Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Selling or simply giving textbooks to a good home

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Dod101
The full Lemon

Selling or simply giving textbooks to a good home

Postby Dod101 » September 11th, 2019, 12:28 pm

DAK how I can dispose of three maths text books? Elementary Functional Analysis, Elementary Real and Complex Analysis, both by Georgi Shilov and Rieman's Zeta Function by H M Edwards. Needless to say all three are like new. I have no idea how I acquired them. Anyone who has knowledge of maths will understand that they are anything but 'elementary' in the normal sense of that term.

Dod

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Selling or simply giving textbooks to a good home

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 11th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Do you have a University nearby?

Have you contacted its library? Or maths department library, or (if applicable) college libraries with an interest in maths?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 11th, 2019, 7:53 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Do you have a University nearby?

Have you contacted its library? Or maths department library, or (if applicable) college libraries with an interest in maths?

Good idea. Thanks UE. I should have thought of that.

I want to remove them from my shelves but cannot bring myself to chuck them so that is I guess the obvious (except to me!) answer.

Dod

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » September 12th, 2019, 8:14 am

If there is a suitable College of FE or uni nearby then dropping into the student union and putting up a notice may be an idea.

Looking on ebay these do sell - but not for a lot. I guess the thing is if they are not on a course reading list at uni etc then they may only be general interest (for want of a better term!) so libraries may be the only interested party then in reality.

Its the same issue with any unwanted book really - the chances of anyone being interested is actually very low unless it is a collectors item - how many copies of Harry potters do you see at boot sales for example still, forlornly waiting for the person that has never ever read any living in a house that doesnt already have a copy?

didds

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 12th, 2019, 9:23 am

didds wrote:If there is a suitable College of FE or uni nearby then dropping into the student union and putting up a notice may be an idea.

Looking on ebay these do sell - but not for a lot. I guess the thing is if they are not on a course reading list at uni etc then they may only be general interest (for want of a better term!) so libraries may be the only interested party then in reality.

Its the same issue with any unwanted book really - the chances of anyone being interested is actually very low unless it is a collectors item - how many copies of Harry potters do you see at boot sales for example still, forlornly waiting for the person that has never ever read any living in a house that doesnt already have a copy?

Having done a maths degree as a mature student, the three books I have are not really undergrad material which is why they are 'as new'. Complex Analysis was the one course subject which I struggled with I must say, although in the end passed, and I reckon I may have bought those books in the mistaken belief that they might have helped.

Some internet sites such as Abe Books will buy some books but even in the textbook section they show no interest in them. I will try a University Library.

Dod

Return to “Does anyone know?”