Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

written track and trace and GDPR

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
didds
Lemon Half

written track and trace and GDPR

Postby didds » April 12th, 2021, 12:58 pm

i was out the other day and was asked to T&T on entry to a venue (a garden). NP . Somebody after me didnt have a smart phone and so was of course to write their contact details down.

The staff member then had a minor panic as she realised/thought/believed that probably she couldnt just leave an open list of names and addresses in full view of "anybody" on a sheet. So she went and got a box, creating a slot in the top, and tore up slips of paper for people to register on and post in the slot/box.

All very commendable etc, and no issues with it.

But is GDPR an issue in this regard? Only asking out of interest etc - Ive no skin the game either way (particularly as I have a smart phone ! LOL)

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: written track and trace and GDPR

Postby richlist » April 12th, 2021, 2:32 pm

Well, if you are so inclined.....once you know Mr & Mrs Bloggs are spending a couple of hours looking around or sitting in a garden.....it's a good opportunity to go break into their property and pick up some valuables.

I don't have a smart phone and when I've been asked for details they have only requested a phone number not an address.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » April 12th, 2021, 7:37 pm

This occured to me last year. At the Duke or York in the Pantiles, Tunbridge Wells, I was asked to write my name and number as the next entry on a printed table on an A4 page. The girl in front of me (far too young alas) was an absolute stunner and I had her name and telephone number! Tragically after three pints I could only just remember my own name let alone hers*.

Chris
*Exaggeration for dramatic effect.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » April 12th, 2021, 7:43 pm

and therein lies the flaw with the system.......nobody checks if you've given the correct name, address or phone number.

No wonder large numbers of people can never be tracked or traced !

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 12th, 2021, 9:51 pm

csearle wrote:The girl in front of me (far too young alas) was an absolute stunner and I had her name and telephone number!

She's not too young[1]. You're too old.

[1] Guessing from the context of a pub, and the implication that she was there in her own right rather than in the care of a responsible adult.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » April 13th, 2021, 8:07 am

When the GDPR regulations were introduced written records were excluded.

I suspect that hasn't changed and a web search shows it still to be true.

Why would written records be excluded? Well there are a lot of them that exist that are not actively maintained.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 13th, 2021, 9:33 am

richlist wrote:
I don't have a smart phone and when I've been asked for details they have only requested a phone number not an address.

no name with it - as personally identifying information ?

(I appreciate lack of address means the burglary opportunbity is unolikely to now occur :-) )

UPDATE: UD has explained written records are excluded from GDPR requirements now :-)

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » April 13th, 2021, 10:04 am

didds wrote:
richlist wrote:

(I appreciate lack of address means the burglary opportunbity is unolikely to now occur :-) )

UPDATE: UD has explained written records are excluded from GDPR requirements now :-)

It may be that manual/paper records are outside the scope of GDPR (don't know but I'll assume this is correct), but they are not excluded for the Data Protection Act - which still applies. More detail for this particular scenario on the ICO website:

https://ico.org.uk/global/data-protecti ... -purposes/

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » April 13th, 2021, 10:36 am

didds wrote:
richlist wrote:

Yes of course they ask for a name to go with the contact details but it's a phone number not an address.

Last summer during the 'eat out to help out' campaign we discovered that a restaurant we'd eaten in a couple of days earlier had closed down due to a break out of the virus among staff members. We expected a phone call......it didn't happen.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 13th, 2021, 1:26 pm

richlist wrote:and therein lies the flaw with the system.......nobody checks if you've given the correct name, address or phone number.

It is in the customer's interest that he/she be contacted if there was a case at that premises at that time.

One way around it is to give a fake name but a correct phone number. You maintain your privacy but can still be contacted.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » April 13th, 2021, 1:56 pm

Lootman wrote:
richlist wrote:and therein lies the flaw with the system.......nobody checks if you've given the correct name, address or phone number.

It is in the customer's interest that he/she be contacted if there was a case at that premises at that time.

Thats really not the case.....in fact, if anything it's NOT been in the customers interest. There have been numerous reports of people not being willing to take part because they loose income whilst isolating at home.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » April 13th, 2021, 3:45 pm

Moderator Message:
Please can we keep the discussion to the original question which was about the application of GDPR to written T&T records. This forum is not for extended discussion anyway, and more general COVID discussion should take place in the dedicated boards for that topic.

Thanks

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » April 15th, 2021, 11:03 am

Moderator Message:
A couple of off-topic replies (following my previous request to stay on-topic) have been removed. As this topic seems to have run its course now, I am locking it.

Return to “Does anyone know?”