Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

M&S Bank number

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
eepee
Lemon Slice

M&S Bank number

Postby eepee » January 4th, 2020, 9:54 am

Having had a three day run-around and getting nowhere, my OH wants to go to a 'real' branch to attempt to sort things out.

However the nearest branch (to Stoke) is in Handforth which is about 20-odd miles away.

Wanting to make sure there was someone one could see, she decided to phone beforehand.

It would appear that the local 0161 telephone number is in -------- Manila!!!!

Does anyone have or know how to get a real local number for the Handforth branch?

Much obliged.

Regards,
ep

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: M&S Bank number

Postby Itsallaguess » January 4th, 2020, 10:04 am

eepee wrote:
Does anyone have or know how to get a real local number for the Handforth branch?

Marks & Spencer,
Coppice Way,
Handforth,
Wilmslow,
SK9 3PB

Telephone number - 01614 858292

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » January 4th, 2020, 10:12 am

Thank you very much for:-

Giving me the Manila number!!!!!

I am sorry if my respsonse is somewhat cynical, especially since I did not make it clear that THAT was the number we were phoning.

It's just that after three days of being locked out online, chats, calls, use the app, etc. etc., this is not a happy household.

M&S are seriously abysmal.

Regards,
ep

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 4th, 2020, 11:58 am

eepee wrote:M&S are seriously abysmal.

I'd direct that comment at HSBC.

Have you tried Live Chat or My Messages to ask your question?:

https://bank.marksandspencer.com/explore/contact-us/

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » January 4th, 2020, 2:28 pm

When they switched to the "new" secure login I updated my Mobile app with no problem. This gave me the option to "Generate a security code". When I went to update login on my Laptop the "computer said no". This lead me to call them on 0345 900 0900. After nearly an hour they admitted it was a "bug" in the software. As of today still no access but "live chat" told me to send message to them , pointed out that if I could login online I would not need to send a message. However, did find 0345 900 0900 very good and based in England. Try them they maybe a good choice.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 4th, 2020, 5:21 pm

seagles wrote:[However, did find 0345 900 0900 very good and based in England. Try them they maybe a good choice.

Internet Banking help: 0800 363 459 or Customer Services/Complaints: 0345 600 5860 are also available from the link I provided in the reply before yours. Lines are open 24 hours.

We don't, of course, know what the OP's issue is. I don't think it is by any chance linked with the well publicised HSBC outage just before Christmas but it was down on 19 December https://downdetector.co.uk/status/ms-bank/news/283048-problems-at-ms-bank/.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 5th, 2020, 8:19 am

eepee wrote:It would appear that the local 0161 telephone number is in -------- Manila!!!!
ep

A phone number isn't anywhere. The person answering it is - though that may vary from day to day, or even more quickly for someone on the move.

In the case of an institutional phone number, it could be a call centre, or it could be routed to whatever M&S employee or contractor happens to be available to take your call. How is their physical location (at that moment) relevant to their job?

The underlying problem appears to be that you are expecting face-to-face contact, but have an account that operates without it. If the bank claims to offer it then they're failing. A number that gets answered in the UK - even in a specific location - won't help with that if there isn't the process for entering an appointment to see you in someone's diary.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 6th, 2020, 9:31 am

M&S etc are not alone in this .

some while ago my wife had occassion to call our local Lloyd's Branch but coud of course only find a central call handling centre.
~
No matter madam assured the young man in the call centre. we can answer anything yor lcoal branch can.

My wife politely requested again the number of the local branch. he repeated his mantra.
~
"Okay" said Mrs Diids, "as you can answer anything my local branch can, did we leave my daughter's hat in the branch this morning?".

didds

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » January 6th, 2020, 1:54 pm

Itsallaguess: Sorry for the flippant answer to your willingness to help but I was feeling rather glum.

Anyway soon after the response we decided to drive up - the weather was nice for a day out!

The situation is that just before Xmas, she tried to transfer some money out and failed. No big deal, not urgent.

Then after the break she tried again. This time she persisted. She failed and having tried over five times was locked out of the account! Telephone calls, chat lines etc. did not result in a solution other than to confirm that the keypad would no longer work.

So Catch 22. In the local M&S there is a bank which turns out to be a money exchange and not much else but "you can talk to banking using that telephone in the corner". Oh no we couldn't - the phone buzzed but not much else.

So we decided to go to Handforth - let's check on the number given on the address page to confirm that it is a manned bank. Turns out the number promptly connects you to - Manila where they deal with credit card problems. The fact that we do not have a credit card with M&S and do not want one and never mentioned credit cards is probably good reason for them to note that we do have a credit card problem!

So Handforth it was.
"Did you bring the keypad?"
"No it no longer works."
"Oh! We need it to link the existing account to the security uppity, uppity that we are in the process of implementing. Never mind. Have you got the app?"
"No. We have no use for the app."
"Oh!"

In the end she relented. But the app did not appear in the PlayStore which is apparently the only download site for it. They then tried with my phone same result. Took them over half an hour to discover on their site that the phones (both Galaxy Note 2) are too old for their 'with it' app! They were too polite to say so but we could see what the three of them (yes three) were thinking - how can these cretins exist with mobile phones that only make and receive calls, message, WhatsApp and occasional browsing??

So after over an hour, it all got sorted. It turns out that they could do the money transfer after all. It turns out that they could do the security uppity although she is now waiting for a new password and another electronic junky-bit.

The irony is that this account is part of her love for switching accounts for the perceived freebies. Given the coupons and the interest rate (if you jump through the account hoops) the gain is approaching 4% over the year. If instead the money had been used to buy shares in M&S that would return above 5% for no work.

That's enough though. I won't cover another M&S experience that happened just before Xmas. If you feel this is not a valid thread response, by all means have it removed. Alternatively have it transferred to the Grumpies Board.

Regards to all,
ep

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 6th, 2020, 2:00 pm

eepee wrote: I won't cover another M&S experience that happened just before Xmas.
ep

Oh go on - please!

didds

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » January 6th, 2020, 7:28 pm

Are you trying to get me banned?? :o)

Not as much fun as my previous - just incredulity!

Went to Manchester to 'see the lights'.

Needed to eat so we went to M&S. Very busy. Staff member channelling us plebs to the next empty till at which to place the order.

Eventually found a table, sat and waited amid a tray with dirty dishes.

Food arrived. She supported her tray with the edge of the table and her leg. Then looped our plates over the dirty dishes and left.

In disbelief we observed. Anybody that served at the tables returned with an empty tray even though there were customers everywhere stacking dirty dishes to make room. I guess the servers are of a higher social standing than the dish collectors, none of which were observed whilst we were there.

At one point a staff member helped a customer with mobility problems to a table and left empty-handed even though we could clearly see a tray stacked up with dirty dishes on that table. Must have been a manager cause it was the department MAN. Probably even higher pecking order.

Guess M&S are 'gud with fud' but duds with service.

Regards,
ep

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 6th, 2020, 11:22 pm

eepee wrote:Are you trying to get me banned?? :o)

You'll be very welcome on the grumps board ;)
Needed to eat so we went to M&S.

Glutton for punishment.
In disbelief we observed.
ep

Might as well have been in Wetherspoons. :?

Return to “Does anyone know?”