Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Ebay negative feedback time limit.

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Mike4
Lemon Half

Ebay negative feedback time limit.

Postby Mike4 » May 21st, 2021, 11:57 am

I've just been dicked about by an Ebay seller and on trying to leave negative feedback, I got the error message:

"It looks like you already left Feedback or you waited longer than our policy allows."

Now this looks to me like an attempt by Ebay to stem the amount of negative feedback being left, as I have not left feedback yet, and the item in only four days overdue. I think it is unreasonable to time-limit leaving of negative feedback so tightly.

So, does anyone know of a way around this please? I feel buyers deserve to know when sellers sell stuff, fail to dispatch it then ignore messages, but Ebay are preventing me in this case. I even offered to go and collect the item personally, but no response.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Re: Ebay negative feedback time limit.

Postby Lanark » May 21st, 2021, 12:57 pm

does anyone know of a way around this please?

I doubt theres any way, ebay seem to do whatever they want, I have left negative feedback for a large seller (Argos) after I was ripped off and it was quietly and silently removed. I don't trust any of the feedback ratings when they are controlled by the people making a profit.

Also the third party sites like TrustPilot are no better.

The only recommendations worth a damn are from people you personally know.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 21st, 2021, 1:23 pm

Mike4 wrote:does anyone know of a way around this please?

Positive feedback that points out the seller's weak points?

3 stars "Total fud. Posted eventually"
?
-sd

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 21st, 2021, 7:43 pm

Neg feedback cannot be left for some sellers until... seven days after receipt IIRC.
There is a general time limit of 60 days.

Today I was refunded by a seller for an item that never arrived. I doubt it was ever sent and I was going to leave Neg feedback accordingly or perhaps Neutral.
But the item has totally vanished from my purchase history, so the seller is protected.

On the whole I trust eBay feedback infinitely more than other sites... Amazon? reviews? pfft, one reason I don't use Amazon.

As an intermittent seller on eBay, I wish people would actually leave feedback. So many can't be [expletive deleted], which seems rude and undermines the site.

V8

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 21st, 2021, 8:47 pm

88V8 wrote:Neg feedback cannot be left for some sellers until... seven days after receipt IIRC.
There is a general time limit of 60 days.

Today I was refunded by a seller for an item that never arrived. I doubt it was ever sent and I was going to leave Neg feedback accordingly or perhaps Neutral.
But the item has totally vanished from my purchase history, so the seller is protected.

Aha I can help you there! I had the same problem. After clicking on contact the seller/where is my item? I found my question automatically generated a "dispute" without me initially wanting to make a dispute about it (I thought I was simply enquiring where it was) and it disappeared from my purchase list too. But I found it again! Secretively lurking in the "hidden purchases" tab. Another strategy of ebay to prevent people posting negative feedback, I suspect.

But even if you find your missing item behind that tab (why would you want to 'hide' purchases anyway?), I predict it will give you the same message I got, saying you left it too late to leave negative.

As an intermittent seller on eBay, I wish people would actually leave feedback. So many can't be [expletive deleted], which seems rude and undermines the site.

I've always taken the trouble to leave feedback but now they have made it simply too difficult. Yes it's easy enough for one purchase in isolation but I make approx ten purchases per week and back in the day, auto-fill worked and I could batch-enter good feedback on 20 or 30 purchases in five or ten minutes. Now they've made the feedback page a lot less slick with so many parameters to select from, it is no longer quick and easy, so it becomes quite a chore and frankly, I no longer bother unless the seller specifically PMed me to say something specific, e.g they posted it this afternoon!

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » May 22nd, 2021, 8:11 pm

When I buy from an eBay seller I leave (positive) feedback only if the seller leaves feedback first acknowledging my prompt payment. Few do so I leave equally little positive feedback. The main exception seems to be the Chinese purveyors of anything and everything who seem to be quite scrupulous about leaving positive feedback on payment though they’re not always due positive feedback in return.

Mike4 wrote: I found my question automatically generated a "dispute" without me initially wanting to make a dispute about it (I thought I was simply enquiring where it was) and it disappeared from my purchase list too. But I found it again! Secretively lurking in the "hidden purchases" tab. Another strategy of ebay to prevent people posting negative feedback, I suspect.

Yes I’ve been irritated by this too and inadvertently raised a dispute. Silly site design.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 23rd, 2021, 9:59 am

Mike4 wrote:
88V8 wrote:Today I was refunded by a seller for an item that never arrived. I doubt it was ever sent ...the item has totally vanished from my purchase history, so the seller is protected.

I had the same problem. After clicking on contact the seller/where is my item? I found my question automatically generated a "dispute" without me initially wanting to make a dispute about it ...I found it again! Secretively lurking in the "hidden purchases" tab.
But even if you find your missing item behind that tab ... I predict it will give you the same message I got, saying you left it too late to leave negative.

Thankyou.
Not only is it hidden, it's double-hidden, because if you use the Summary screen as I usually do, when you click the Hidden box it appears but you can't do anything with it.
You have to go into the Purchase History screen, then select Hidden, then you can get at it to leave feedback.
In the event I left Neutral because she did refund me. I could see from her previous feedback that she has form at apparently not sending things. Sometimes I read the past feedback before making a purchase, in this case it was small change so I didn't but it's still irritating when things don't arrive.
Neutral is a bit useless as it doesn't reduce their %age score, but it felt cruel to leave Neg.

Mike4 wrote:I found my question automatically generated a "dispute" without me initially wanting to make a dispute about it (I thought I was simply enquiring where it was) and it disappeared from my purchase list too.

The way to avoid this is to ask a question using the heading 'Other'. If that does not bear fruit, use the Didn't Receive header to escalate.

If you read all the wailing on the eBay users' forum, you'd wonder why anyone bothers to use eBay. I gnashed my teeth when they changed the Selling platform recently. But I have over 1600 feedback and it's my go-to for buying pretty much anything I can't find in our local physical shops, and of course all the old stuff I love, so I persevere.

V8

Return to “Does anyone know?”