Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

EU election vote counts

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
swill453
Lemon Half

EU election vote counts

Postby swill453 » May 25th, 2019, 4:41 pm

Have our votes been counted already, and the results kept under lock and key until Sunday after all polls in other EU countries close? Or don't they start to be counted until Sunday night?

Or something in-between?

Scott.

Luniversal
2 Lemon pips

Re: EU election vote counts

Postby Luniversal » May 25th, 2019, 5:05 pm

swill453 wrote:Have our votes been counted already, and the results kept under lock and key until Sunday after all polls in other EU countries close? Or don't they start to be counted until Sunday night?

Or something in-between?

Scott.

The count cannot begin until the polls close everywhere in the EU, i.e. 22.00 BST. While we wait, we will be regaled with the results of exit polls, which are also verboten before 22.00.

The first British result is likely to be from the NE Region, which has the smallest electorate. Moreover, its count is at Sunderland, whose council is the past master of fast totting-up in UK elections.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » May 25th, 2019, 5:28 pm

I find it strange that there are reports that the ballot papers were counted face downwards as soon as the polls closed in order to get an idea of the percentage of votes cast. When we went to vote our names were crossed out on the voting register so surely it would have been easy to tot this up rather than open the boxes and fan the flames of conspiracy theories about vote tampering which are already floating around the internet.

R6

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » May 25th, 2019, 5:33 pm

But, but, but : turnout figures are trickling out and seem remarkably low considering the angst over Brexit. Anyone got a link to a comprehensive list? Or is it like the rest of the EU stats viz "a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma"?

PS, Rhyd6, must have crossed in the post - the first stage of every count is to count the ballot papers in the box - face down is unusual in the UK because the back of the paper contains the electors details and should not be visible to any observer such as a polling agent. I have had the pleasure of this role several times and you can tell the outcome quite quickly if you watch carefully

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » May 25th, 2019, 7:03 pm

Last time there were local elections in some areas at the same time as the euro elections. However, the majority of potential voters are not bothered enough to vote in the euro elections.

Turnout for pure euroelections is however up from 2014

DrBunsenHoneydew
Lemon Slice

Postby DrBunsenHoneydew » May 25th, 2019, 7:07 pm

BusyBumbleBee wrote:But, but, but : turnout figures are trickling out and seem remarkably low considering the angst over Brexit. Anyone got a link to a comprehensive list? Or is it like the rest of the EU stats viz "a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma"?

PS, Rhyd6, must have crossed in the post - the first stage of every count is to count the ballot papers in the box - face down is unusual in the UK because the back of the paper contains the electors details and should not be visible to any observer such as a polling agent. I have had the pleasure of this role several times and you can tell the outcome quite quickly if you watch carefully

The turnout Data is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jnL1rfgfMgf_fpdzLCGQpnmKjV5n3GngVSXrGQqwD1E/edit#gid=0

Where the turnout has been higher than Euro2014, the constituency is more likely to be a Ref2016 Remain area.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » May 25th, 2019, 7:14 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:I find it strange that there are reports that the ballot papers were counted face downwards as soon as the polls closed in order to get an idea of the percentage of votes cast.

It's the verification count to check the number of ballot papers in the box against the number handed out. Which can vary for a number of reasons.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » May 26th, 2019, 3:42 pm

Thanks johnhemming, that makes sense.

R6

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » May 26th, 2019, 4:56 pm

We won't have to stay up too late tonight. Results are expected from 10:30pm onwards, and all finished by 2am except for Scotland

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1132672926766051329

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 26th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:I find it strange that there are reports that the ballot papers were counted face downwards as soon as the polls closed in order to get an idea of the percentage of votes cast. When we went to vote our names were crossed out on the voting register so surely it would have been easy to tot this up rather than open the boxes and fan the flames of conspiracy theories about vote tampering which are already floating around the internet.

R6

indeed. Which suggests the rumours are

* from people that dont have much of an understanding
* returning officers that don't have much of a braincell

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 26th, 2019, 5:02 pm

BusyBumbleBee wrote: the first stage of every count is to count the ballot papers in the box - face down is unusual in the UK because the back of the paper contains the electors details

i don't doubt BBB itself... but my polling paper was torn off the first in a anew pad of poling papers... i dint look but there was "no time" I'd say to then append my polling number/whatever to it?

didds

DrBunsenHoneydew
Lemon Slice

Postby DrBunsenHoneydew » May 26th, 2019, 5:12 pm

didds wrote:
BusyBumbleBee wrote: the first stage of every count is to count the ballot papers in the box - face down is unusual in the UK because the back of the paper contains the electors details

i don't doubt BBB itself... but my polling paper was torn off the first in a anew pad of poling papers... i dint look but there was "no time" I'd say to then append my polling number/whatever to it?

didds

My voting paper had a serial number on the back.
The administrator wrote my Electoral Roll Number taken from my Polling Card against that Serial Number in a Register.
Anyone with the requisite authority could match my paper vote to my identity quite easily.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » May 26th, 2019, 5:19 pm

There has always been a system which enables tracking back an individual's vote, but it requires a court order to access the information. If an election petition is issued and votes are challenged and found to be disqualified they can be removed from the election.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » May 26th, 2019, 6:19 pm

Luniversal wrote:
swill453 wrote:Have our votes been counted already, and the results kept under lock and key until Sunday after all polls in other EU countries close? Or don't they start to be counted until Sunday night?

Or something in-between?

Scott.

The count cannot begin until the polls close everywhere in the EU, i.e. 22.00 BST. While we wait, we will be regaled with the results of exit polls, which are also verboten before 22.00.

The first British result is likely to be from the NE Region, which has the smallest electorate. Moreover, its count is at Sunderland, whose council is the past master of fast totting-up in UK elections.

BBC local news (East) has just shown counting in progress. It wasn't stock footage, the reporter was explaining that results can't come out till all polls closed across Europe, and people were counting ballot papers behind him

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 27th, 2019, 12:48 pm

DrBunsenHoneydew wrote:
My voting paper had a serial number on the back.
The administrator wrote my Electoral Roll Number taken from my Polling Card against that Serial Number in a Register.
Anyone with the requisite authority could match my paper vote to my identity quite easily.

ah - yes. Gotcha. Indeed.

didds

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » May 27th, 2019, 6:49 pm

From a council worker friend involved in the count...
The votes were checked and sorted on Friday. All the spoilt ballots and dubious votes were sorted out at that point (which might explain the discrepancy with papers issued). Then the piles of already sorted votes were locked in a cupboard, and nobody was allowed to count them until 10pm Sunday.

Couldn't they guess from the size of the piles? - Well, yes, a bit. Although they were sorted on a per-ward basis so you wouldn't get the whole result from any one pile.

Gryff

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » May 27th, 2019, 9:02 pm

didds wrote:

i don't doubt BBB itself... but my polling paper was torn off the first in a anew pad of poling papers... i dint look but there was "no time" I'd say to then append my polling number/whatever to it? didds

Sorry I should have pointed out that Postal Ballot papers contain a lot of detail on the back - and now account for a substantial number of the ballot papers in a box.

Return to “Does anyone know?”