Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Toppled box ?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
DeepSporran
Lemon Pip

Toppled box ?

Postby DeepSporran » April 24th, 2021, 6:37 pm

This metal box mounted on a post has fallen over. The base of the hollow post has corroded away (dog pee probably). There are cables running down from the box through the post and into the hole in the ground into which the post originally fitted. The box plus post is probably about 1 metre high if stood upright.

I wondered if it contains some switchgear or control system for street lighting.

It is located to the side of a shared cycle/footpath next to a canal in a suburban setting.

If I knew what it was I could report its dangerous state(live wiring?) to the council street lighting people or Openreach or somebody.

Does anyone know what the box is ?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Toppled box ?

Postby Mike4 » April 24th, 2021, 7:54 pm

You say next to a canal. Is it actually next to a lock?

If yes it will probably be counting fill/empty cycles of the lock.

DeepSporran
Lemon Pip

Postby DeepSporran » April 24th, 2021, 8:39 pm

It’s a long way from any lock. Nearest locks are probably at least 1 mile in either direction. I regularly walk or cycle along the towpath so I’m familiar with lock locations.

There are streetlights along the cycle footpath which i thought might be relevant.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 24th, 2021, 8:43 pm

DeepSporran wrote:It’s a long way from any lock. Nearest locks are probably at least 1 mile in either direction. I regularly walk or cycle along the towpath so I’m familiar with lock locations.

There are streetlights along the cycle footpath which i thought might be relevant.

If it is a towpath then CRT (Canal and River Trust) is prolly the body to report it to.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/contact- ... contact-us

DeepSporran
Lemon Pip

Postby DeepSporran » April 24th, 2021, 9:26 pm

I might try the CRT but the cycle/footpath isn’t the towpath which is actually on the far side of the canal along this stretch. The cycle/footpath approaches the canal, runs parallel for 100 yards, then crosses bridge over canal and heads off away from canal. The box is about 20 feet from canal bank, with hedge and grassy verge separating path from canal.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 25th, 2021, 7:37 am

If you feel like doing anything I would let the local Council know and them leave it at that. If it is of value, presumably something will stop working and somebody will come along and do something about it.

Dod

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 25th, 2021, 8:26 am

Looks like an old 'traffic counter' box - often put in when cycle paths were installed. There should be a couple of diamond shaped 'loops' cut into the tarmac that detect cycles going over. Generally they have a solar panel on top and a couple of 6V burglar alarm batteries inside.

Councils get money to put these things in, but with no budget for ongoing maintenance. Go forwards 20-25 years, people left, the ones installing them never kept proper electronic records, so there is a lot of old kit out there that Councils don't know about or who owns it. Same story with a lot of the old 'speedvisor' type flashing signs.

Paul

DeepSporran
Lemon Pip

Postby DeepSporran » April 25th, 2021, 8:47 am

DrFfybes wrote:Looks like an old 'traffic counter' box - often put in when cycle paths were installed. There should be a couple of diamond shaped 'loops' cut into the tarmac that detect cycles going over. Generally they have a solar panel on top and a couple of 6V burglar alarm batteries inside

I think you’ve cracked the mystery - thanks. There are indeed diamond shaped loops in the tarmac nearby which had puzzled me in the past as I associate them with traffic lights on normal roads - didn’t realise that cycles were heavy enough to trigger the sensors under the surface.

No solar panel on the box, but I guess it gets power from the street lighting circuits.

I’ll call the council about it. The path is heavily used twice a day as it’s the main route to a secondary school. Wouldn’t want the kids to be larking out with it and electrocuting anyone.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

mark88man
2 Lemon pips

Postby mark88man » April 25th, 2021, 10:08 am

fascinating - random brains on the internet win again

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » April 25th, 2021, 10:20 am

mark88man wrote:fascinating - random brains on the internet win again
These are not just brains; these are TLF brains.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 25th, 2021, 5:35 pm

DeepSporran wrote:
I think you’ve cracked the mystery - thanks. There are indeed diamond shaped loops in the tarmac nearby which had puzzled me in the past as I associate them with traffic lights on normal roads - didn’t realise that cycles were heavy enough to trigger the sensors under the surface.

No solar panel on the box, but I guess it gets power from the street lighting circuits.

I’ll call the council about it. The path is heavily used twice a day as it’s the main route to a secondary school. Wouldn’t want the kids to be larking out with it and electrocuting anyone.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

If it is mains powered, then there is normally a feeder pillar nearby or next to it, but as it is so old to have rusted through then it could be tapped off a nearby lighting column - needs to be a wide post to get an isolator in.

Try and find a number stamped on it or on a nearby light as this will help them find it - streetlights should all be numbered and the maintanence contractor will have the co-ordinates on their system.

Paul

DeepSporran
Lemon Pip

Postby DeepSporran » April 25th, 2021, 7:14 pm

I took a look on the council website, roads section, and was able to report the issue surprisingly easily. I could drop a pin on a map to indicate precise location and attach a photo. Along with my description of the problem they should find the box with no difficulty.

Thanks again for your valuable input.

Return to “Does anyone know?”