Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,johnhemming,Anonymous,Rhyd6,dredd0, for Donating to support the site

Adjective sought

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
csearle
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2257
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 2:24 pm
Has thanked: 1331 times
Been thanked: 530 times

Adjective sought

#248561

Postby csearle » September 1st, 2019, 11:55 pm

DAK if there an adjective that describes someone that, when argument fails them, resorts instead to suppression of the opposing opinion to win the argument? C.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1845
Joined: November 6th, 2016, 9:58 pm
Has thanked: 772 times
Been thanked: 1777 times

Re: Adjective sought

#248573

Postby Clitheroekid » September 2nd, 2019, 12:25 am

Putinian? ;)

BellaHubby
Posts: 26
Joined: January 21st, 2017, 11:57 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Adjective sought

#248609

Postby BellaHubby » September 2nd, 2019, 8:42 am

Johnsonian?

tikunetih
Lemon Slice
Posts: 362
Joined: December 14th, 2018, 10:30 am
Has thanked: 145 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: Adjective sought

#248618

Postby tikunetih » September 2nd, 2019, 9:21 am

BellaHubby wrote:Johnsonian?



I think "blojonian" is the correct term.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half
Posts: 5600
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:06 am
Has thanked: 549 times
Been thanked: 1066 times

Re: Adjective sought

#248620

Postby redsturgeon » September 2nd, 2019, 9:32 am

Totalitarianist

John

csearle
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2257
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 2:24 pm
Has thanked: 1331 times
Been thanked: 530 times

Re: Adjective sought

#248627

Postby csearle » September 2nd, 2019, 10:25 am

Thanks team.

Arborbridge
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4617
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:33 am
Has thanked: 983 times
Been thanked: 1590 times

Re: Adjective sought

#248631

Postby Arborbridge » September 2nd, 2019, 10:38 am

csearle wrote:Thanks team.



The flaw is, that it doesn't win the argument.

And please don't say: "Oh yes it does!" :lol:

chas49
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1044
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:25 am
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 153 times

Re: Adjective sought

#248853

Postby chas49 » September 3rd, 2019, 9:46 am

Moderator Message:
This discussion is not really a DAK, and should be continued elsewhere if necessary. Thread locked (chas49
)

chas49
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1044
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:25 am
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 153 times

Re: Adjective sought

#249140

Postby chas49 » September 4th, 2019, 8:36 am

Moderator Message:
On reflection, the original question is a DAK even if most (all?) of the answers so far are arguably not factual.

The thread is unlocked to permit discussion within the guidelines for this board. Please stick to those when responding. (chas49)

jfgw
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1176
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:36 pm
Has thanked: 192 times
Been thanked: 305 times

Re: Adjective sought

#249191

Postby jfgw » September 4th, 2019, 10:35 am

The best word I have found so far is "repudiator".

Julian F. G. W.

Julian
Lemon Slice
Posts: 706
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:58 am
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 244 times

Re: Adjective sought

#249488

Postby Julian » September 5th, 2019, 10:14 am

I don't have a good answer but perhaps, derived from a very interesting short article that I found while trying to find an answer, someone who refutes (refutor?) might technically be the best word.

The article, well worth a read in my opinion, is here...

https://www.austincc.edu/buck/eng/1301/ ... gument.htm

- Julian

P.S. I can't speak for the other Julian but this one is aware that "The J team" seem to have come up with nouns rather than adjectives. Oops!

servodude
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1152
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 5:56 am
Has thanked: 186 times
Been thanked: 267 times

Re: Adjective sought

#249771

Postby servodude » September 6th, 2019, 7:00 am

csearle wrote:DAK if there an adjective that describes someone that, when argument fails them, resorts instead to suppression of the opposing opinion to win the argument? C.


it might help if you qualify what you mean by supression here:
- subjugation? - i.e. suppression of the other party by force
- hiding? - viz trying to prevent the argument from being heard
or something else

Two really good websites I like for explaining lapses in critical thinking are:
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/
https://yourbias.is/

you might find something among the contents of those

- sd

csearle
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2257
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 2:24 pm
Has thanked: 1331 times
Been thanked: 530 times

Re: Adjective sought

#249775

Postby csearle » September 6th, 2019, 7:33 am

servodude wrote:it might help if you qualify what you mean by supression here:
- subjugation? - i.e. suppression of the other party by force
- hiding? - viz trying to prevent the argument from being heard
or something else

Two really good websites I like for explaining lapses in critical thinking are:
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/
https://yourbias.is/

you might find something among the contents of those
Thanks, I'll take a look later after work. I was thinking of the "trying to prevent the argument from being heard" direction. C.

chas49
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1044
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:25 am
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 153 times

Re: Adjective sought

#249784

Postby chas49 » September 6th, 2019, 8:56 am

Julian wrote:I don't have a good answer but perhaps, derived from a very interesting short article that I found while trying to find an answer, someone who refutes (refutor?) might technically be the best word.

The article, well worth a read in my opinion, is here...

https://www.austincc.edu/buck/eng/1301/ ... gument.htm

- Julian

P.S. I can't speak for the other Julian but this one is aware that "The J team" seem to have come up with nouns rather than adjectives. Oops!


Leaving aside the issue of nouns vs adjectives, repudiate seems better than refute. Repudiate is roughly equivalent to "I disagree", whereas refute is more like "Here is evidence to show you're wrong".

https://grammarist.com/usage/repudiate-vs-refute/

servodude
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1152
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 5:56 am
Has thanked: 186 times
Been thanked: 267 times

Re: Adjective sought

#249788

Postby servodude » September 6th, 2019, 9:24 am

csearle wrote:
servodude wrote:it might help if you qualify what you mean by supression here:
- subjugation? - i.e. suppression of the other party by force
- hiding? - viz trying to prevent the argument from being heard
or something else

Two really good websites I like for explaining lapses in critical thinking are:
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/
https://yourbias.is/

you might find something among the contents of those
Thanks, I'll take a look later after work. I was thinking of the "trying to prevent the argument from being heard" direction. C.


Depends on context (as most things!) but how about: refractive

-sd

servodude
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1152
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 5:56 am
Has thanked: 186 times
Been thanked: 267 times

Re: Adjective sought

#249797

Postby servodude » September 6th, 2019, 9:54 am

servodude wrote:
csearle wrote:
servodude wrote:it might help if you qualify what you mean by supression here:
- subjugation? - i.e. suppression of the other party by force
- hiding? - viz trying to prevent the argument from being heard
or something else

Two really good websites I like for explaining lapses in critical thinking are:
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/
https://yourbias.is/

you might find something among the contents of those
Thanks, I'll take a look later after work. I was thinking of the "trying to prevent the argument from being heard" direction. C.


Depends on context (as most things!) but how about: refractive

-sd

Damn autocorrect! I meant redactive!

Grrrr
- sd


Return to “Does anyone know?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest