Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Goggles4U

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Goggles4U

Postby Rhyd6 » May 17th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Anyone used this company? I used to buy cheap reading glasses from Tesco's opticians but they have sold the franchise so no longer cheap. I like to buy several pairs and keep them in various rooms plus of course handbag, car etc. Goggles4U are very cheap and I wondered if anyone can recommend or otherwise.
TIA

R6

eepee
Lemon Slice

Re: Goggles4U

Postby eepee » May 23rd, 2019, 4:15 pm

Not sure I understand the question!

Are you talking about cheap reading glasses off-the-shelf or prescription-matched?

If off-the-shelf try B&M or Home Bargains. At under £2 each you can get a few, one for each room. One of them even sells then in 0.25 increments which is relatively rare.

What I have not found at around that price is glasses where the lens is held in a metal split-frame by a screw. This would allow me to match my prescription which is slightly different for both eyes, by buying two pairs!

Regards,
ep

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » May 23rd, 2019, 7:20 pm

I'll let you know how they are as I ordered a couple of pairs of single vision rimless yesterday. £32 for two pairs, delivered. Glasses Direct, who I have previously used are not as cheap as they used to be. £120 for two pairs.

As for reading glasses, Poundland (or similar outlets) sell them (guess how much !)and like the previous post, I buy a few of varying strengths for around the house.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » June 7th, 2019, 8:35 am

Update - the glasses arrived yesterday and I'm perfectly happy with them. One pair is ideal which will become my main pair. The other pair is ok but not quite my style, but will do fine as a spare pair in the car. I'm about to order some more on their 2 for £16 deal which will do for the shed and office etc. You can never have too many spare pairs :)

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » June 7th, 2019, 4:26 pm

I took a chance (well not really they were only £6.95) and order a pair for computer viewing. They're great so I've ordered 4 pairs of reading glasses, same price different frames. Just goes to show what a rip off some optician's prices are. I know they have to pay for premises etc. but the price they charge for frames borders on theft, especially if they have the word "designer" anywhere near :shock:

R6

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » June 8th, 2019, 11:05 am

Being short-sighted in one eye and long-sighted in the other, I still use one of the high-street chains - usually Specsavers (who are nearest).
I know which frames came from which chain so always ask for the frame to be reglazed - ignoring the insistence of the attendant to 'now please select a new frame from our collection, and we have some special offers ....etc". I am always asked to sign a disclaimer against their breaking the frame when it is being reglazed, but no frame of mine has ever snapped in this way. The attendant is obviously not entirely happy with my stonewalling.

The optometrists (tied or freelance, I guess) who do the prescribing are, on the other hand, fine - presumably because they are not selling or on any bonus scheme - a usually careful bunch. And I can (and on one occasion did) take my prescription elsewhere to be dispensed because of an especially pushy attendant.

Return to “Does anyone know?”