Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

UK / EU Deficit

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Re: UK / EU Deficit

Postby SalvorHardin » January 31st, 2020, 7:06 pm

Snorvey wrote:Another simplistic question from me I'm afraid....

It was on the news earlier that the UK's trade deficit in goods is close to 100 billion quid.

Surely that's £100 billion of stuff we can (mostly) do for ourselves?

In theory quite a lot of it. Some things are very difficult (e.g. oranges) or impossible (e.g. purchases made whilst on holiday in Greece) whilst many other things are much more expensive for us to produce due to various factors (lack of skills, fewer economies of scale, climate, etc.).

Also consumers' preferences for some imports (e.g German cars) may be very hard to overcome, even when we can make substitutes.

This is why it's often more efficient to import goods than make them yourselves. However, changes post-Brexit may make it more efficient to produce some goods here, or at least acceptable substitutes.

This will have an interesting effect on GDP. That's because imports reduce GDP (one of the more stupid parts of the GDP calculation). So if we then produce the same stuff at a similar cost we add that to our GDP so it gets double counted. Of course doing so is likely to reduce GDP elsewhere (by taking resources to produce these substitutes).

IMHO GDP is a horribly flawed measure of our economy. Politicians love it though.
Last edited by SalvorHardin on January 31st, 2020, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » January 31st, 2020, 7:09 pm

It was on the news earlier that the UK's trade deficit in goods is close to 100 billion quid.

My trade deficit with my barber is about £20 per month. Is that a bad thing? Do I want to reduce it to zero? So it is with trade.

And as an aside, would Barbrexit help either of us? If I want him to cut my hair, we each have to fill in a form. Non-Tariff Barriers in action.

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » January 31st, 2020, 8:25 pm

Spet0789 wrote:My trade deficit with my barber is about £20 per month. Is that a bad thing?

As with most answers; it depends.

What can you provide to your barber. Perhaps you are a baker and can provide him with £20 per month worth of bread, in which case you won't have a deficit. If you can supply him with £25 of bread you have a surplus.

If you can't trade with him you have a choice. Accept the deficit or grow your hair long.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » January 31st, 2020, 8:33 pm

Spet0789 wrote:

My trade deficit with my barber is about £20 per month. Is that a bad thing? Do I want to reduce it to zero? So it is with trade.

And as an aside, would Barbrexit help either of us? If I want him to cut my hair, we each have to fill in a form. Non-Tariff Barriers in action.

Ah but that's a services based deficit, which goes to show how irrelevant the figures used in the question are for the UK economy...

In 2018, the service industries accounted for 81% of total UK economic output (Gross Value Added). Services accounted for 84% of workforce jobs in September 2019.

- https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk ... ry/SN02786

Return to “Does anyone know?”