Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

BBC Rado 3 FM - Sutton Coldfield Transmitter

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
mike
Lemon Slice

BBC Rado 3 FM - Sutton Coldfield Transmitter

Postby mike » August 10th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Hi

For what seems like a few weeks now, during quiet moments on BBC R3 FM, I am hearing a noise that reminds me of tuning an old dial wireless back in the 60s or 70s. I have noticed no problems on R4. This is on my HIFi system using a Creek T43 tuner and a large loft aerial and has been fine since being installed in 1999.

Another radio set in the house also has poorer reception on R3 than R4.

I have found an old thread from 2015 https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=118174 and the conclusion was it was a transmitter fault. The current problem I am experiencing has been going on long enough for a transmitter fault to have been noted.

Has anyone else experienced any problems recently ?

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: BBC Rado 3 FM - Sutton Coldfield Transmitter

Postby richfool » August 10th, 2019, 3:12 pm

None in terms of quality of signal, except for the fact that we can't get any BBC stations today, (but I do live in the deep south). :?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 10th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Have you tried this https://www.bbc.co.uk/receptionsearch This tool will help you find your local transmitter and check for faults/

Probably will not assist.

Depending on how near you are to the SC transmitter might impact on whether or not there is interference from another elsewhere.

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » August 10th, 2019, 5:14 pm

PinkDalek wrote:Have you tried this https://www.bbc.co.uk/receptionsearch This tool will help you find your local transmitter and check for faults/

Probably will not assist.

Depending on how near you are to the SC transmitter might impact on whether or not there is interference from another elsewhere.

Thanks PD, but I had tried that tool, and all reported as OK. I'm less than 20 miles away from the SC transmitter, and it is one of the most powerful in the country, so should drown out any other as my aerial is directional as per the OP.

Head scratching continues, but the jazz programme on at the moment does not seem to be affected.

Return to “Does anyone know?”