Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Old UPS Power Supplies?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Julian
Lemon Quarter

Old UPS Power Supplies?

Postby Julian » June 1st, 2019, 11:16 am

I'm doing a big clear-out at home and have a couple of UPS power supplies unused since 2011. Am I correct in assuming that after all this time the batteries are probably pretty much useless so they might as well get chucked? (Due to the batteries I assume that any "chucking" should be in the direction of an appropriate battery disposal facility.)

I've never actually used these UPSs myself, they are from my late mother's house. She had a lot of automated care equipment in her home and I was paranoid about her getting stuck in her chair or bed in the event of a mains failure so I bought them for her in 2009 and they went out of use when she died in January 2011 hence have been inactive for almost 8 and a half years now. I have no use for them since power cuts are rare and I don't really do any critical stuff so all I need to do in the event of a power cut is rush to the fridge and make sure that I drink all the beer so that there's no danger of it getting too warm if the power doesn't come back almost immediately.

- Julian

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Re: Old UPS Power Supplies?

Postby Watis » June 1st, 2019, 2:24 pm

Julian wrote:I'm doing a big clear-out at home and have a couple of UPS power supplies unused since 2011. Am I correct in assuming that after all this time the batteries are probably pretty much useless so they might as well get chucked? (Due to the batteries I assume that any "chucking" should be in the direction of an appropriate battery disposal facility.)

I've never actually used these UPSs myself, they are from my late mother's house. She had a lot of automated care equipment in her home and I was paranoid about her getting stuck in her chair or bed in the event of a mains failure so I bought them for her in 2009 and they went out of use when she died in January 2011 hence have been inactive for almost 8 and a half years now. I have no use for them since power cuts are rare and I don't really do any critical stuff so all I need to do in the event of a power cut is rush to the fridge and make sure that I drink all the beer so that there's no danger of it getting too warm if the power doesn't come back almost immediately.

- Julian

Opening the fridge in a power cut, however worthy the objective, is not recommended.

What a dilemma, though!

Watis

FurtimNatura

Postby FurtimNatura » June 1st, 2019, 2:28 pm

I had a similar experience last year. Several UPS's to dispose of. All the batteries were Yuasa types, easily obtained from a local battery supplier. I actually chose a cheaper white label (Italian IIRC) brand to get them all working again. All easily replaced and fitted.

Sold them all via Ebay (collection only because they were all either 1kw or 1.5kw proper heavy beastly things). Pleasantly surprised at the prices they fetched. Overall, kept me busy for a few days tinkering and listing. The profit made was worthy of my efforts, but giving something a new lease of life (instead of sending it to landfill) was quite priceless if I am honest.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 1st, 2019, 8:34 pm

Yes, new batteries not hard to fit.
It's surely time that we stopped throwing things away.

V8

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » June 1st, 2019, 10:23 pm

Great. I’ll have to investigate. I was worried it might be like printer cartridges, batteries so expensive and/or made difficult to change such that it ended up almost as cheap to buy a new unit thus killing the resale value. Obviously not. I guess I’d better learn how to sell stuff on eBay.

Thanks for the replies.

- Julian

tacpot12
2 Lemon pips

Postby tacpot12 » June 2nd, 2019, 2:29 pm

eBay is a good option for UPS. You can remove the batteries for shipping to save cost.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 2nd, 2019, 4:05 pm

The batteries are probably sealed lead acid types. These are quite tough - they are often kept on trickle charge for years in standby applications
They may still be useable. Don't be tempted to charge them using a car battery charger, they need a special charger (integral to UPS)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 2nd, 2019, 5:07 pm

I've also replaced the battery in a Belkin USB, and it was completely straightforward - you just opened a flap and unplugged it. :) The unit was a 12 volt Yuasa, of a similar kind to the ones you find in burglar alarm systems (eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/YUASA-RECHARGE ... gy_107_img).

It's been five or six years now. I'll probably replace it again soon. Thanks for the prod!

BJ

Return to “Does anyone know?”