Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Has anything happened to blood donation locations

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Rover110
Lemon Pip

Has anything happened to blood donation locations

Postby Rover110 » June 17th, 2019, 11:34 am

Until a few years ago, I was a regular blood donor.
I am trying to return to donating blood, but I can't find anywhere locally to give blood.
I'm not in the wilds of anywhere, just the suburbs of London (Purley). And there used to be a few places I could walk to (generally church halls).

DAK if something has changed in the blood donor policy in the last few years that has stopped them using all their (convenient to me) old locations?

I don't want to drive as parking generally seems difficult. And I was once turned away through being too hot and sweaty when I cycled to a venue.

- Rover

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Has anything happened to blood donation locations

Postby Itsallaguess » June 17th, 2019, 11:42 am

Rover110 wrote:
Until a few years ago, I was a regular blood donor.

I am trying to return to donating blood, but I can't find anywhere locally to give blood.

I'm not in the wilds of anywhere, just the suburbs of London (Purley). And there used to be a few places I could walk to (generally church halls).

You can put your postcode into the right hand side of this NHS page, and it'll give you details of the nearest options available to you, which you could follow up by contacting and confirming before heading out -

https://www.blood.co.uk/the-donation-pr ... on-venues/

As well as the above local options, the above page also lists three permanent London donation sites too -

Edgware - https://www.blood.co.uk/the-donation-pr ... n-edgware/

Tooting - https://www.blood.co.uk/the-donation-pr ... or-centre/

West End - https://www.blood.co.uk/the-donation-pr ... -west-end/

Hopefully the above might help as an initial starting point at least.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » June 17th, 2019, 11:46 am

Rover110 wrote:
DAK if something has changed in the blood donor policy in the last few years that has stopped them using all their (convenient to me) old locations?

I don't want to drive as parking generally seems difficult. And I was once turned away through being too hot and sweaty when I cycled to a venue.

- Rover

You're not too far from St George's where there is a major centre

https://www.blood.co.uk/the-donation-pr ... or-centre/

I used to do plasma and platelets there many years ago.

Also off that page there is a search facility which shows up a few venues in the Purley area such as the leisure centre.

DM

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 17th, 2019, 11:47 am

Rover110 wrote:I don't want to drive as parking generally seems difficult. And I was once turned away through being too hot and sweaty when I cycled to a venue.
- Rover

Can't answer the question (have you tried asking around - for example in a local pharmacy?). But I have a supplementary question.

I'm mildly surprised you'd consider either driving or cycling in the first place. Are many folks confident of their ability to come out of giving blood without feeling a bit too light-headed to put oneself in charge of a vehicle?

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » June 17th, 2019, 12:07 pm

I have given blood many times, but not at all for the last few years. It's been made too difficult.

It was most convenient when a mobile lorry came to my place of work. Since then, the service has made it progressively more difficult for me to give blood:

- The mobile service doesn't appear to exist any more.

- My most recent donation was at my local temporary centre on a Sunday but since then they have only had weekday sessions. I can't get there during a weekday session after work because they finish too early.

- I live more than twenty miles from any of the permanent locations.

I can't even check future dates at temporary donations centres on their website without registering and logging in!

It's almost as if they don't want people to give blood!

Watis

Rover110
Lemon Pip

Postby Rover110 » June 17th, 2019, 12:34 pm

I've visited the "find local venues" a few times without success.
The nearest place to me only has one session listed but that's appointment only and fully booked, and doesn't show up at all for the following year.
At the last place I donated, I understood that they wouldn't be using that venue again (no reason given but it isn't listed any more).

The nearest listed place (Phoenix Centre) is 2 miles from me; yes loads of sessions listed but I'd have to change buses.
And Tooting is hard to get to - I'll drive my wife there for eye appointments but traffic...

I remember reading a recent news-feed item saying that men aren't donating as often as they used to.
I hope Watis and my experience are not becoming the norm.

UncleEbenezer: I've never had a dizzy spell after giving blood. I think they now make you sit still sufficiently long for your body to adjust. But there's always a first time.

- Rover

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » June 17th, 2019, 12:56 pm

You're not too far from St George's where there is a major centre

DM

I wouldn't describe Purley to Tooting as particularly close, or easy to get between.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » June 17th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Watis wrote:It's almost as if they don't want people to give blood!

I'll give you a scenario in England.

An advocate speaks to someone who decides to give blood/someone is inspired to give blood/an appeal for group O donors is made in the media

That someone goes to blood.co.uk

Hurdle 1: If you want to see where sessions are held, a new donor needs to register

Hurdle 2: Get an appointment

Location: Where I live, criteria - give blood anytime after 5pm weekdays or whenever at the weekends.

A search pulls up:
Tue 18th Jun (today) - No availability
Tue 2nd Jul (2 weeks)- No availability
Tue 9th Jul (3 weeks) - "some availability" - One 14:40
Tue 16th Jul (4 weeks) - Availability between 1345 and 16:35
Thu 25th Jul (5 weeks) - Availability between 1350 and 16:50 then one appointment at 19:05
Thu 8th Aug (7 weeks) - Availability between 1255 and 1900. The 1700 and 1800 slots gone.

Yep - that spontaneous decision to give blood has turned into a 7 week wait.

The donation process has got really efficient - very little waiting around, probably a 80% certainty of "blood given, tea drunk, biscuit eaten, out the door" within a hour of the appointment time. You've just got to get an appointment first.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » June 17th, 2019, 4:08 pm

I recommend the West End blood place in Margaret Street. After giving blood, I was highly pleased to be asked, "tea or a beer Sir?" Yup, a small can of Guinness really hits the spot, if you've got less blood...

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » June 17th, 2019, 5:15 pm

I recommend the West End blood place in Margaret Street. After giving blood, I was highly pleased to be asked, "tea or a beer Sir?" Yup, a small can of Guinness really hits the spot, if you've got less blood...

That didn't happen when I was there in April! In fact I've never been offered a beer in the 20+ years I've been donating there.

I seem to recall that, although stout contains iron, you need to drink about 16 pints to get your recommended daily amount of iron. Liver failure might be quite high up the risks!

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » June 18th, 2019, 12:54 pm

I restarted giving blood a while ago after a long gap (after they stopped the mobile van that came to my work at the time).
It took a year before they took my first donation, due to scarcity of appointments, and then they cancelled one at 4 hours' notice.
It looks as though I need to book appointments approximately 6 months ahead to get one in my own town - as above, it suggests that they aren't that short of donors, or there would be empty appointments.

They were however very pleased to see me as my blood group is apparently in demand, so I have a hotline phone number to get an appointment even when none is showing online.

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » June 25th, 2019, 11:02 am

Rover110 wrote:Until a few years ago, I was a regular blood donor.

- Rover

My local donation location got scrapped; pity, but hey-ho. I now have to drive a lot furrther but I can usually do it in conjuntion with another task in the same twon. The permanent donation centures (as differentiated to the twice-a-year-lcoal-village-hall-etc ones) are usually very efficient. Always book an appointment (rather than walk-in) if you can.

Return to “Does anyone know?”