Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Gove - Drugs charge

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Gove - Drugs charge

Postby redsturgeon » June 10th, 2019, 9:01 am

Snorvey wrote:Michael Gove has admitted he was "fortunate" to avoid prison after using cocaine several times 20 years ago.

Given his admission / confession why isn't he being charged by the police?

Is there a time period after which this kind of offence 'drops off'?

If so, how long is that time period?

Confession not under caution so inadmissible.

John

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » June 10th, 2019, 10:11 am

Snorvey wrote:Michael Gove has admitted he was "fortunate" to avoid prison after using cocaine several times 20 years ago.

Given his admission / confession why isn't he being charged by the police?

Is there a time period after which this kind of offence 'drops off'?

If so, how long is that time period?

There is no general limitation period on criminal charges being brought in the UK. There are statutory time limits for some motoring offences like speeding, but no general limit.

There is, therefore, no legal barrier to prevent the police investigating this offence. However, there may be other evidential issues - like exactly where and when the offence(s) took place, and, presumably, the cost of investigating a historic offence with no direct evidence or victim. I suspect the CPS decision (were the police to seek to charge) would be that it is not in the public interest to proceed.

(I would personally like them to prosecute him - but that's because he's Gove, not for any sound legal or public policy reason)

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » June 10th, 2019, 11:09 am

The starting point for sentencing for a class A drug possession first offence is only a fine, so hardly worth pursuing really.

Scott.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 10th, 2019, 11:12 am

Snorvey wrote:Perhaps the police should go and interview him then.

We have to eradicate this drugs menace!

By that reckoning, Gove could be of much more interest to the police because of his proven readiness to stab his old friend Boris in the back with the sharpest knife in his kitchen drawer.

I'd let him off, personally. Acting in the public interest. ;)

BJ

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » June 10th, 2019, 11:29 am

Of course, let's not forget that all the people calling for him to be prosecuted have never ever broken the law of done anything illegal in their lives :roll:

It seems to me that it's more about dislike of the person than seeking justice.

.....and there was me thinking naivity and short sightedness was only limited to politicians.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 10th, 2019, 11:32 am

richlist wrote:Of course, let's not forget that all the people calling for him to be prosecuted have never ever broken the law of done anything illegal in their lives :roll:

Yup. If there is a Lemon here who wishes to claim that they have never broken any law, let them speak now!

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 10th, 2019, 11:37 am

Lootman wrote:
richlist wrote:Of course, let's not forget that all the people calling for him to be prosecuted have never ever broken the law of done anything illegal in their lives :roll:

Yup. If there is a Lemon here who wishes to claim that they have never broken any law, let them speak now!

I don't think Theresa May is a Lemon.

John

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 10th, 2019, 11:39 am

richlist wrote:Of course, let's not forget that all the people calling for him to be prosecuted have never ever broken the law of done anything illegal in their lives :roll: .

Done many things. Class A drugs, no. (Too many dead friends.) Backstabbing my like-minded colleague, no. Crippling the education system, no. Blathering about Karl Marx and Aristotle in the same sentence, only when incapacitated through alcohol. :)

It seems to me that it's more about dislike of the person than seeking justice.

Yep, that as well. This might be the first and only time that I agree with anything the Daily Mail says.

BJ

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » June 10th, 2019, 11:40 am

I'm not normally one to advocate breaking the law but does anyone really care about petty drug charges?

The only time it concerns me is if people are so desperate to get drugs that they resort to burglary, murder etc.

Affluent people using supposedly class A drugs behind closed doors would not be high up on my list of priorities for police investigation.

HYD
Last edited by Howyoudoin on June 10th, 2019, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » June 10th, 2019, 11:44 am

Snorvey wrote:So what's the point of making the taking of a Class A drug illegal if you're not going to prosecute?

Because it costs too much money in relation to the seriousness of the crime.

If it was down to me, i'd legalise all drugs. If someone wants to kill themselves/overdose etc, there are already plenty of ways they can do that within the current laws with alcohol, medication etc.

HYD

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 10th, 2019, 11:45 am

Howyoudoin wrote:Affluent people using supposedly class A drugs behind closed drugs would not be high up on my list of priorities for police investigation.

Too many of these closed drugs around, if you ask me.

BJ

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » June 10th, 2019, 11:52 am

Snorvey wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:I'm not normally one to advocate breaking the law but does anyone really care about petty drug charges?

The only time it concerns me is if people are so desperate to get drugs that they resort to burglary, murder etc.

Affluent people using supposedly class A drugs behind closed doors would not be high up on my list of priorities for police investigation.

HYD

Ah, so persecuting the poor whilst the rich get off with it.

Why not tax the rich junkies and use the money raised to buy drugs for the poor?

Exactly (sort of). Which is why I advocated all drugs being legalised in the very next post that you quoted above.

HYD

Return to “Does anyone know?”