Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Smart Meters - E.on says I have to have one

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Re: Smart Meters - E.on says I have to have one

Postby EssDeeAitch » January 7th, 2020, 7:47 pm

I was asked by my supplier, Pure Planet if I would like a smart meter. As it is a SMETS2 version I agreed and it was installed today (on time with plenty of reminders and chances to cancel or postpone).

Now I must finish this post as I have to stare at the meter showing me how much money I am spending on utilities :shock:

My understanding is that there is no compulsion to have a smart meter and Pure Planet never suggested that there was one.

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » January 10th, 2020, 2:09 pm

pochisoldi wrote:Having reviewed a recent switch to Eon, the words used were along the lines of "you agree that Eon may contact you regarding the installation of a smart meter".

In other words, the condition has nothing to do with "smart meter enforcement", it is more to do with GDPR - you have agreed to let them contact you regarding a smart meter.

The upshot of this is that you don't have to change your metering arrangements, but you do have to put up with them asking you if you want to.

PochiSoldi

That is helpful, thanks. They actually called me last night, I put them off but no doubt they'll call again and if so I'll say that unless I am contractually obliged to have it done I'd prefer not to at the moment.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 10th, 2020, 2:13 pm

Fluke wrote:
pochisoldi wrote:
Having reviewed a recent switch to Eon, the words used were along the lines of "you agree that Eon may contact you regarding the installation of a smart meter".

In other words, the condition has nothing to do with "smart meter enforcement", it is more to do with GDPR - you have agreed to let them contact you regarding a smart meter.

The upshot of this is that you don't have to change your metering arrangements, but you do have to put up with them asking you if you want to.

That is helpful, thanks.

They actually called me last night, I put them off but no doubt they'll call again and if so I'll say that unless I am contractually obliged to have it done I'd prefer not to at the moment.

I wouldn't mention the possibility of contractual obligations at all....

Don't give them any avenue whatsoever via which they could influence your decision, other than perhaps if they themselves start to discuss them, and even only then if they are clear that your only way out of such an obligation would be to change tariff or change supplier.

At that point you've got a decision to make, but it doesn't sound like you're at that point just yet...

Don't make it easy for them...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess (putting off smart-meter callers since... etc....)

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » January 10th, 2020, 2:21 pm

EssDeeAitch wrote:I was asked by my supplier, Pure Planet if I would like a smart meter. As it is a SMETS2 version I agreed and it was installed today (on time with plenty of reminders and chances to cancel or postpone).

Now I must finish this post as I have to stare at the meter showing me how much money I am spending on utilities :shock:

My understanding is that there is no compulsion to have a smart meter and Pure Planet never suggested that there was one.

Yes Eon told me it would be a SMET2 and that there would be no problem porting from one supplier to another. If they come round here waving a shiny new gadget at me I might succumb, I must resist!

PrefInvestor
Lemon Slice

Postby PrefInvestor » January 11th, 2020, 1:09 pm

Well up until recently I was with Bulb for my gas and electricity supply. But on doing a comparison and confirming the numbers on my own spreadsheet I decided to switch to EDF, as I estimated I could save £150 a year. I have been with EDF a number of times in the past and I have always been very happy with them, but more fool me, largely because of that I omitted to read the Terms and Conditions in detail. Soon after completing my switch I got an email telling me that I had agreed to having a smart meter and that I should make an appointment to have one installed. On reading the Ts and Cs I found the following wording:-

If you do not have a smart meter installed within 3 months of being supplied on the Simply Online tariff your contract will come to an end and you will be charged an early exit fee of £35 per fuel. We will then continue to supply you on our deemed contract scheme until:-
- you enter into a new contract with us (in which case we will cancel your exit fee) or
- you change supplier.
Our deemed contract scheme has a different price to our Simply Online tariff. You can find details at edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/r505_deemed_rate_card.pdf

When I calculated my energy costs if I went onto their deemed tariff they were almost double what I estimate for the tariff I actually switched to.

Reading around it sounds like all of the Big 6 Suppliers are likely doing this now, so be very careful to check the Ts and Cs if/when you switch if this concerns you.

In practice its just a minor inconvenience for me really, I shall just leave things as they are for about a month and then switch to some other non-big six supplier who wont insist on me having a smart meter. I will have to pay the exit fees but thats just my own fault really for not reading the Ts and Cs as I should have.

I am wary about having a smart meter ATM because I have solar panels and I have been told (and have read) that people have had significant problems with their bills if they have a smart meter installed. I accept that I will HAVE to have one eventually (I suspect the tariff issue that I have fallen foul of already will force everyone to do this eventually). I just dont want to be an early adopter.

ATB

Pref

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » January 11th, 2020, 2:47 pm

pochisoldi wrote:Having reviewed a recent switch to Eon, the words used were along the lines of "you agree that Eon may contact you regarding the installation of a smart meter".

PochiSoldi

Having said all that not more than 4 days ago...

Just received a text message:
"Hi, it's E.ON. When you signed up to your energy tariff you agreed to have a smart meter fitted. We re now ready to come and fit the latest SMETS 2 smart meter. You'll soon receive a text from 07507309513 to arrange an appointment. For more info about smart meters go to www.eonenergy.com/smartsms"

Given what I've already said, I don't see any reason why I can't string them along for a few months.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 13th, 2020, 4:32 pm

pochisoldi wrote:
Given what I've already said, I don't see any reason why I can't string them along for a few months.

One presumes they would need to be flexible enough to accomdate people that leave for work at 0530 and do not get home until 2100, need to sleep prertty much inbetween because of that timing, and are often away at weekends.

for example.

didds

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » January 13th, 2020, 6:24 pm

Does anyone know if having a smart meter would stop the White Meter tarriff working (its like Economy Seven, but for 9 hours in a block overnight) No-one in the industry seems to have heard of it, so I don't trust them to honour it.

Return to “Does anyone know?”