Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Postal vote for withdrawn candidate

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
NapoleonD
2 Lemon pips

Postal vote for withdrawn candidate

Postby NapoleonD » May 22nd, 2019, 5:27 pm

Hi - a couple of family members arranged a postal vote for tomorrow's EU Elections, where their candidate has withdrawn. Can they still vote in person, or is their vote now effectively squandered?

TIA

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Re: Postal vote for withdrawn candidate

Postby johnhemming » May 22nd, 2019, 6:02 pm

They won't be able to vote in person, but I don't think their candidate could actually withdraw anyway. There is a very small window during which candidates can withdraw and they then don't appear on the ballot paper.

I am thinking you may be referring to Scotland where the second Change UK (the first being sacked) candidate has said that people should vote Lib Dem. He was too late to actually withdraw.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » May 23rd, 2019, 11:05 am

Not sure it's ever happened here, but certainly in the US, there have been instances of people being elected despite having died between nomination as a candidate and the day of voting.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » May 23rd, 2019, 12:27 pm

johnhemming wrote:They won't be able to vote in person, but I don't think their candidate could actually withdraw anyway. There is a very small window during which candidates can withdraw and they then don't appear on the ballot paper.

I am thinking you may be referring to Scotland where the second Change UK (the first being sacked) candidate has said that people should vote Lib Dem. He was too late to actually withdraw.

As I see it, if Change UK gained enough votes to elect (say) 3 candidates to a constituency which had 6 seats, and the list had
A
B (withdrew after nominations closed)
C
D
E

Then the first declaration would have candidates A, B and C elected.

Since B has indicated that they are withdrawing = "resigning with immediate effect if elected" (rather than refusing to take their seat), then the EU rules state that instead of a by-election, the next unelected person on the list gets the seat - so candidate D gets elected:
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/factsheet ... procedures

In some Member States (Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Croatia, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal and the UK), seats falling vacant are allocated to the first unelected candidates on the same list (possibly after adjustment to reflect the votes obtained by the candidates).

This process came in post 2002 (when the process for E+W+S changed from "first past the post+single seat constituencies" to "list system+multiseat regional constituencies".

Return to “Does anyone know?”