Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Passport renewal in these times

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Passport renewal in these times

Postby Sunnypad » June 6th, 2021, 11:39 am

Hi
DAK
In the current times, if I renew my passport online, do I still need witnessed photos and signatures? And will I need to send the old one to the Passport Office, I know it takes 10 weeks to get the new one?

Thanks.

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Passport renewal in these times

Postby pje16 » June 6th, 2021, 12:31 pm

I recently renewed mine online
It took a few weeks but not 10 more like 6 or 7
You don't need a witnessed photo, just a headshot against a light background
The photo submission page on the site tells you more about it
BTW the online check rejected my photo, I couldn't understand why as it followed all the rules and it was accepted by the humans even though the computer said "No" :D
You do need to send the old one in, not sure what to do if you've lost it, but they do send it back (not at the same time as they issue it though)

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » June 6th, 2021, 1:57 pm

Thanks
It's a pain to have to send it in

I have a number of things to do as PofA for mum and can't work out whether to get it over with or wait.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 6th, 2021, 9:16 pm

They are fussy about the quality of the photograph. Reflections on glasses, eyes part closed, shadows here and there. They tell you if the picture is not acceptable.

TJH

goggog

Postby goggog » June 7th, 2021, 9:36 am

First time post after lurking for many years.

I recently used an app photoAID, absolutely great, no need to worry about the background, they edit it. I sent one and they requested another, eventually got a good one which was accepted. All for £5

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 7th, 2021, 9:39 am

tjh290633 wrote:They are fussy about the quality of the photograph. Reflections on glasses, eyes part closed, shadows here and there. They tell you if the picture is not acceptable.

You are supposed to remove glasses for a passport photo. Likewise when your face is biometrically scanned at an airport. Presumably the two are related.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 7th, 2021, 9:47 am

goggog wrote:no need to worry about the background, they edit it. I sent one and they requested another All for £5

A dark background will be rejected - I know that as my first attempt was rejected
I just used my phone - free :D

goggog

Postby goggog » June 7th, 2021, 10:08 am

Sorry, I should have said that photoAID edit the picture until they are happy that it will be approved, if rejected you can go back to them as often as needed, for the same £5

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » June 7th, 2021, 1:12 pm

Lootman wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:They are fussy about the quality of the photograph. Reflections on glasses, eyes part closed, shadows here and there. They tell you if the picture is not acceptable.

You are supposed to remove glasses for a passport photo. Likewise when your face is biometrically scanned at an airport. Presumably the two are related.

Not anymore. I renewed mine recently glasses and warts photo. Took a while to get one the passport people would accept though.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » June 7th, 2021, 1:13 pm

I used one of those passport printing companies a few years ago, but if you can now submit a digital photo yourself I don't think there's any need, its not that difficult to resize/crop an image to the right proportions.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 7th, 2021, 1:18 pm

seagles wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Not anymore. I renewed mine recently glasses and warts photo. Took a while to get one the passport people would accept though.

Are you certain? The guy who took the pictures for my passport renewal just last week told me to remove my glasses. This was at Timpsons - is it possible that they have outdated information?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » June 7th, 2021, 1:25 pm

Lootman wrote:
seagles wrote:
Lootman wrote:You are supposed to remove glasses for a passport photo. Likewise when your face is biometrically scanned at an airport. Presumably the two are related.

Are you certain? The guy who took the pictures for my passport renewal just last week told me to remove my glasses. This was at Timpsons - is it possible that they have outdated information?

The official advice is "Do not wear glasses in your photo unless you have to do so." So not very clear as there is no further definition of what this means. https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports

I normally wear glasses but my passport photo is without. At the airport scanning machines they don't as a rule tell you to take off glasses. Sometimes individuals advise you to. I find it usually works either way.

Scott.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 7th, 2021, 1:37 pm

swill453 wrote:
Lootman wrote:
seagles wrote:Not anymore. I renewed mine recently glasses and warts photo. Took a while to get one the passport people would accept though.

The official advice is "Do not wear glasses in your photo unless you have to do so." So not very clear as there is no further definition of what this means. https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports

I normally wear glasses but my passport photo is without. At the airport scanning machines they don't as a rule tell you to take off glasses. Sometimes individuals advise you to. I find it usually works either way.

I think I have noticed that the face-scanners work a little better without wearing glasses, although perhaps that depends on whether you wore them in your passport photo.

That said I do not like face scanners and there is always a manual option. Not just for the Big Brother aspect but also it means I have to take off and hold my glasses - one more thing to juggle at the barrier or gate.

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » June 7th, 2021, 4:40 pm

swill453 wrote:
Lootman wrote:
seagles wrote:Not anymore. I renewed mine recently glasses and warts photo. Took a while to get one the passport people would accept though.

Scott.

They have updated/changed this since I renenewed mine in March. Then the wording was slightly different in that it said roughly "if you normally wear glasses then you do not need to remove them". To be honest I would not have been able to take a photo without my glasses. :twisted:

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » June 7th, 2021, 5:24 pm

Sunnypad wrote:Hi
DAK
In the current times, if I renew my passport online, do I still need witnessed photos and signatures? And will I need to send the old one to the Passport Office, I know it takes 10 weeks to get the new one?

Thanks.

My wife applied for her first British passport recently. She made the passport application online, used a passport photo machine that had an online link up and which provided a reference number to input in the passport application. She gave the the name of a reference who was contacted online by email to verify her identity and photo (within minutes of making the application). We sent the supporting documents the same day by guaranteed next day delivery. She received her passport within approximately 2 weeks and received online updates by text and email (as requested) along the way. Though she is still waiting for the supporting documents to be returned.

(I understood she could, as an alternative, have taken a photo (selfie) herself and uploaded it.)

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » June 7th, 2021, 8:41 pm

richfool wrote:used a passport photo machine that had an online link up and which provided a reference number to input in the passport application.

I think this is usually now a standard feature of the photo booths you find in major supermarkets, Boots etc.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » June 8th, 2021, 11:39 pm

*richfool* I hope the referee thing was because it was her first?

Thank you for all the photo information everyone.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » June 9th, 2021, 9:04 am

Sunnypad wrote:*richfool* I hope the referee thing was because it was her first?

Thank you for all the photo information everyone.

Referee/passport photo counter-signatory.
My wife applied for her first British passport recently.

All documents now returned, so within 4 weeks.

Return to “Does anyone know?”