Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

DAK the Droplet Size of Garden Mint?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
feder1
Lemon Slice

DAK the Droplet Size of Garden Mint?

Postby feder1 » July 22nd, 2020, 9:33 am

Mrs F was picking some mint the other day and within seconds the fragrance had wafted 5 m (16 ft) across the garden to me. There may have been a very tiny breeze.

I,m wondering how the droplet size compares with corona virus droplets with it,s very obvious connatation?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: DAK the Droplet Size of Garden Mint?

Postby Itsallaguess » July 22nd, 2020, 9:52 am

feder1 wrote:
Mrs F was picking some mint the other day and within seconds the fragrance had wafted 5 m (16 ft) across the garden to me. There may have been a very tiny breeze.

I'm wondering how the droplet size compares with corona virus droplets with it's very obvious connotation?

It's a good question, and it's one that's hopefully answered by these interesting articles -

If Masks Work, Why Can I Smell Farts?

[The coronavirus] has a diameter of about 125 nanometers.

https://medium.com/geek-physics/if-masks-work-why-can-i-smell-farts-c0b8e10323c6

The Sense of Smell

Do you smell something? Odor molecules are really small, at most a few nanometers in size.

https://www.nanooze.org/the-sense-of-smell/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 22nd, 2020, 9:57 am

There are quite a few varieties of mint, of course, including apple mint and super-strong peppermint. I find that chewing a leaf of the latter clears my nose and sinuses better than any hay fever tablet.

Chamomile and sage have pretty strong smells as well! But of droplet size I have no knowledge. :D

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 22nd, 2020, 8:31 pm

You can come up with lots of yardsticks for transmission of airborne substances. Congratulations on coming up with one that's actually pleasant: all my yardsticks have been the opposite! Two metres takes the edge off a fresh dog or horse mess, for instance - though of course you can still smell them.
The worst one: 2 metres is hopelessly inadequate clearance for a smoker even outdoors. Depending on the weather, even 200 may be insufficient.

Mint is a scent to which the humans are particularly sensitive. Other species - for example, some moths - can not merely detect but home right in on the merest hint of pheromones a mile off.

Best justification I can think of for two metres is to picture myself on a bus, noting someone nearby with obvious symptoms of a lurgy. At two metres I reckon my chances of coming out uninfected are pretty good - though the further the better.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 22nd, 2020, 9:15 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:You can come up with lots of yardsticks for transmission of airborne substances. Congratulations on coming up with one that's actually pleasant: all my yardsticks have been the opposite! Two metres takes the edge off a fresh dog or horse mess, for instance - though of course you can still smell them.

The worst one: 2 metres is hopelessly inadequate clearance for a smoker even outdoors. Depending on the weather, even 200 may be insufficient.

Or worse still, consider the skunk:

"Muscles located next to the scent glands allow them to spray with a high degree of accuracy, as far as 3 m (10 ft). The spray can also cause irritation and even temporary blindness, and is sufficiently powerful to be detected by a human nose up to 5.6 km (3.5 miles) downwind."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk#:~: ... .5%20miles)%20downwind.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » July 28th, 2020, 10:32 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:The worst one: 2 metres is hopelessly inadequate clearance for a smoker even outdoors. Depending on the weather, even 200 may be insufficient.
I maintain to this day that I can tell if the car being driven in front of me has a smoker on board. A vaper is obvious as the car looks a little bit like Casey Jones's train. C.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » August 10th, 2020, 7:36 pm

Am I permitted a sub-question re mint? I need to know why all mine is covered in mildew, just when I need it to top my cheat Pimms which is infinitely better and less sweet than the bought variety. Is it too little or too much water or something else? I should have said that it WAS covered in mildew. I have now chopped it down in the hope of getting new growth.

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » August 10th, 2020, 9:53 pm

mint... I need to know why all mine is covered in mildew, ... Is it too little or too much water or something else?

I don't know about the mildew but I very much doubt it can be from too much water. I have taken cuttings and put them in water and within a week they are putting out roots, in a few more weeks quite a decent bundle of roots.

Being worried I'd forget to top up the water jar, last week I planted them out. (I'll probably forget to water the b's now)

But having it's feet in water doesn't seem to bother mint, at least for several weeks.

Too little water I'd have thought would dry it out. Maybe it is just in the wrong place, or a bunch of defective mint?

"This 'ere mint you sold me seems to be dead"

"No sir, they all do that, it's just restin'" (etc)

I believe the Romans used Water Mint. Good strong flavour. Big leaves too.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » August 10th, 2020, 10:06 pm

It's been here for years with no probs. so I guess it must be something to do with this hot weather. I have given it a good watering tonight but maybe I need to dig it up and start again in the spare time and with the energy I don't have. .

Return to “Does anyone know?”