Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Is slow charging Li batteries better than fast?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Is slow charging Li batteries better than fast?

Postby stevensfo » July 16th, 2019, 1:50 pm

I seem to remember years ago hearing that it's best to charge a battery slowly. No idea why.

Since I'm using 18v/36v cordless tools more and more and collecting 18v batteries, I'd like to get a 2nd charger and noticed that they all seem to be labelled as 'Fast 30 minute charger' as opposed my old Makita charger that takes a good 2 hours.

Are these okay to use, or will they shorten the life of the battery?

Steve

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Is slow charging Li batteries better than fast?

Postby Breelander » July 16th, 2019, 6:29 pm

More than you could possibly want to know here at the Battery University...

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/art ... _batteries

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 18th, 2019, 12:38 pm

stevensfo wrote:I seem to remember years ago hearing that it's best to charge a battery slowly. No idea why.

Since I'm using 18v/36v cordless tools more and more and collecting 18v batteries, I'd like to get a 2nd charger and noticed that they all seem to be labelled as 'Fast 30 minute charger' as opposed my old Makita charger that takes a good 2 hours.

I can only say, through personal experience with an Energiser fast charger for AA/AAA batteries, it appears to have shortened the life of more than one set of NiMH AAs. Through overheating.

Hardgrafter
2 Lemon pips

Postby Hardgrafter » July 18th, 2019, 3:20 pm

Steve,

Straight answer is YES. Charging fast reduces battery life. With mobile phone batteries, and fast charger reduces life time to 50 charge cycles, compared to 500 cycles for a the slow chargers. The mobile phone turbo chargers, which reduce the rate of charging after 85% full, are somewhat better than simple fast charging. But I doubt the simple batteries used in power tools will be so sophisticated as a computer in a mobile phone. See that Battery University for more details, but its mostly to do with crystal sizes.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 18th, 2019, 4:18 pm

XFool wrote:
stevensfo wrote:I seem to remember years ago hearing that it's best to charge a battery slowly. No idea why.

I can only say, through personal experience with an Energiser fast charger for AA/AAA batteries, it appears to have shortened the life of more than one set of NiMH AAs. Through overheating.

Well, I noticed that the so called Fast Li battery chargers have a fan to cool down the system during charging.

Though given the size, weight and shape of my Makita 18v batteries and therefore the distance that heat has to travel, I can't imagine a fan making a huge difference.

Steve

Return to “Does anyone know?”