Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Taking a rental car over to France/Belgium

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Toandfro

Taking a rental car over to France/Belgium

Postby Toandfro » November 3rd, 2019, 9:23 am

I'll be back in the in the UK for a few weeks and will need to hire a car. While I'm there I'd like to do a side trip over to France/Belgium and take the car (there will be 3 of us, so it's the covenient option).

How easy is it to arrange with rental companies to be permitted to take the car over to the Continent? (I expect to use Eurotunnel but may consider a ferry).

TIA

seagles
Lemon Slice

Re: Taking a rental car over to France/Belgium

Postby seagles » November 3rd, 2019, 10:04 am

Check the rental companies web site

Here is Hertz take and charges

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » November 3rd, 2019, 12:06 pm

When our friends lived close to Newhaven we used to go over to France for the weekend as foot passengers and rent a car over there. It was cheaper than taking a car over and one of the major supermarkets used to do car rental.

R6

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 4th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:When our friends lived close to Newhaven we used to go over to France for the weekend as foot passengers and rent a car over there. It was cheaper than taking a car over and one of the major supermarkets used to do car rental.

R6

We found this too. Cheaper crossing, cheaper car hire at the UK end as it is for fewer days, the EU car hire was more than covered by the savings on te other 2.

Paul

Toandfro

Postby Toandfro » November 13th, 2019, 11:58 pm

Just for everyone's info, Europcar allow the car to be taken over, on payment of a daily extra charge. I suspect the other main international agencies do the same but the info was hard to find and I had to ask the firm directly. I twin-pronged them with an email and a live chat to ensure I was getting a consistent answer :-)

For me the extra convenience of having the same car on both sides of the channel and not having to muck around with extra drop-offs, pickups, and transit with luggage is worth it.

Eurotunnel's pricing is per vehicle, not per person, so the fare was little different to the ferry for 3 of us.

Return to “Does anyone know?”