Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Sinn Fein...

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Sinn Fein...

Postby swill453 » February 11th, 2020, 5:23 pm

I would have thought the communist party (still) contest a few elections around the world.

Scott.

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » February 11th, 2020, 5:36 pm

Snorvey wrote:....stand for General Elections in 2 countries (the UK and Eire / Ireland / the Island of Ireland or whatever it's called this week).

Are they the only political party to do this?

I could look this up, but this takes longer and I've still got 2 hours to kill before home time

Fianna Fáil (Ireland) and the SDLP (Northern Irland) have been going through a will-they/wont-they get together merger/link-up type thing for the last few years. I imagine this weeks results will give them the final shove they need to get it done.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 12th, 2020, 3:44 pm

Heard some newly-elected Irish MP from a small party on t'wireless yesterday. I think he said his party does the same. They regard the island of Ireland as one country and want to be a party for their whole country.

If I were looking for similar cases around the world, maybe look to countries with separatist provinces, or with provinces that have strong affiliations with a neighbour. But I'm not going to speculate on examples.

Talking of Sinn Fein, I wonder if their recent success might influence the north against unification, by making NI moderates feel slightly threatened?

Return to “Does anyone know?”