2019, 1:48 pm

I should have been clearer, I'm specifically referring to Gift Aid arising from the sale of donated goods
cheers
AC

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » May 13th, 2019, 2:28 pm

My other half often donates goods to charities. Looking through previous years files it seems they are all different. There is one from the Salvation Army Trading Co issued mid May. Another from PDSA Trading Ltd issued at end of October......they also issue them in April...ie every 6 months. So, it seems you could expect them anytime.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » May 13th, 2019, 2:49 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I should have been clearer, I'm specifically referring to Gift Aid arising from the sale of donated goods

It depends on how good their systems are and which method they are using. Two here locally vary wildly. One sends them within a couple of weeks to confirm etc. The other never (perhaps the proceeds of ours was not > £100)!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... f-donation includes:

Method A for charities that directly operate their own charity shops

3.42.11 Method A is for charities that directly operate their own shops. Under this method of operating the Retail Gift Aid process it is not necessary for a charity to send letters during the tax year to each individual when the net proceeds from selling their goods are less than £100 in that year. The charity must obtain the agreement of the individual when they bring the goods to the shop to sell. They must make it clear to the individual that, if the total net sale proceeds in a tax year are below £100, the individual will not be offered any money back before the charity treats the net proceeds as a donation and claims Gift Aid. This is on the basis that the individual has agreed to donate the money to the charity. If the net proceeds from the sale of goods are more than £100, the charity must contact donors to ask if they will also donate the proceeds over £100 to the charity.

Once the limit of £100 has been exceeded in any given tax year, the company or charity can either:

send a letter or e-mail to the individual and then write again each time further goods are sold
wait until the end of the tax year and send one letter or email detailing the total amount raised in the year ...

Gift Aid template letter for the end of year: method A. To be implemented for the tax year 2015 to 2016 and sent out by 31 May 2016 and within 2 months of tax year end thereafter. ...

‘End of tax year letters’ are compulsory for charities operating the retail Gift Aid process using Method A and Method B. In both cases the individual must always be sent a summary of the net proceeds raised from the sale of their goods for the tax year by 31 May each year. However, if the donor’s total donations in a given year are less than £20, a letter only needs to be issued once every three years. Telling individuals of the net proceeds raised provides information which can help them check that they have paid sufficient tax to cover the Gift Aid that has been claimed. It also helps higher rate tax payers to claim in the additional tax relief on their donations.

Plenty to read there but the end of May, maybe.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 13th, 2019, 3:49 pm

Thanks PD, looks like end of May as you say, so I'll put a reminder in Outlook to do some prodding if nothing turns up
(Chances of at least one of them failing to update my address are...high)

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » May 13th, 2019, 4:29 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:When do charities normally send out Gift Aid statements? (OK they may all be wildly different...)

British heart Foundation send them out soon after the goods are sold, so I've already had one for the 2019/20 tax year that is for more than the whole of last year :shock:

They obviously managed to sell something I couldn't.

I had 3 statements for last year, showing the year to date situation, as things were sold.

Slarti

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 13th, 2019, 11:14 pm

I've got two from Scope: 7 January, and 25 April, for different amounts. No indication which tax year they fall in

Return to “Does anyone know?”