Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

How to lift someone who is on hands and knees

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
stewamax
Lemon Quarter

How to lift someone who is on hands and knees

Postby stewamax » March 21st, 2021, 10:24 pm

Pulling up someone infirm who has fallen and is sitting on the ground is usually a doddle*.
But I was visiting an elderly relative who had stumbled and was on his hands and knees. I would have asked him to crawl to the nearest chair or low piece of furniture for him to place his hands on while I repositioned one of his feet forward so he could slowly rise, but there was absolutely nothing suitable within range.
I eventually got him to turn over and assume a sitting position from which I lifted him as described earlier.

There must be a better way; any ideas please, nurses and First Aiders ?

* the usual "grasp crossed wrists, put ones toes on top of the individuals toes to stop them moving forward, and just slowly lean back"

PhaseThree

Re: How to lift someone who is on hands and knees

Postby PhaseThree » March 21st, 2021, 10:35 pm

Eventually we ended up getting one of these. The individual we are trying to lift is just too heavy, their body strength is non-existant and hence the danger of injury is just too great. This is what the emergency services use as a lifting device.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mangar-ELK-E ... SwECtfnBN0

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 22nd, 2021, 9:35 am

If someone elderly has fallen, would it not be better to call an ambulance? Besides receiving help to lift someone, the ambulance crew would carry out a examination. In addition, one should consider the use of emergency wrist band or pendant to call for help if the person falls and is alone (£16 per month - ballpark).

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » March 22nd, 2021, 9:44 am

monabri wrote:If someone elderly has fallen, would it not be better to call an ambulance? Besides receiving help to lift someone, the ambulance crew would carry out a examination. In addition, one should consider the use of emergency wrist band or pendant to call for help if the person falls and is alone (£16 per month - ballpark).

Great idea - and what we would do if we lived anywhere near a large enough settlement to support an ambulance station or wristband support network. The reality is that an in the case of an emergency it takes 45 minutes for an ambulance to arrive, for cases deemed "non life threatening" you can expect to be waiting for hours.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » March 22nd, 2021, 12:44 pm

monabri wrote:If someone elderly has fallen, would it not be better to call an ambulance? Besides receiving help to lift someone, the ambulance crew would carry out a examination. In addition, one should consider the use of emergency wrist band or pendant to call for help if the person falls and is alone (£16 per month - ballpark).

Or if/when they go into hospital, see if you can get the "callout device" thing provided by NHS/local council social care dept as part of the patient's care package prior to discharge.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 22nd, 2021, 1:45 pm

The emergency call out device is connected to a phone line. If an elderly person falls at home and is alone, they might struggle to get to a phone for help. Trying to incorrectly pick up an elderly frail person is not easy and can do harm if not done correctly, especially if broken bones or even, commonly, a fractured hip bone. A 45 minute wait for an ambulance might be preferable to a wait until relatives or home care arrive and find them in a heap having spent the night on the floor.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 22nd, 2021, 8:16 pm

monabri wrote:The emergency call out device is connected to a phone line. If an elderly person falls at home and is alone, they might struggle to get to a phone for help.
It doesn't work like that. They don't need to get to the phone. When you push the button the whole place is filled with the loud sound of the call going through. You speak in your fallen position and conduct the conversation like that. I've witnessed my ancient mum doing this (for test purposes) several times. C.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 22nd, 2021, 8:22 pm

csearle wrote:
monabri wrote:The emergency call out device is connected to a phone line. If an elderly person falls at home and is alone, they might struggle to get to a phone for help.
It doesn't work like that. They don't need to get to the phone. When you push the button the whole place is filled with the loud sound of the call going through. You speak in your fallen position and conduct the conversation like that. I've witnessed my ancient mum doing this (for test purposes) several times. C.

Same for my mum. And if she is too far away from the box on the wall and cannot converse, the call centre calls one of several named contacts or calls the emergency services if necessary

--kiloran

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 22nd, 2021, 10:07 pm

csearle wrote:

Sorry, I didn't elaborate but it is how you say! My MIL has the emergency pendant and her younger brother a wristband. They encourage " test runs " to check all is working.

Return to “Does anyone know?”