Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Talk21

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
XFool
The full Lemon

Talk21

Postby XFool » July 17th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Jesus Christ!

Something has finally happened with my Talk21 email account (DON'T ASK!). It has been 'updated' by Yahoo, BT, who knows...

I don't actually 'use' it you understand (OK, I accept that you don't). But it is still my email log in for e.g The BBC, who now have stopped accepting it without "verification" - after ~10+ years of using it without problems.

Yeah. I've even discovered I can STILL log on to it - dunno how - and it's NEW, and doubtless 'improved'. Which is probably why it doesn't work - I have tried and tried but I cannot even get it to delete messages. NO, not even by marking messages and clicking 'DELETE'. Brilliant, huh? 'Account management' is the main reason I log on to it these days, indeed the ONLY reason I log on to it these days.

Can somebody who knows about software development explain to me, and everyone else, why software is getting crappier and crappier with every passing year. Perhaps it is just one of those deep and unanswerable mysteries like: 'Why is there something rather than nothing? What is the purpose of the Universe?'

Additionally, does anyone still alive, still sane, still in possession of enough of their faculties, have any inkling of what is going on/has just happened?

P.S. It IS NOW deleting messages after selecting them and clicking on DELETE. Is this part of a 'slow software' revolution or something? :evil:

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Talk21

Postby XFool » July 17th, 2019, 8:11 pm

...Could it be that BT have FINALLY (years and years on from when they promised/said) taken ALL the remaining Talk21 email accounts in-house?

That's what it seems to look like. Logging on via Yahoo Mail seems to now redirect to a BT email account.

The saga continues...

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » July 17th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Sorry, I can't comment upon Talk21.

HOWEVER, I had a tesco.net email account. I moved on, but left many things (including emails from my profesional association) with them. This worked for many years, then Tescos (you know the supermarket) decided that really it should concentrait upon selling food etc, rather than mortgages and internet access.

My access to emails stopped.
Emails sent to my address started bouncing.

Eventually I started getting letters (snail mail) from people who really needed to contact me.
I had to phone and explain to someone that I couldn't request a new password to change my email, because that email would bounce!

I actually do happen to work in software development, but would you believe that my employer is only interested in things that pay?

It's my fault that I got into that situation (not informing people that I had moved).

As for "Verification", well you need to look outside the software community for the reasons for that. I don't (well actually I do) know why I should be asked by financial institutions who I've had accounts with for decades to prove who I am! I don't know (again I do) why people who rent property need a PASSPORT, ok, they can at a pinch get by with a utility bill (so they need to pay bills before they start renting) and a full size birth certificate. I don't know (yet again I do) why you need to provide your NI (state pension details) to rent a van.

Ok, if you haven't guessed, the state doesn't like you being anonymous!
Personally I REALLY dislike that fact. However I recognise that others might just argue that people renting vans should be checked against a Terrorist database and that a single uneque number, such as a National Insurance Number, could make things easier.

What's your position about having to prove who you are to state institutions, governed by Royal Charter (such as the BBC)?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 17th, 2019, 8:31 pm

Meanwhile...

Having logged on to the BBC website - I am logged on 'cos I can see my log on username, which I never use to log on with, 'cos I can never log on with it!
BUT
Having logged on to the BBC website using my Talk21 email, which is what I ALWAYS use to log on to my BBC website account, 'cos my log on name doesn't seem to work, the BBC now ask me to 'verify' my Talk21 email account, which I have been using to log on to the BBC website for years and years without problems.

Verification means I need to click on a link in an email (WHY?) that I have (NOT) received in my Talk21 email account, despite my requesting a 'Resend email' while logged on to my BBC website account. Which I know I am, 'cos I can see my log on username, which I never use 'cos I know it doesn't work to log on with, which is why I always log on with my Talk21 email account. As I have today...

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 17th, 2019, 8:41 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:What's your position about having to prove who you are to state institutions, governed by Royal Charter (such as the BBC)?

I haven't a clue. It all worked straightforwardly the last time I tried - that's all I know.

In all this shenanigans I at some point was asked by Yahoo for my personal details, DOB, Postal Code, City of birth. I answered all questions perfectly honestly. The response was: Information does not agree. :lol: Perhaps in 1999 I made up some guff, I've no idea now!

Anyway, I CAN now log on to my BT(?) Talk21 email account perfectly OK with my existing username and password. But no sign of a 'verification' email from the BBC. So the BBC account screw up still exists - perhaps they want to know I am UK resident (I am) and have a TV licence (I do). But there is just no information about what is going on. It's hopeless.

"Comments
You need to verify your email address before you can comment and rate comments. Check your inbox for the email we sent when you registered. Can't find it? Resend the email from here.

All posts are reactively-moderated and must obey the house rules.
"

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 17th, 2019, 9:04 pm

I am beginning to expect the usual thing: loads of coincidences.

The Talk21 email account has changed since the last time I logged on for 'account management'.
I normally log on to the BBC OK for iPlayer etc, but haven't logged on to comment etc. for yonks. Something may have changed since the last time.
Don't know why I am not getting the BBC verification email at my registered address, but I have reported it to the BBC via their site email page.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » July 17th, 2019, 10:12 pm

XFool wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:What's your position about having to prove who you are to state institutions, governed by Royal Charter (such as the BBC)?

I haven't a clue. It all worked straightforwardly the last time I tried - that's all I know.

Ok,no need to answer, it dosn't meet the remit of DYK, however I do have to point out that it was a honest question, about why you should be surprised that, for example, the BBC might need PROOF (not just your say so) that at least you are who you say you are. And then from there that such a person does hold a TV licence.

UrbanDreamer could claim to hold a TV licence (and indeed there is such a licence on the property that I own). However who am I, and what licence do I have to recieve the BBC? I would not be surprised to be asked such by the BBC online.

Back "then", were you asked the questions that you so freely answer here? OK you didn't give licence numbers or ID to prove that entitlement, but let us assume that you are willing to do so for the BBC. The issue is not however someone new, but someone claiming to be you (who actually is you). Can you or they prove that? There is an argument that digitally, you should simply become a new identity (with association with a real person). It's easier than the reverse, proving that there is a real person behind the digital.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 17th, 2019, 11:11 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:
XFool wrote:

Ok,no need to answer, it dosn't meet the remit of DYK, however I do have to point out that it was a honest question, about why you should be surprised that, for example, the BBC might need PROOF (not just your say so) that at least you are who you say you are. And then from there that such a person does hold a TV licence.

Well, they haven't required such online proof for around ten years or more and they still don't. They still simply ask if I have a TV licence, answering Yes lets me view TV.

It's just when posting a comment or voting posts up or down that requires email 'verification'. Something I haven't done for years.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 22nd, 2019, 6:19 pm

A possible answer to the weird 'I know I'm logged on 'cos I can see my username, but I know I can't log on with my username' mystery!

Apparently, starting from some date in the past, if you were above 13 years of age you could no longer log on to the BBC via your username, as formerly, but need to log on using your email address. Haven't yet got on top of the Verification issue.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 22nd, 2019, 7:51 pm

Returning to the Talk21 'issue' itself. It still does appear to be running on BT Yahoo! Yahoo seems to be claiming they have some 'new improved' email system or UI.

1. Start to log on to Yahoo via usual Yahoo logon page
2. Entering Talk21 email address causes redirect to home.bt.com email log on - with email address field completed by Talk21 address
3. Complete logon by entering Talk21 password at home.bt.com logon
3. Email account is BT Yahoo basic email account!!! (So redirected back to Yahoo?)

Well, it's something new I guess...

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » July 23rd, 2019, 11:34 am

XFool wrote:Can somebody who knows about software development explain to me, and everyone else, why software is getting crappier and crappier with every passing year. Perhaps it is just one of those deep and unanswerable mysteries

No, it's simple. In the old days developing websites or software required you to understand coding. Which required a developer with the capacity for good spelling (because syntax mattered) and logical thought.

These days, software design just involves dragging pretty pictures around in a software development tool. Children and artists can do it. Artists do come up with websites that look pretty, even if they don't work. And either of those are much cheaper than competent software developers.

Have you noticed every website is turning into enormous graphics with minimal content on each page? Great for phones but useless on a large PC screen. The new Selftrade site is a classic example.

Gryff - Software Engineer - Retired

Return to “Does anyone know?”