Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

The next step....

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
didds
Lemon Half

The next step....

Postby didds » September 6th, 2019, 10:39 am

As of 0700 when the funds cleared Mrs Didds and I are now mortgage free.

Which frees up several hundreds of pounds per month ... which we will now squirrel away into some pathetically inadequate retirement fund :-) I appreciate that in reality that won't yield an enormous fund/amount - more a case of every litle helps etc

I'm thinking along the lines of tracker funds - albeit at age 56/57 we're probably only got a decade or maybe 15-ish years time to save anything in reality . So any generic suggestions would be welcomed to get a feel for what we can do . I don't have the inclination to constantly research buy/sell so direct investments probably aren't for us (which in reality means me ;-) ).

cheers

didds

JuanDB
2 Lemon pips

Re: The next step....

Postby JuanDB » September 6th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Congratulations on paying off the mortgage! A big step and one I plan to follow within the the next year.

I would suggest something like the vanguard life strategy or target retirement products are worth a look for what you describe. Low cost broadly diversified trackers balanced with bond funds to manage risk to a retirement.

Thanks,

Juan.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » September 6th, 2019, 4:47 pm

My own strategy was a fixed rate one year for the first year and then cash that and invest into a self select ISA, mainly bought on a long term buy and hold with the holdings split between 50% purchased for growth the other 50% for dividends.

Despite some real stinkers (anything retail, Marconi, Barclays) I have achieved over 15% growth per annum, which is way more than I can see getting from any other for of savings.

I tend to only look at them one a month.

Slarti

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » September 6th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Slarti wrote:My own strategy was a fixed rate one year for the first year and then cash that and invest into a self select ISA, mainly bought on a long term buy and hold with the holdings split between 50% purchased for growth the other 50% for dividends.

Despite some real stinkers (anything retail, Marconi, Barclays) I have achieved over 15% growth per annum, which is way more than I can see getting from any other for of savings.

I tend to only look at them one a month.

Slarti

Blimey :D 15% pa.

Has Warren Buffett contacted you for investment advice?

How long have you maintained your investment performance at this rate?

Yours respectfully

Howard

Return to “Does anyone know?”