Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Google Maps live traffic

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Google Maps live traffic

Postby Nimrod103 » August 24th, 2019, 1:12 pm

Can somebody explain how Google maps records live traffic data and how reliable it is? I'm currently looking at a main road to the coast, wiere there are shown jams at the predicted congestion points. Are they real, or just a prediction based on previous data?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Google Maps live traffic

Postby Itsallaguess » August 24th, 2019, 1:21 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:
Can somebody explain how Google maps records live traffic data and how reliable it is?

I'm currently looking at a main road to the coast, where there are shown jams at the predicted congestion points. Are they real, or just a prediction based on previous data?

It used to be done just by live feed-back from other road-users, where Google would see a number of cars slowing down over a length of road and aggregate that live-speed information to then indicate back to users of that route by either an orange or red line on the section of road that was experiencing delays, with orange being a slight slow-down and red being harsher traffic conditions.

Nowadays, there's also the additional 'active report-back' mechanism, where users can directly report congestion issues using the software, and depending on the number of users reporting such issues, live feed-back can be performed faster than was performed when they just used live feeds back from the cars.

https://insanertech.com/how-to-report-a ... ogle-maps/

I don't do a massive amount of long-distance driving, but nevertheless I've always found the congestion feed-back on Google Maps to be very reliable.

Have you tried cross-checking your proposed route with the live AA congestion maps, or the Traffic England site?

https://www.theaa.com/route-planner/traffic-news

http://www.trafficengland.com/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » August 24th, 2019, 1:26 pm

From anyone using Google maps on their smart phone or other device.

You obviously have to enable 'Location' and the app will transmit to Google Maps if you are not moving and your speed if you are.

Enough people using this on busy roads nowadays to get sufficient accuracy.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » August 24th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:Can somebody explain how Google maps records live traffic data and how reliable it is? I'm currently looking at a main road to the coast, wiere there are shown jams at the predicted congestion points. Are they real, or just a prediction based on previous data?

It's fairly accurate, however when making decisions before you leave on a long journey (more than 80 miles) you need to apply a bit of logic, as the traffic situation at a known hotspot reported by Google at a point 80 miles (1h30 away), may not reflect the traffic situation when you get there.

A newly restricted stretch of roadworks with average speed cameras will also throw Google Maps, and will show as orange for weeks until Google's logic realises that the stretch of road which once was "good for 70+ offpeak/50 when its bad" a while ago, is now restricted to 50mph 24/7.

I have also found that the routing logic is sometimes flawed - e.g. sending you on a 3 miles out of your way to deliver a 1 minute timesaving.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 24th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:Are they real, or just a prediction based on previous data?

Real.

I got caught out recently heading home hitting a traffic jam due to an unexpected road closure. Google had already picked it up and was rerouting me, but I knew better and chose a shortcut I knew - result being I ended up at the back of a traffic jam on a country lane on a shortcut everyone else seemed to know as well, and which importantly Google had marked solid red - a lane which normally sees one car an hour, so no-way a historic prediction. Swallowing my pride I did a U turn and followed Google's directions which routed me by a longer route but which was far quicker.

john10001
2 Lemon pips

Postby john10001 » August 25th, 2019, 6:47 pm

I sometimes find that Google Maps instructions are not very clear and their maps on a smaller smartphone are too small and zoomed in to get a better sense of things. Google Maps traffic info is great however their maps are not as up to date as rivals. One other issue I have with Google Maps is because everyone else seems to be using it as well it is directing everyone on the same path which then clogs up that path so you also sometimes have to use your own intellect and do the opposite to what Google Maps tells you.

I have recently started to use Waze more often for the cleaner more up to date maps. It seems to be more driver-friendly. A road close to me that was made into a dead end a few years ago has still not been updated by Google Maps (even though I reported it, seems they do not trust or believe me) and it keeps telling me to go up it whereas on Waze it is shown as a dead end and I am directed up different roads instead. I am not sure on Waze traffic information though, and whether the users can realistically report things using the app while driving only perhaps while stuck in a standstill. I will have to use it more often to get a better idea on that. I am pretty impressed with it as an alternative though.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 25th, 2019, 8:09 pm

The trouble with Waze, apart from the childish cartoon interface, is its desire to send you complicated routes to save 15 seconds.

I also find the junction information far poorer with Waze, whereas Google Maps gives pretty decent lane indication.

Return to “Does anyone know?”