Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Santander Business Banking facility

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
tractorian
2 Lemon pips

Santander Business Banking facility

Postby tractorian » September 24th, 2019, 3:54 pm

I'm treasurer for our village allotment society. I logged onto the account recently to find that not only could I see the details of our current and deposit accounts, but also details of my personal account. As all members of the committee can login with the same password, etc, then surely they can also see my personal details.

I contacted Santander and they talked me through the procedure for hiding my personal account, but anyone with the know-how could reveal it again. Anyone know why make this information available on a shared account and why they do it by default? Anyone else been affected?.
Moderator Message:
Moved to DAK because it is not really investment related and will probably enjoy a wide (and hopefully helpful) audience here. - Chris

Jopo1
Lemon Pip

Re: Santander Business Banking facility

Postby Jopo1 » October 1st, 2019, 12:44 pm

That's quite worrying! I'm treasurer of the local PTA and I was planning to move the account to Santander, but as I have a personal account with them, perhaps I won't now!

By the way, I do think it is poor practice to have multiple people logging into a bank with the same log in details. There aren't many accounts that allow multiple log in details, so I woudl keep it to one person with log in details, and bank statements available to view any time required by committee members.

Jopo1

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » October 1st, 2019, 12:47 pm

Jopo1 wrote:That's quite worrying! I'm treasurer of the local PTA and I was planning to move the account to Santander, but as I have a personal account with them, perhaps I won't now!

By the way, I do think it is poor practice to have multiple people logging into a bank with the same log in details. There aren't many accounts that allow multiple log in details, so I woudl keep it to one person with log in details, and bank statements available to view any time required by committee members.

Jopo1

But there aren't multiple logins to this account - they are all sharing a single login according to the OP!

Watis

Jopo1
Lemon Pip

Postby Jopo1 » October 1st, 2019, 1:10 pm

Watis wrote:
But there aren't multiple logins to this account - they are all sharing a single login according to the OP!

Watis

That is what I said: multiple people logging into the account with the same log in details - that is poor practice. Only one person should have login details, unless the account provides for each individual to have their own (which most society/treasurer accounts don't allow, incl Santander)

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » October 1st, 2019, 1:29 pm

tractorian wrote:I'm treasurer for our village allotment society. I logged onto the account recently to find that not only could I see the details of our current and deposit accounts, but also details of my personal account. As all members of the committee can login with the same password, etc, then surely they can also see my personal details.

I contacted Santander and they talked me through the procedure for hiding my personal account, but anyone with the know-how could reveal it again. Anyone know why make this information available on a shared account and why they do it by default? Anyone else been affected?.

Simple answer - Don't share your login information.

1) It breaks the terms and conditions of your account.
2) It leaves you open to personal loss, and accusations of negligence if something went wrong, regardless of who's to blame.
3) It breaks the bank's security model

The bank's security model will be based on each individual having their own set of credentials (username/password/other security details).
which link to an individual record on their systems.
The "individual record" will then determine which accounts they have access to when they login online.

If you want to "share access" then get each member to apply for access in their own right, don't share your personal credentials!

PochiSoldi

Return to “Does anyone know?”