Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

post hip replacement ID card for sirport security

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
didds
Lemon Half

post hip replacement ID card for sirport security

Postby didds » December 19th, 2019, 9:37 am

I had a hip replacement in december 2012 (in fact - as it turns out - 7 years to the day today!). ISTR something about getting a ID card thing to show at airport secuity for when the scanners "find" metal in your body.

I never bothered but am wonderign if it may be worthwhile after all.

So I have 2 questios

1) where wold I get one (google hasnt ascenbtained anything from my search terms)
2) how do they "work"? Surely showing some airport secuity chap(pess) a bit of paper isnt going to alleviate their security checks and "concerns" that they still have to do? After all, they cant just wave you through - as any real bomber would do exactly that ie get hold of a card!

didds

wydffa

Re: post hip replacement ID card for sirport security

Postby wydffa » December 19th, 2019, 11:08 am

I have a metal strip in my shin and get stopped every time at UK airports and have to take my shoes off. I don't bother explaining anymore but wait to see if I am asked. I have never had to remove my trousers or even to show the scar, as far as I recall. Apart from the children crying the first time they saw me stopped it has not been a problem.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 19th, 2019, 11:21 am

I wouldn't bother. I have had two hip replacements, one in September 2012 and the other more recently. I have had two long trips in the last couple of years and am about to embark on another. Art from the fact that security measures seem to vary hugely at different airports, I have never had any trouble when the alarm goes off. Once I have emptied my pockets and had a body scan (at some airports; some just took my word for it that it was a hip replacement) I was on my way.

I think any sensible security guy would ignore a printed card and just go through his routine.

Dod

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » December 19th, 2019, 11:38 am

That's pretty much my take on nit too Dod. Each time I go through the scanner goes beep and Im asked to step aside. I explain about my hip. They ignore that iunfo and ask me to empty my pockets etc. I tell thyem I already have. They hand wand check me. My hip goes beep. they ask permission to search under the waist band. they find nothing. they ask again if Ive anything in my pockets - I turn them inside out "elephant ears" sttyle. they hand wand search me again. my hip goes beep.

they give up and send me on my way.
I fail to see how carrying a piece of card would mean they wouldnt still do that for obviuous reasons :-)

didds

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » December 19th, 2019, 11:52 am

If you have a choice, you might want to use a queue which has a full body scanner. (in my experience in the UK, not every security queue has one).
That way, the process goes something like. Walk through the metal detector - BEEP - go through the body scanner - collect belongings.

If anyone complains about you insisting on joining a scanner crew, simply tell the crowd herder that you have an artificial hip joint which will set off the metal detector.

PS - even if they turn the sensitivity down on the metal detector arch, the arch will still randomly beep so that the pat down team get some practice and provide another opportunity to catch "unknown unknowns".

BTW a body scanner looks like this: https://www.sds.l3t.com/images/products ... 5-2017.jpg

Sobraon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Sobraon » December 19th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Daughter has one of the cards for an implanted continually active electronic device. Senior nurse at the hospital provided it on request and it came through the post. The implant device manufacturer current guidance explicitly warns against going through airport scanners. Process works OK overseas but evokes an aggressive reaction from UK airport security staff ( Manchester and Stansted seem worse).

Both Manchester and Stansted security staff have subjected her to strip searches in the past (yes this is both the front line staff and first line management). The first time this happened she was told that they could see that her bra and pants didn't have wires in them so she could keep them on (she says she never wears a bra with any form of 'boning' now when travelling). Limbs are scanned using a hand held device and swabs are taken for analysis.

Luckily as she has 'learnt' the rules to interact with the security staff the number of UK strip searches has reduced (never has happened overseas). Possible reason for Manchester and Stansted being worse is that the rules/guidance/management of the security function at the two airports are linked - possibly the same sub-contractor?

Welcome to Britain!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 19th, 2019, 12:55 pm

I have no problem with security staff being fussy but I don't like aggression which I occasionally get. Luckily a hip replacement is inert so there is nothing electronic to be harmed or otherwise. I have certainly been through the bodyscanner that pochisoldi refers to and of course the hand held wands as well as the 'pat down'. None of it is any real problem, just leave a bit more time at busy periods.

Dod

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » December 26th, 2019, 9:47 am

Sobraon wrote:Possible reason for Manchester and Stansted being worse is that the rules/guidance/management of the security function at the two airports are linked - possibly the same sub-contractor?

Manchester Airports Group (MAG) own both airports as well as East Midlands.

Return to “Does anyone know?”