Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Double payment for goods - best thing to do?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Double payment for goods - best thing to do?

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 10th, 2019, 10:20 pm

Earlier this evening I was in a shop* in Reading and bought something for £19.99
I tried to pay contactless and it was refused, so lady at the till asked me to put card in and enter PIN, which I did (this is a MasterCard)
She told me the card was rejected (and turned till screen round so I could see it said rejected/declined? in red) so I paid by cash.
Checking my online statement tonight I can see a pending chip and pin payment for £19.99 ...

I have the receipt which shows cash paid £20, change £0.01 and also has "Card Declined" below with my card details etc.

What do I do next ? Phone Lloyds? Go back to the shop? Perhaps the 'pending' payment will disappear ??

cheers
AC
*They are a chain of discount shops (household/toiletries etc) not a dodgy backstreet outfit.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: Double payment for goods - best thing to do?

Postby richfool » October 10th, 2019, 11:13 pm

Noting you say the payment on your account is shown as "pending", it could be that it won't actually be applied to your account and will be automatically resolved. So I would suggest waiting a day or so to see what happens. If it is subsequently debited, then I would go back to store with your supporting documentation.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » October 11th, 2019, 7:15 am

Agree with the advice to wait. If it isn’t reversed, the easier starting point is your card provider. Just tell them that you don’t accept the payment. Assuming this was a credit card, your legal rights are fantastically strong.

If you aren’t aware of just how consumer friendly credit card protections are, search online “credit cards consumer credit act”. In the U.K., anyone who chooses not to use a credit card for payment, online or in-store needs their head examined (assuming they have the discipline and wherewithal to spend within their means and pay it off every month).

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 11th, 2019, 8:18 am

Spet0789 wrote:Agree with the advice to wait. If it isn’t reversed, the easier starting point is your card provider. Just tell them that you don’t accept the payment. Assuming this was a credit card, your legal rights are fantastically strong.

If you aren’t aware of just how consumer friendly credit card protections are, search online “credit cards consumer credit act”. In the U.K., anyone who chooses not to use a credit card for payment, online or in-store needs their head examined (assuming they have the discipline and wherewithal to spend within their means and pay it off every month).

Do these protections extend to debit cards?

John

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 11th, 2019, 10:43 am

Hopefully now fixed - the payment has disappeared from the pending list, and is not showing on the main statement

Odd that a declined chip&pin payment shows on a list titled "Pending credit card transactions:
These transactions have been authorised for payment but haven’t yet been charged to your account."

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 11th, 2019, 11:39 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:Hopefully now fixed - the payment has disappeared from the pending list, and is not showing on the main statement

Odd that a declined chip&pin payment shows on a list titled "Pending credit card transactions:
These transactions have been authorised for payment but haven’t yet been charged to your account."

I've seen those. When they appear, they could go either way as far as you can tell.

There is an understandable use case: the kind of situation where someone (like a hotel) wants to secure a future payment but leaves open the details, and the option to pay by a different method. But that doesn't even begin to explain your story.

DAK why that happens?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 11th, 2019, 12:26 pm

I'm paranoid now in case it reappears !
Will be checking my credit card statements extra carefully for the next few months (which I should be doing anyway...)

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » October 11th, 2019, 1:17 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Hopefully now fixed - the payment has disappeared from the pending list, and is not showing on the main statement

AC, the initial "pending" transaction is like a "ghost" transaction, held on your account so that your bank (well their computer system) will have an idea of your true balance when determining whether to allow other debit transactions on your account. Presumably corrections are then processed a bit later, or overnight, and in this case wiped off the pending debit.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 11th, 2019, 1:23 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:
I'm paranoid now in case it reappears!

Will be checking my credit card statements extra carefully for the next few months (which I should be doing anyway...)

Your card is very likely to have a phone number on it.

I'd just call them up, explain what's happened, including the appearance and disappearance of the other transaction, and ask them to help explain both what's happened, and what might still happen to the transaction.

If it's gone for good, they are very likely to be able to confirm that, so for what is likely to be a 10 minute call, it might be best just to wrap this up now rather than worry about it for months.

The last time I called the number on my card for similar reasons, I got through almost immediately and they were really helpful with the issue...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 11th, 2019, 1:56 pm

I will add to the things to do list, and probably never get round to it !

Return to “Does anyone know?”