Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Amazon order to Germany

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Amazon order to Germany

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 24th, 2020, 7:09 pm

If I want to buy a present for a German friend on Amazon, can I order on Amazon UK and add a foreign delivery address, or will I need to go to Amazon Germany to order (assuming my login works)?
I know a gift card would be easier, but I want the actual present to turn up :-)

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Re: Amazon order to Germany

Postby GrahamPlatt » May 24th, 2020, 7:12 pm

Works with Amazon.co.uk to Germany normally (in fact as you place your order, if it’s not deliverable to that country, it’ll tell you). You’d need a different registration/login for Amazon.de

By “that country”, I mean any particular country. As for Germany, it works - I’ve done it.
Although, having said that, it may also depend on the ultimate vendor.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 24th, 2020, 7:16 pm

Vielen Dank GP, I will give it a go should the need arise, good to know it will work

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 25th, 2020, 8:29 am

GrahamPlatt wrote:Works with Amazon.co.uk to Germany normally (in fact as you place your order, if it’s not deliverable to that country, it’ll tell you). You’d need a different registration/login for Amazon.de

By “that country”, I mean any particular country. As for Germany, it works - I’ve done it.
Although, having said that, it may also depend on the ultimate vendor.

I'm not aware of ever having needed a separate login/password. I've bought stuff from Amazon in UK, France, Italy, USA for many years. I think once from Germany as well, though it may have been Italy since the Germans sell a lot there.

I could have kicked myself when I realised all this many years ago. I'd been posting Christmas presents to relatives in California for many years, switched to using Amazon.co.uk with high delivery, and one day decided to try Amazon.com. No problem whatsoever. Being the USA of course, they received the package pretty much instantly.

Steve

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » May 25th, 2020, 8:50 am

I said that because some time (years) ago, I tried to log in to Amazon.fr using my .co.uk details, which failed. So I just registered with different login credentials & now have an account there as well. But, to test your theory, I have just been to Amazon.de and used my .co.uk login - which worked! So either I did something wrong with my attempts to log in to .fr, or things have changed. Whatever, you’re right.

But delivery does depend on the vendor. On one occasion I wanted to buy a paperback version of Watership Down in Flemish, to be delivered to Belgium. Only copy I could find was in the Netherlands.... refused delivery to Belgium!

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 25th, 2020, 10:16 am

GrahamPlatt wrote:I said that because some time (years) ago, I tried to log in to Amazon.fr using my .co.uk details, which failed. So I just registered with different login credentials & now have an account there as well. But, to test your theory, I have just been to Amazon.de and used my .co.uk login - which worked! So either I did something wrong with my attempts to log in to .fr, or things have changed. Whatever, you’re right.

But delivery does depend on the vendor. On one occasion I wanted to buy a paperback version of Watership Down in Flemish, to be delivered to Belgium. Only copy I could find was in the Netherlands.... refused delivery to Belgium!

Hmm, wonder if something to do with the famous Flemish-Walloon politics?

I used to buy stuff from Ebay.co.uk to have sent to me in Italy and was amazed at how many sellers refused to include Italy. Most times however, a simple explanatory email worked and they sent the item. I was also lucky in living in a town where we never had a problem with post. Colleagues in other towns gave up after a few years. So much was going missing!

Steve

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » May 25th, 2020, 12:22 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:If I want to buy a present for a German friend on Amazon, can I order on Amazon UK and add a foreign delivery address, or will I need to go to Amazon Germany to order (assuming my login works)?
I know a gift card would be easier, but I want the actual present to turn up :-)

Can’t see why that would be a problem.

You can order things from Amazon Germany, Spain, Italy, etc. for delivery to your UK address (with the same log-on details) without an issue - it can be cheaper to order from the non-UK sites than the UK site. Sometimes the goods are delivered from that country, sometimes not. In fact I ordered a chair recently from the UK site - it went out of stock after ordering so it was sent from Milan.

Return to “Does anyone know?”