Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Scottish Independence

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
richlist
Lemon Quarter

Scottish Independence

Postby richlist » November 4th, 2019, 7:26 pm

If Scotland votes for independence......I know the Prime Minister has said he will not permit another vote......does anyone know how Scotland will deal with
* Defence......currently it all belongs to the Union. Will the remaining Union pay for Scotland's defence ?
* Health......Scotland will no longer be included in the NHS. Will we get lots of Scots travelling across the border for free treatment ?
* Assets.....Will Scotland be expected to pay to acquire assets from the Union.

I find the question of independence very complicated. If independence affects the rest of us, shouldn't we all have a vote on it ?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Scottish Independence

Postby Dod101 » November 4th, 2019, 7:52 pm

richlist wrote:If Scotland votes for independence......I know the Prime Minister has said he will not permit another vote......does anyone know how Scotland will deal with
* Defence......currently it all belongs to the Union. Will the remaining Union pay for Scotland's defence ?
* Health......Scotland will no longer be included in the NHS. Will we get lots of Scots travelling across the border for free treatment ?
* Assets.....Will Scotland be expected to pay to acquire assets from the Union.

I find the question of independence very complicated. If independence affects the rest of us, shouldn't we all have a vote on it ?

Why on earth would what would be left of the Union pay for an independent Scotland's defence?

The NHS is a devolved matter anyway and it will simply be a matter of Scotland paying for it itself, so it would not be a matter of Scotland being included in the NHS. It would have its own NHS.

I do not know what assets you mean but obviously there would need to be some financial settlement.

Somebody would have to pay for the erection of customs posts along the Scottish/English border, maybe Nicola's mates in Brussels will help out there.

I was born in Scotland and am much too old to move over the Border now I guess and am resolutely against independence.

Dod

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 4th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Dod101 wrote:I was born in Scotland and am much too old to move over the Border now I guess and am resolutely against independence.

Me too, but in the current climate I find myself in a position where the most sensible tactical vote for me is for SNP.

Scott.

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » November 4th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Me too, but in the current climate I find myself in a position where the most sensible tactical vote for me is for SNP.

How will you feel if, as a result, the SNP wins in Scotland, Boris changes his mind and the majority votes for Independence?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 4th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Laughton wrote:How will you feel if, as a result, the SNP wins in Scotland, Boris changes his mind and the majority votes for Independence?

Well I've thought for a long time that nothing good is going to happen in the foreseeable, so it's down to the least bad of about five evils...

Scott.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 4th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Moderator Message:
This is not really a DAK type question. I will lock this thread. I could move it to Polite Discussions if asked by the OP

Return to “Does anyone know?”