Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Bone conducting headphones?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
nowretired

Bone conducting headphones?

Postby nowretired » September 13th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Has anyone tried bone conducting headphones and do the really bypass the inner ear?

I am deaf in my left ear due to all the little hairs falling out so a normal hearing aid is no use.
I do hear something in my left ear using a hearing aid but it is so distorted as to be annoying.
Hearing people speaking on my left side is so distorted that I can't even make out what they are saying most times so I don't bother wearing my hearing aid.
If I wear headphones to listen to anything I just wear the right one and hear no external sounds.
This means that if I am also on the phone I cannot hear if my wife try's to speak to me.
So I thought I would try bone conducting headphones but I don't want to spend the money if they are not going to be any good for me.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bone conducting headphones?

Postby Urbandreamer » September 13th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Are you talking about bone conducting headphones or a bone conducting hearing aid.

Both exist and both work.
Indeed I think that the hearing aids came first. I distinctly remember as a young man, decades ago, being surprised to find that the hair band that the old lady I was talking to was a hearing aid. The comedian Sykes wore glasses with no lenses. His eyes were fine, but he was deaf. The glasses were a bone conducting hearing aid.

Bone conducting headphones have recently become popular with cyclists and joggers. They can listen to their music or talking book without the hazard of not hearing traffic. I used a pair in the house for a while because my wife complained that I was ignoring her while listening to talking books.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » September 13th, 2019, 9:51 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:I used a pair in the house for a while because my wife complained that I was ignoring her while listening to talking books.

you say that like that's a bad thing?

didds

PS caveat : depends on the wife concerned

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 14th, 2019, 4:04 am

nowretired wrote:Has anyone tried bone conducting headphones and do the really bypass the inner ear?

I am deaf in my left ear due to all the little hairs falling out so a normal hearing aid is no use.
I do hear something in my left ear using a hearing aid but it is so distorted as to be annoying.
Hearing people speaking on my left side is so distorted that I can't even make out what they are saying most times so I don't bother wearing my hearing aid.
If I wear headphones to listen to anything I just wear the right one and hear no external sounds.
This means that if I am also on the phone I cannot hear if my wife try's to speak to me.
So I thought I would try bone conducting headphones but I don't want to spend the money if they are not going to be any good for me.

Unfortunately I don't think they'll help you.
The bone conduction circumvents the outer ear, ear drum and middle ear; it conducts vibration to the inner ear.
It needs a working cochlea.

It would be worth getting your current hearing aid checked out

-sd

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » September 14th, 2019, 5:44 am

A colleague of mine was given a set as a present. He was not hard of hearing, his kids just thought he would like them, and he did. Very much.
I cannot recall the brand but he certainly was an advocate for them

nowretired

Postby nowretired » September 14th, 2019, 11:15 am

It would be worth getting your current hearing aid checked out

That has been done.
You can't hear what you can't hear.

Return to “Does anyone know?”