Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Timetable for Saturday Parliamentary sitting?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Julian
Lemon Quarter

Timetable for Saturday Parliamentary sitting?

Postby Julian » October 18th, 2019, 9:52 am

Does anyone know the timings for tomorrow? I could only find start time (9:30am) and agenda on the official Parliamentary web site (https://calendar.parliament.uk/calendar ... 0/19/Daily).

I assume the vote is going to be at the end, maybe with other votes first on amendments if the main motion is amendable (is it?). What I'm interested in are any estimates of the time when the main vote results might be announced, or is it an open-ended session and it might end up going into the early hours of Sunday morning with no real ability to predict when it might get to the voting stage?

I'm sure it goes without saying that I do not want my question to trigger any political or economic debate. I simply want to find out any timing information that might help me schedule my day tomorrow so that I can be sure I am glued to a TV when the vote happens - if that vote time is indeed going to be even vaguely predictable.

- Julian

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Timetable for Saturday Parliamentary sitting?

Postby Julian » October 18th, 2019, 11:44 am

I found a bit more info on the Telegraph web site (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... eal-boris/). I actually didn't click on this before posting my question because I thought Telegraph articles were behind a paywall but trying just now I could read it just fine. The critical bits of info are ...

Parliament to sit from 9.30am until 2.30pm, for the first time since the Falklands crisis in 1982

AM: Boris Johnson to update MPs on the EU Council to the House of Commons.

PM: Government to move motions to approve Brexit deal in what will be termed Meaningful Vote 4. A second motion will be moved for a no-deal exit.

Remain MPs to table and vote on amendments likely to include a second referendum on the Government's motion.

If MPs vote against the deal, Boris Johnson has until 11pm to send a letter to the EU asking for a three-month delay to the UK leaving the EU.

From the sound of "Remain MPs to table and vote on amendments likely to include a second referendum on the Government's motion." it sounds as if it will be amendable.

Also "If MPs vote against the deal, Boris Johnson has until 11pm to send a letter to the EU asking for a three-month delay to the UK leaving the EU." would seem to create a hard stop that at least prevents proceedings spilling over into the early hours of Sunday morning even if it is decided (by the Speaker?) to allow more time past 2:30pm.

From piecing all that together it does look as if the proceedings will be reasonably short and contained, potentially (or forced to be?) all over by 2:30pm. I'm sure it's safe to assume that all votes will be at the end so I'm guessing that 1:30pm to 2:30pm will be when all the drama happens.

If anyone has any contrary or additional info please say so but it looks as if this Telegraph article has answered my questions leaving only a slight uncertainty as to whether the Speaker or others might be able to effect an ad-hoc extension past 2:30pm if considered necessary. I suppose there's also the possibility that things could wrap up early but I really don't see that happening!

Also, I suppose the 2:30pm could actually be the end of the sitting/debate and mark the start time for the voting which might not be considered formally part of the sitting.

OK, so maybe I'm still a bit unclear but at least narrowing it down to sometime in the afternoon for the votes I think.

- Julian
Last edited by Julian on October 18th, 2019, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » October 18th, 2019, 11:49 am

The outline timetable is shown on the order paper for the sitting.
As I understand it, normally any times shown are the earliest that something will happen.
Given that Parliament is sitting for one purpose only, the only time published will be Prayers and everything else will follow in sequence.

For the 19th see:
https://www.parliament.uk/business/publ ... h=9&day=19
(You can use the calendar function on this page to look at other dates if you book mark this link)

Also note that the order paper for the 19th refers to "BUSINESS TO BE TAKEN AT 2.30PM", Deferred Divisions, and Standing Order 41A(3).

This would seem to indicate that if a vote has not been taken by 2.30pm, a deferred division (aka a deferred vote) will not be permitted (not that anyone would have moved to defer the vote). (I could be wrong on that one, but I'm certain that any debate won't be guillotined.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » October 18th, 2019, 11:52 am

pochisoldi wrote:The outline timetable is shown on the order paper for the sitting.
As I understand it, normally any times shown are the earliest that something will happen.
Given that Parliament is sitting for one purpose only, the only time published will be Prayers and everything else will follow in sequence.

For the 19th see:
https://www.parliament.uk/business/publ ... h=9&day=19
(You can use the calendar function on this page to look at other dates if you book mark this link)

Also note that the order paper for the 19th refers to "BUSINESS TO BE TAKEN AT 2.30PM", Deferred Divisions, and Standing Order 41A(3).

This would seem to indicate that if a vote has not been taken by 2.30pm, a deferred division (aka a deferred vote) will not be permitted (not that anyone would have moved to defer the vote). (I could be wrong on that one, but I'm certain that any debate won't be guillotined.

Ah. Thanks. Our posts crossed but that's very helpful and in line with some of the nagging doubts that I was in the process of editing into my last post as you were posting your thoughts and info!

- Julian

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » October 18th, 2019, 1:08 pm

The speaker alone would not be able to extend the length of the sitting, but the house as a whole would. However, it is most likely that the house won't. If there are any votes they occur after the moment of interruption (2.30pm) and each take about 15 mins.

Return to “Does anyone know?”