Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

'Yellow Pages' category for terrace cleaning/jet-washing?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

'Yellow Pages' category for terrace cleaning/jet-washing?

Postby DiamondEcho » June 13th, 2019, 2:57 pm

I have a roof terrace that's been neglected by tenants for years and looks a dump. It's suffering from moss/lichen and some weeds and needs a thorough clean. It's tiled in 45*45Cm course-textured concrete tiles, with brick parapet wall topped with concrete coping stones. It's small, about 3*4M.

I was thinking pulling up and/or spraying the weeds, combined with jet-washing the surfaces is what's required. I'd like to get a company with the knowledge and equipment in to do it but IDK how to go about finding one. I live in west/Central London and anything I can find (Gardening services etc) is local and seems pitched for rich people! Most builders IME working in London drive in for the day, so with options for this job I don't see an issue with who ever travelling in to London to do the job.

But does anyone have a suggestion for how I might go about identifying 2-3 companies to provide quotes? Where might such companies be listed (does Yellow Pages even still exist?). Any idea/tips welcome! Thx.

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: 'Yellow Pages' category for terrace cleaning/jet-washing?

Postby 88V8 » June 13th, 2019, 3:13 pm

I think Pressure Washing is a thing.

But coarse-textured tiles, presumably in shade, are heaven for moss. So if it's just washed off, it will come back.

A simple DIY fix involves a can of Jeyes Fluid and a stiff broom. Will clean the surface, kill the moss and prevent regrowth for several months.
I use it a couple of times a year on our two long flights of stone front steps.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jeyes-Fluid- ... 68EP_kQ-RQ

If weeds are growing between the tiles, the pointing may need some redoing. Roundup will kill the weeds.

V8

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » June 13th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Checkatrade? https://www.checkatrade.com/Search/?loc ... 7&cat=1133 (cleaning - jet/pressure washing)

Whatever product they use, make sure it won't adversely affect the waterproofing of the roof!

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » June 13th, 2019, 4:20 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:But does anyone have a suggestion for how I might go about identifying 2-3 companies to provide quotes? Where might such companies be listed (does Yellow Pages even still exist?). Any idea/tips welcome! Thx.

Try searching for property maintenance services plus the location of the property. All sorts of companies pop up when you do that.

Slarti

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 13th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Given the size you quoted and thus the area why not just do it yourself? It is a simple enough job, just a bit messy. Mind you do need or have access to a power washer although Jeyes Fluid may do the trick. There is also some other stuff like Path and Patio Cleaner which I have used and is effective. They just need to be spread via a watering can although you would best remove weeds with say Pathclear first.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 13th, 2019, 5:56 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Given the size you quoted and thus the area why not just do it yourself? It is a simple enough job, just a bit messy. Mind you do need or have access to a power washer although Jeyes Fluid may do the trick.

I'd agree that with such a relatively small area to clean, buying a pressure washer and accompanying tools for patio cleaning and even car cleaning might be worth serious consideration.

I got this Nilfisk kit a few years ago now, which comes with all the car and patio accessories I needed, and it's had some great use for a huge variety of applications -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N1RKP37

Offers for the above kit are quite common, so it can be bought cheaper, but if the task needs doing now then I'd probably expect the OP to pay a good chunk of that price for someone else to do it for them, and of course they'd walk away with the tools they use to do the job...

Proper boys-toys stuff - these aren't 'jobs' they're 'fun'!

For pressure-washer offers, both Nilfisk and Karcher, then HOTUKDEALS are worth keeping an eye on, as offers do crop up regularly - https://www.hotukdeals.com/search?q=pressure+washer

In fact after having just done another deeper check, it looks like there's a Nilfisk one with a patio-cleaner (but less of the other accessories) for just £65 here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MTZWJWA

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “Does anyone know?”