Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Can this chair delivery fit into my home?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Can this chair delivery fit into my home?

Postby DiamondEcho » June 4th, 2019, 2:00 pm

I've recently ordered a chair for home delivery and belatedly thought I better just make 200% sure there will be no issues getting it into our home. I hadn't thought of it beforehand as I've previously had notably larger items delivered but since this is a custom order (ie upholstery of my choosing from their range) then IF I have to cancel I'd expect onerous penalties, and the sooner I know perhaps the better.

I'm having a bit of a brain-melt visualising the chair's dimensions vs the width of the clear door-frame at the narrowest point which is 70Cm.

The chair is as follows: https://www.parkerknoll.co.uk/products/sophie/
Height: 100cm
Width: 77cm
Depth: 83cm
... at which point I'm a bit concerned. Though the above includes the wooden feet which are detachable, and those measurements alone suggest a fixed dimension 'rectangular box'. The spec also indicates the following:
Seat H (cm): 47cm
Size W (cm): 51cm /
Size D (cm): 49cm /
Arm H (cm): 55cm
... at which point I'm wondering whether if say the chair was on it's side, and the top of the back was fed in first around the right side of the door-jam, the base of the seat (with or without legs attached) should have ample room for clear entry.

What do others think? I don't consider our doors narrow or unusual, and have had other larger irregular deliveries 'fed around' this door-jam as above. But just because that's been done before, doesn't give me much comfort it can be this time, as each delivery is different. Am I right to be focusing on the second^ set of dimensions?

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Re: Can this chair delivery fit into my home?

Postby UncleIan » June 4th, 2019, 2:10 pm

If 70cm is a fairly standard door size (and I don't think there is really a standard door size), then nearly all furniture will have been designed to fit through that gap somehow, otherwise they'd be endlessly getting returns.

If necessary could you take the door off temporarily to give yourselves more space?

I have a strong suspicion it'll go through your door in the box, and it surely will out of the box.

Meatyfool
Lemon Slice

Postby Meatyfool » June 4th, 2019, 2:21 pm

It is not unheard of for furniture (including chairs/sofas etc) to arrive in multiple boxes and a quick final assembly on delivery.

I don't mean it arrives flat packed, just that often the back may be separated from the seat and installed in situ.

Meatyfool..

Garless
2 Lemon pips

Postby Garless » June 4th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Meatyfool wrote:It is not unheard of for furniture (including chairs/sofas etc) to arrive in multiple boxes and a quick final assembly on delivery.

I don't mean it arrives flat packed, just that often the back may be separated from the seat and installed in situ.

Meatyfool..

Had the same problem when removing my mothers chair from her care home. Had various electric bits to help mobility. Removers took one look, unplugged various leads, took the back off and the only problem then was weight!

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » June 4th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Don't worry about it. The delivery people will be experienced in getting chairs through doors as they probably make many such deliveries a day. A couple of weeks ago I had two reclining chairs delivered and they got them in through a standard door opening with ease. I also had a corner sofa removed; that was more difficult so they removed the feet.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » June 4th, 2019, 3:35 pm

As a student I had a job delivering stuff from a department store: 3 seater sofas, king-size beds etc. Unless your door has a massive door handle or particularly awkward access, then it should be fine.

A few times we had to come in through the back door or via the patio doors, or take the door off its hinges, and once we carried a sofa up a ladder to access via a balcony (wouldn't be allowed today!) but most deliveries were pretty straight forward.

If you are still worried, you can call the company and confirm the dimensions of the door with them (or go online and look at the dimensions of standard doors from say, B&Q, versus your door). Have the appropriate screwdriver handy if you think taking the door off will help, but otherwise, just open the door, offer to put the kettle on while they do their thing, and enjoy your new chair!

VRD

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » June 4th, 2019, 3:38 pm

Snorvey wrote:A few times we had to come in through the back door

:shock:

Confessions of a delivery driver!

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » June 4th, 2019, 4:12 pm

UncleIan wrote:If 70cm is a fairly standard door size (and I don't think there is really a standard door size)

We replaced all of the internal doors in our house, a few years back and there were 2x2 that were the same size but the remaining 10 were all different sizes. I let their fitter deal with that.

Slarti

Return to “Does anyone know?”