Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Holiday insurance provided via Building Society

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

Holiday insurance provided via Building Society

Postby AndyPandy » June 19th, 2019, 9:50 am

We've had a Nationwide Flex Account for donkeys years. Ages ago, Banks and Building Societies went through a phase of offering free Travel Insurance to Account holders. Not the case nowadays but with NW, as long as we keep the Account going we still have the cover and we get an Annual letter to say that we are still covered.

I've had a read through and it seems to cover what I would want to cover - lost luggage, illness abroad etc. US of A and skiing are exclusions, which is fair enough. Anyone had any experience of making a claim through one? Are they worth the paper they are written on? A similar policy for our family through HolidayExtras is about £60pa but I don't know whether or not there's any point in buying it as we're about to book our Summer Holiday.

Thanks.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Re: Holiday insurance provided via Building Society

Postby chas49 » June 19th, 2019, 10:25 am

I can certainly report having a valid claim paid out with relatively little hassle. Had to deal with a call centre operator who didn't understand that the Dr's letter which said "I care for this person" meant he was her doctor!

Apart from that, fairly easy and £1000 claim paid.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 19th, 2019, 10:36 am

Yes I have made a claim through Nationwide Flex Account travel insurance - no issues at all.

The only issue I have is they seem to price the existing medical condition coverage quite expensively.

AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

Postby AndyPandy » June 19th, 2019, 10:56 am

AF62 wrote:Yes I have made a claim through Nationwide Flex Account travel insurance - no issues at all.

The only issue I have is they seem to price the existing medical condition coverage quite expensively.

Yes, I'm on tablets for high BP so rang them to declare it. The tablets are doing the trick and my BP is spot on, but they wanted £30pa to cover it. As my BP is now normal, I declined and it's an exclusion now.

rhialto

Postby rhialto » July 12th, 2019, 9:45 am

AndyPandy wrote:
AF62 wrote:Yes I have made a claim through Nationwide Flex Account travel insurance - no issues at all.

Yes, I'm on tablets for high BP so rang them to declare it. The tablets are doing the trick and my BP is spot on, but they wanted £30pa to cover it. As my BP is now normal, I declined and it's an exclusion now.

That's brave. I'd expect the BP exclusion wouldn't just exclude treatment for acutely raised blood pressure alone (how would you know you had it?) but also the expected sequelae of hypertension - eg stroke and heart attacks. I'd get it in writing they'd cover you for those events, else you may find that £30 is £30 very well spent.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 12th, 2019, 11:00 am

Interesting subject. I have travel insurance included with my Lloyds Bank platinum account, and I got a French doctor's fees (sub £200) reimbursed a few years ago without any trouble. But when I later declared that I was taking daily medication for the (successful) control of my genetically high blood cholesterol level, I was informed that anything remotely related to my circulatory system would be henceforth excluded.

Last year I had a minor colon cancer successfully removed, and I am now confirmed fully fit and cancer free - I'm being monitored for the next five years, just to be on the safe side. But I understand that this will result in an exclusion on my travel insurance for the rest of my life, because I now have a permanent cancer record against my name. :(

The total insurance exclusion seems a little heavy to me, particularly since colon cancer is incredibly slow-growing in its early stages, and I'd surely be on the boat back to Britain like a shot if anything seemed to be going wrong? However, it didn't turn out so badly in the end. I consoled myself by consulting the meerkat on the cost of travel insurance with a declared "cured cancer", and it was only about twenty quid more than I'd have paid with nothing at all on my medical record.

Return to “Does anyone know?”