Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Adverts on TLF

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
panamagold
Lemon Slice

Adverts on TLF

Postby panamagold » January 1st, 2017, 9:38 pm

Following a recommendation, by swill453, to a poster on another board I insalled Sandboxie on my laptop a couple of days ago.

Now when I use ffox via Sandboxie on TLF I have ads on all pages. Prior to the installation I received no ads. I must make it clear that I do not object as they are not (yet) intrusive.

However, if at all possible and to generate income for stooz and clariman is it necessary and safe for me to click on these adverts to activate a click-thru and by doing so will this create funds for the site.

If necessary its not beyond the realms of possibility for me to spend an hour a day using my fingers (years of practice :oops:) to click away in the hope of earning a crust for our founding fathers. This is a serious query.

Thanks for reading.

stooz
Site Admin

Re: Adverts on TLF

Postby stooz » January 2nd, 2017, 12:22 pm

The only official ads are one at the top and one at the bottom. Any others may be generated by the browser. It's not one I've heard of.

In terms of clicking, grateful that we are, just click if you feel it is of interest. Clicking and leaving actually won't generate revenue as Google are smart enough to deem the click not worthy for the advertiser.

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » January 2nd, 2017, 2:37 pm

In response to this thread, I've just disabled FF Adblock Plus and now see the two adverts.
Would it help a little if everyone did this ?

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » January 2nd, 2017, 2:57 pm

Sussexlad wrote:In response to this thread, I've just disabled FF Adblock Plus and now see the two adverts.<br abp="587">Would it help a little if everyone did this ?

I'm not keen to disable Adblock plus generally but would be happy to do so just for TLF. Is it possible to allow ads on TLF but not on other sites?
If so can someone advise how?

(I'm not good with such stuff)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 2nd, 2017, 3:13 pm

sg31 wrote:
Sussexlad wrote:In response to this thread, I've just disabled FF Adblock Plus and now see the two adverts.<br abp="587">Would it help a little if everyone did this ?

I'm not keen to disable Adblock plus generally but would be happy to do so just for TLF. Is it possible to allow ads on TLF but not on other sites?
If so can someone advise how?

(I'm not good with such stuff)

If you look top left on your toolbar, you should see an octagon with ABP, click that and then a drop down menu will appear. Click as appropriate.

John

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » January 2nd, 2017, 4:19 pm

redsturgeon wrote:If you look top left on your toolbar, you should see an octagon with ABP, click that and then a drop down menu will appear. Click as appropriate.John

Ok, on my toolbar it's actually a shield 1/2 black and 1/2 white. The dropdown gives me the choice to shut off adblocker for this session.

Now if I open ffox in Sandboxie (it is the free edition) I see a French ad for Adobe. If I open ffox without diverting through Sandboxie I see an English ad from Energy & Capital.

Can I therfore assume the French ads are courtesy of my using Sanboxie (ads because it is the free version) and of no relevance to TLF and the English ads are specific to TLF.

Biggles
2 Lemon pips

Postby Biggles » January 2nd, 2017, 4:52 pm

I use Chrome and can see no adverts on TLF at all. No adblocker or sandboxie (whatever that is) in use.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 2nd, 2017, 4:59 pm

Biggles wrote:I use Chrome and can see no adverts on TLF at all. No adblocker or sandboxie (whatever that is) in use.

Nothing between the blue header and the red "forum rules" bar?

I use chrome and when I switched off adblocker for this site I get banner ads that change when I change screens. Nothing too obtrusive though.

John

Devjon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Devjon » January 2nd, 2017, 5:29 pm

This reminded me that I'd got an ad blocker running so I've just disabled Ublock for the Lemon Fool Site.

Biggles
2 Lemon pips

Postby Biggles » January 3rd, 2017, 9:13 am

redsturgeon wrote:Nothing between the blue header and the red "forum rules" bar?

Nope. Maybe Avira aunty virus is doing something I don't know about, but it doesn't prevent ads on other sites.

Return to “Does anyone know?”