Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Niqabs / burqas

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Niqabs / burqas

Postby Clitheroekid » July 14th, 2020, 11:39 am

DAK whether a woman wearing a niqab / burqa would be legally obliged to wear a face mask when in shops / on public transport? It would seem rather pointless.

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Niqabs / burqas

Postby swill453 » July 14th, 2020, 11:51 am

Clitheroekid wrote:DAK whether a woman wearing a niqab / burqa would be legally obliged to wear a face mask when in shops / on public transport? It would seem rather pointless.

The requirement is specifically for a "face covering", not a "mask". So I'd imagine anything more would not be required.

Scott.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 14th, 2020, 11:59 am

swill453 wrote:The requirement is specifically for a "face covering", not a "mask". So I'd imagine anything more would not be required.

Scott.

Now there's a thought. Never expected to need a helmet with visor since I got rid of the motorbike. Would that count, if one could find a visor that didn't just instantly steam up when used indoors without the wind in ones face?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 14th, 2020, 12:20 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Now there's a thought. Never expected to need a helmet with visor since I got rid of the motorbike. Would that count, if one could find a visor that didn't just instantly steam up when used indoors without the wind in ones face?

I haven't seen the English rule, but the Scottish one is:
What is a face covering?
A face covering can be any covering of the mouth and nose that is made of cloth or other textiles and through which you can breathe.

Religious face coverings that cover the mouth and the nose count as face coverings for these purposes.

You may also use, if you prefer, a face visor but it must cover your nose and mouth completely.

So ... probably.

EDIT: reference https://www.gov.scot/publications/coron ... coverings/

Scott.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » July 14th, 2020, 1:14 pm

swill453 wrote:I haven't seen the English rule,

Based on recent experience, nobody will see it until 10pm on the 23rd (i.e. the very last minute)
Look under "UK Statutory Instruments" at https://www.legislation.gov.uk/new to keep tabs.

Some might say that there's a conspiracy to keep the details of the rules from the public, I personally doubt that the government possesses the requisite skills to off a conspiracy, which therefore points to cockup/incompetence.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 14th, 2020, 1:25 pm

pochisoldi wrote:

Based on recent experience, nobody will see it until 10pm on the 23rd (i.e. the very last minute)
Look under "UK Statutory Instruments" at https://www.legislation.gov.uk/new to keep tabs.

Some might say that there's a conspiracy to keep the details of the rules from the public, I personally doubt that the government possesses the requisite skills to off a conspiracy, which therefore points to cockup/incompetence.

Well if is to be a rule, as opposed to a "guideline" then it needs to go through that inconvenient process of becoming law. So it's hardly surprising the English rule hasn't been seen yet. It hasn't been processed, debated, rubber stamped, passed or whatever by parliament. It's not conspiracy/cockup/incompetence it's just process.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 14th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:DAK whether a woman wearing a niqab / burqa would be legally obliged to wear a face mask when in shops / on public transport? It would seem rather pointless.

It would seem that in Wales they probably would need to wear a mask as well as the First Minister has said they will be mandating for three layer face masks on public transport and a niqab / burqa probably isn’t - http://www.wrexham.com/news/three-layer ... 89515.html

However I think asking someone to remove their niqab / burqa to check might make the news.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 14th, 2020, 4:37 pm

dealtn wrote:
Well if is to be a rule, as opposed to a "guideline" then it needs to go through that inconvenient process of becoming law. So it's hardly surprising the English rule hasn't been seen yet. It hasn't been processed, debated, rubber stamped, passed or whatever by parliament. It's not conspiracy/cockup/incompetence it's just process.

do these come under "minsterial rules" which dont need an Act of parliament? Merely asking - i dunno :-)

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » July 14th, 2020, 4:41 pm

Ministerial Orders are normally a statutory instrument or secondary legislation which sort of goes through parliament.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 15th, 2020, 4:09 am

dealtn wrote:
pochisoldi wrote:

Hard to believe that it requires 10 days to process, stamp and pass the requisite legislation prior to implementation?
(I omitted debate as surely the u-turn implies they've done that)

If it really is a result of process and it's not just down to incompetence/cockup/intransigence/"or it doesn't really matter and we're only doing this under duress" then it doesn't bode well for being able to dynamically react to any crises.

DAK how long it took in Scotland for example?

-sd

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 15th, 2020, 8:51 am

servodude wrote:DAK how long it took in Scotland for example?

I believe we were told on 2nd July that it would take effect on 10th July. So, less of a gap than England but not hugely so.

Scott.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 15th, 2020, 9:16 am

I'd ask Clitheroekid - he will know :lol:

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » July 15th, 2020, 10:21 am

johnhemming wrote:Ministerial Orders are normally a statutory instrument or secondary legislation which sort of goes through parliament.

Example:

"The Secretary of State makes the following Regulations in exercise of the powers conferred by sections 45C(1), (3)(c), (4)(d), 45F(2) and 45P of the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984(1).

These Regulations are made in response to the serious and imminent threat to public health which is posed by the incidence and spread of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) in England.

The Secretary of State considers that the restrictions and requirements imposed by these Regulations are proportionate to what they seek to achieve, which is a public health response to that threat.

In accordance with section 45R of that Act the Secretary of State is of the opinion that, by reason of urgency, it is necessary to make this instrument without a draft having been laid before, and approved by a resolution of, each House of Parliament."

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/made

Current legislation is still being issued on the same basis.

DM

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » July 15th, 2020, 10:55 am

There may be an urgency thing, but there normally is a facility for parliament to vote down an SI rather than necessarily have the requirement that parliament votes through an SI. However, I am not going to check this to get it 100% right. There are different types of SI. However, if parliament has the ability to vote down an SI, but does not exercise its right to have a vote then arguably it still "sort of" goes through parliament.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 15th, 2020, 10:57 am

swill453 wrote:
servodude wrote:DAK how long it took in Scotland for example?

I believe we were told on 2nd July that it would take effect on 10th July. So, less of a gap than England but not hugely so.

Scott.

Thanks.
That also seems torpidly slow; just as well there was nothing urgent required.

-sd

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » July 15th, 2020, 10:59 am

The UK parliament can get a bill through both houses in a day. I personally don't think the masks are necessary. Hence I would not say they are urgent.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » July 15th, 2020, 11:34 am

johnhemming wrote:There may be an urgency thing, but there normally is a facility for parliament to vote down an SI rather than necessarily have the requirement that parliament votes through an SI. However, I am not going to check this to get it 100% right. There are different types of SI. However, if parliament has the ability to vote down an SI, but does not exercise its right to have a vote then arguably it still "sort of" goes through parliament.

My understanding is that by invoking emergency powers, the Government is by-passing all parliamentary scrutiny. A side effect of this is that the regulations are frequently being issued very late in the day. It is perhaps surprising that the Government is continuing to use the urgency argument, but that is even more OT.

DM

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » July 15th, 2020, 11:47 am

I don't know. I can find out if you would like me to do. I used to have a lot to do with SIs etc.

Return to “Does anyone know?”