Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Signing in to Google accounts - mulitple users

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Toandfro

Signing in to Google accounts - mulitple users

Postby Toandfro » October 23rd, 2019, 1:01 am

I operate a Google account on behalf of a group. Everyone in the group is permitted to log in, with the password, in order to access the Google Drive, Calendar etc.

However if it's a new member of the group signing in for the first time or if an existing member uses a computer not recognised by Google, their sign-in (even with correct password) may be blocked and a verification process may be initiated. Fair enough, but the mobile phone number which Google uses in that verification process is mine, and I may not be available to authenticate the log-in at the time it is needed.

Google has a small selection of verification methods but the only one which needn't involve me is the 'Secret Question' one. I can simply tell people in advance what the answer is.

So my question is: Can I ensure that the verification method used is by giving the answer to a secret question? Then I needn't be troubled with codes coming to my mobile phone.

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Signing in to Google accounts - mulitple users

Postby servodude » October 23rd, 2019, 5:39 am

Toandfro wrote:So my question is: Can I ensure that the verification method used is by giving the answer to a secret question? Then I needn't be troubled with codes coming to my mobile phone.

I do not think you can do this reliably

This is based on me just trying it with one of my accounts here, after connecting to a VPN and using incognito mode
There were a series of try another way links that seem to get quite circular
- I ended up at a request for when I created the account
- and a secret question I do not remember setting up ( I don't know how many are attached to the account)

This resulted in a "suspicious login email" being sent and action being required by "the real me"

I would not recommend this route.

What I would recommend is letting people log in with their own google account and sharing the calendar/drive with them
- if they don't have an account creating one is free and pretty trivial

This also gives you proper control over your information which could prove useful

Good luck
- sd

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » October 23rd, 2019, 6:49 am

Servodude's suggestion is the right solution. I am currently having a problem with a google calendar I am trying to share with my children and it does not update properly on everyone's devices. At the moment it looks like a bug in googles systems, but I don't know for certain yet.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » October 23rd, 2019, 10:19 am

I've used shared calendars for years - one Google account linked to my personal phone, another linked to my work phone, and a third linked to an account which was used to keep an oncall rota informed about who was on duty each week.

The way I had it setup was so that my personal account could see the other two, the work phone account could see the oncall account, and the oncall account was shared, but had nothing shared to it.

This meant that the oncall guys couldn't see any of my details, and my work phone account (to which my employer might have a right to access) couldn't access my personal stuff.

Toandfro

Postby Toandfro » November 3rd, 2019, 9:18 am

letting people log in with their own google account and sharing the calendar/drive with them

Thanks. I've tried this but there are two issues:
1/ Not everyone has a Google account of their own.
2/ The calendar in my 'joint' account doesn't actually contain anything of its own but is merely a gathering place for a consolidated view of about 20 other calendars which have been shared to it. Sharing this one calendar doesn't pass on all the details of the other source calendars.

My underlying requirement is to provide all people in my group with a convenient way of viewing the overall picture of activities from about 20 other sources, each with their own calendar. And it has to be simple, because many of those users are not very tech-savvy.

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » November 6th, 2019, 1:59 pm

Toandfro wrote:
letting people log in with their own google account and sharing the calendar/drive with them

2/ The calendar in my 'joint' account doesn't actually contain anything of its own but is merely a gathering place for a consolidated view of about 20 other calendars which have been shared to it. Sharing this one calendar doesn't pass on all the details of the other source calendars.

My underlying requirement is to provide all people in my group with a convenient way of viewing the overall picture of activities from about 20 other sources, each with their own calendar. And it has to be simple, because many of those users are not very tech-savvy.

Possibly I've misunderstood the complexity of what you are looking for, but if your key requirement is to allow people to view your google (aggregated) calendar, and you are looking for an easy, although not elegant, solution, then why not publish/embed it in a website where either you make use of a very complex subdirectory name to make it hard to find and is also hidden from bots, or alternatively has a subdirectory that requires some kind of password for entry (although I must admit I haven't seen 'vanilla' password-protected directories for years)?

HTH

torata

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 6th, 2019, 10:19 pm

torata wrote:
Toandfro wrote:

Possibly I've misunderstood the complexity of what you are looking for, but if your key requirement is to allow people to view your google (aggregated) calendar, and you are looking for an easy, although not elegant, solution, then why not publish/embed it in a website where either you make use of a very complex subdirectory name to make it hard to find and is also hidden from bots, or alternatively has a subdirectory that requires some kind of password for entry (although I must admit I haven't seen 'vanilla' password-protected directories for years)?

HTH

torata

if making the calendar "public" is an option if so you can do so via the "Calendar Settings"

access this as "Settings and sharing" via the "options" that are shown when you hover near where the calendar is listed in "My Calendars"
- it appears when the mouse is to the right of the field that shows the calendar name

in there there should be:
- an "Access Permissions" section that offers the option to "Make available to the public"
- an "Integrate Calendar" section that contains the public URL to the calendar

once "Make available to the public" is selected the public URL will provide access for anyone to via the public URL

though it might be that is what you've already tried given your comment
"sharing this one calendar doesn't pass on all the details of the other source calendars"?
- perhaps it's possible to consolidate the information in to an "overview" calendar: https://www.lifewire.com/copy-or-move-a ... ar-1172181

- sd

Return to “Does anyone know?”