Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Blue Badge parking ticket question

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Jopo1
Lemon Pip

Blue Badge parking ticket question

Postby Jopo1 » May 13th, 2021, 11:02 am

Asking on behalf of my parents.....

Last week they got a parking ticket - they displayed their blue badge in the windscreen, but didn't notice the other condition on the information board that they also had to display the time clock. So they didn't display the clock and got a ticket.

However.... the ticket states that they didn't display their blue badge, nothing about the clock not being displayed.

So, do they have a leg to stand on if they challenge it? Or is the reason stated on the ticket valid because the clock and blue badge have to be displayed together?

Thanks

Jopo1

Jopo1
Lemon Pip

Re: Blue Badge parking ticket question

Postby Jopo1 » May 13th, 2021, 11:28 am

Ah, forget I asked.....

I asked my parents to send me a photo of the ticket. They hadn't given me all the info. The reason stated on the ticket is "failure to display the blue badge in the prescribed manner, the prescribed manner being WITH the clock. So they haven't got a leg to stand on unfortunately.

Jopo1

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » May 13th, 2021, 12:08 pm

A bit late now, but it is worth getting into the habit of using the "clock" every time. Only takes a second or two and saves having to check the conditions whenever parking somewhere new.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » May 14th, 2021, 11:58 am

Jopo1 wrote:Ah, forget I asked.....
I asked my parents to send me a photo of the ticket. They hadn't given me all the info. The reason stated on the ticket is "failure to display the blue badge in the prescribed manner, the prescribed manner being WITH the clock. So they haven't got a leg to stand on unfortunately.Jopo1

Depends.
1) Where was the notice?
2) How large was the notice?
3) How large was the text?
4) Was this clause clearly emphasised at the entrance or was it buried in small print that was impossible to read from an entering vehicle?

Appeal with a photo!

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » May 15th, 2021, 12:10 pm

supremetwo wrote:
Jopo1 wrote:Ah, forget I asked.....
I asked my parents to send me a photo of the ticket. They hadn't given me all the info. The reason stated on the ticket is "failure to display the blue badge in the prescribed manner, the prescribed manner being WITH the clock. So they haven't got a leg to stand on unfortunately.Jopo1

Depends.
1) Where was the notice?
2) How large was the notice?
3) How large was the text?
4) Was this clause clearly emphasised at the entrance or was it buried in small print that was impossible to read from an entering vehicle?

Appeal with a photo!

It's a blue badge - it comes with a clock and a clear explanation how to use it.

Car park signage is irrelevant.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » May 15th, 2021, 1:53 pm

pochisoldi wrote:It's a blue badge - it comes with a clock and a clear explanation how to use it.
Car park signage is irrelevant.

No it is not.

If there is no time limit for a disabled badge holder, you don't need to set the clock.

Also, was the recipient of the ticket parked over whatever time was clearly defined for badge holders on the parking site notice?

It costs nothing to appeal.

Jopo1
Lemon Pip

Postby Jopo1 » May 27th, 2021, 8:37 pm

supremetwo wrote:
pochisoldi wrote:It costs nothing to appeal.

It costs a lot unfortunately - if you don't pay quickly, the fine doubles, and the appeal will take you over the date for the cheaper fine.

They paid it on my advice.

Jopo

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 27th, 2021, 9:30 pm

Jopo1 wrote:It costs a lot unfortunately - if you don't pay quickly, the fine doubles, and the appeal will take you over the date for the cheaper fine.

Was this council? The discounted fine is normally held while an appeal is in progress. If an appeal is rejected, the discounted rate will still apply if the fine is paid within the next 14 days.

From Citizens Advice,
You broke the parking rules by mistake

It's still worth appealing - the Equality Act 2010 means Blue Badge holders must be treated with understanding and can’t be discriminated against.

Make sure you explain in your appeal why you misunderstood the parking rules, including if:

your disability made it hard for you to understand the rules, for example a sign was a long way away and you can’t walk far to read it
the signs or road markings weren’t clear, for example if it was dark and they were badly lit

See appealing a parking ticket for what to do next

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-a ... lue-badge/

Unfortunately, once a ticket has been paid, it is treated as an admission of guilt.

Julian F. G. W.

baldchap
Lemon Slice

Postby baldchap » May 27th, 2021, 10:33 pm

Jopo1 wrote:
supremetwo wrote:
pochisoldi wrote:It costs nothing to appeal.

It costs a lot unfortunately - if you don't pay quickly, the fine doubles, and the appeal will take you over the date for the cheaper fine.

They paid it on my advice.

Jopo

Are we talking about a PCN or a real Parking Ticket.
i.e. is it issued by a private car park company (cowboys) or the council/police?

Either way, i recommend

http://forums.pepipoo.com/

Return to “Does anyone know?”